• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Golf-boy

Golf-boy

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 10:12 AM

hey, i have only been playing golf for 3 months now and i was just wonderin how to work out a stableford score.
Thanx

#2 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 10:28 AM

depends on ur handicap...

easy example...
HCP -18 (means a stroke a hole)
So bogey every hole, you end up with 2 points for a 'handicapped' par, meaning 36 points for the game.

If you par one of the holes, you get 3 points for a 'nett' birdie...
If you double bogey one of the holes, you only get 1 point for a 'nett' bogey...any more than a double...don't waste time, just pick up the ball...

Play more stableford and par event's and you'll get the hang of it...

Mid-High handicappers love playing stableford events...reward is so much greater...I prefer playing par...I feel that it evens out the playing competition... smile.gif
*then I'll prob curse myself for birdie on a stroke hole...*

Mw.

#3 sharkboy

sharkboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationNewcastle NSW

Posted 06 December 2002 - 11:09 AM

Hmmmm

I was playing with a guy the other day and his handicap was 28. What happens when he makes a bogey on a par three with an index of 6?
The card only had a single index ie not duel.
One guy with the social club who seems to know the rules back to front said if it was a single index card then he gets 2 shots on a par three whereas if it was a duel index card that would not be the case...
I'm kinda confused and was hoping someone might clear up the 'can you get 2 shots on a par 3?' question.

#4 Golf-boy

Golf-boy

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 11:21 AM

Thanks a lot mau... I think i understand how to work it all out now! biggrin.gif
Cheers

#5 Marcus

Marcus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 06:40 PM

sharkboy

Some course have dual indexs in that the index may be 1/24 which means that you would only get 2 shots on the hole if your handicap was 24 or above. If it was a single index then of you were on 19 or above you would 2 shots on the hole

The guy in your social club is not entirely correct. The par three <u>may</u> have 2 shots under a par 3 in a dual index but it all depends on how the course has been indexed

Hope that helps

#6 duke750

duke750

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 07:18 PM

Like mau, I prefer Par events to stableford even though my handicap is currently 18. You tend to concentrate more in Par and not be as cavalier as you might be in stableford. Par bisque is an interesting event. You get to nominate how many of your handicap strokes you want to take on a hole, after you complete the hole.

By the way, Sharkboy, I thought that the maximum AGU handicap for men was 27.

#7 sharkboy

sharkboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationNewcastle NSW

Posted 08 December 2002 - 01:07 PM

Yo Duke

I was playing with a social club, where there seems to be no limit on your handicap...
The highest handicap i have seen in the social club is 42! 8O

#8 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 09:46 PM

Hmm, no wonder I can never beat you in matchplay Sharkboy. :wink: laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users