324 replies to this topic

#31 Gripnrip

Gripnrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:24 PM

I 'd be keen to hear from those who have played the new course at Mt. Derrimut. A couple of positive course reviews have given it the thumbs up without going into any great detail in regard to course layout and course condition. I notice Golflink tee times are being advertised on the Golflink website. I'm gonna check it out on Tuesday 30th. Will let you ISGers know what I think.

#32 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:42 PM

I am a member there. I joined 18 mths ago and I only played one round at the old course. If I had my time over I probably would still want to join but I reckon it would be better to join in a year or two years time. The fees for the year starting 1 Sep 2008 are now 7 day $1,195 6 day $1,015 5 day $800 Its a nice course layout wise with lots of memorable holes. In my opinion the wind really adds something to the course as well. It has some good elevation changes (unlike most of the Western suburbs and I don't just mean the golf courses). The club had a succession of delays with the recycled water system - should have been operational more than a year ago and has only just become operational. They also have warranty issues with a few bunkers and a couple of other things - these are annoying but won't matter in the long run. When they moved in November the course was in pretty good order but the lack of water has had a major impact on the condition of the fairways and greens. I expect that they will come good again so eventually I guess they will be okay. Unlike the fairways the rough is in good order and its pretty nasty 2-4 inches deep in most parts. A few people are pretty grumpy at the moment, but you would have to say that the club is a lot better off at the new venue than the old site. I guess it will be interesting to see what the member count is at the end of the month after the grace period runs out. You can check out their message board using the link below. http://mtderrimutgol...orums/index.php

#33 Gripnrip

Gripnrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:11 AM

Thanks JP. I guess you just got to give a new course time to mature. Croydon's track is also copping a pounding at present, but should bounce back in the coming months. Good to hear Sunshine have their recycled water supply all sorted. That will have to make a difference come the hot summer months.

#34 PortlandChris

PortlandChris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:37 AM

As a newish member of the club I thought I woould second JP_Mel 's post. Given a few years this course will be the jewell of the west. We "westies" don't have the choice of those on the other side of town however this will hold its own with many out that way. Lack of water over last summer caused a few issues, however as JP mentioned there will be plenty of water this summer which will see the fairways (couch) establish further as the weather warms and growing can occur and the rough will only thicken. A real success story IMO is the quality of the greens. Whilst still settling (and at the mercy of guests and members who will not fix pitch marks) the quality of the surface is fantastic. Given that wind (of varying strengths and directions) can play havoc with scoring I would say the course is pretty tough. CCR's of recent Sat and Sundays have ranged from 73-77 (esp since preferred lies have been removed). However if you play well, good scoring can be achieved. As JP said there are still a few issues brought about by corner cutting in the construction but the club is committed to rectifying these matters. Patience, and a few years more years for maturation and this course will be on peoples list to play

#35 Gripnrip

Gripnrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:57 PM

Thanks Chris. Yeah it can get blowy out that way for sure, but these things can prove a blessing in disguise. Like when you have that lesson to sort out your 'fade' so you can actually play in the wind. Anyway all new tracks are more exposed to the elements and you're right the West was crying out for another members' course.

#36 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:35 AM

The recycled water is running at full speed now. With the slightly higher spring temperatures and regular watering the fairways are starting to come back to life. The couch should gradually spread and fill in the problem areas on the fairways. Hopefully we can get a reasonably good cover before it goes dormant next winter.

#37 Dave_11372662112

Dave_11372662112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:28 AM

I really enjoyed this course when I was in melbourne. Good role and good greeens..it needs work but the layout was good and challenging rewards straight hitting!!

#38 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:13 AM

A few people are pretty grumpy at the moment, but you would have to say that the club is a lot better off at the new venue than the old site. I guess it will be interesting to see what the member count is at the end of the month after the grace period runs out. You can check out their message board using the link below.

http://mtderrimutgolfclub.c...

The message board is hilarious, 17 topics of which only 6 can be viewed. Every member I know seems to be grumpy - about something different. Escalating fees, the driving range, difficulty getting a time on Saturday, then having half those booked not show up, the operation of the restaurant, the large amount of rocks all over the course, the Captain suspending members at his discretion, too much sand in the bunkers. It is never ending. I'm guessing the member count is down with the advertising and deals they are offering. Happy days.

#39 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

A few people are pretty grumpy at the moment, but you would have to say that the club is a lot better off at the new venue than the old site. I guess it will be interesting to see what the member count is at the end of the month after the grace period runs out. You can check out their message board using the link below.

http://mtderrimutgolfclub.c…

The message board is hilarious, 17 topics of which only 6 can be viewed. Every member I know seems to be grumpy – about something different. Escalating fees, the driving range, difficulty getting a time on Saturday, then having half those booked not show up, the operation of the restaurant, the large amount of rocks all over the course, the Captain suspending members at his discretion, too much sand in the bunkers. It is never ending. I’m guessing the member count is down with the advertising and deals they are offering. Happy days.

The club's secretary manager (... sorry general manager) is hyper sensitive to any critical comment. Looks like he has implemented a censorship initative and culled the board of a lot of the older topics many of which were pretty critical. BTW the member count is going okay. Its still a good club with good facilities and given the relative lack of competition in the west it should allways be able to attract new members. As long as the club is well managed it should have a good future. A lot of the unhappiness at the club is product of the fact that club management has allways been sh$thouse at communicating and as a result member expectations have not been appropriately set and managed. There has been some other excitement lately as the board has just suspended the captain for 3 months. Don't know what went on but apparently its not over yet because the captain informed the board that he would exercise his right to take the matter to a special meeting of members.

#40 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:41 AM

He snotted another member in front of half the club. Great way to reinforce the clubs' bogan origins and image. I look forward to hearing his defence given he had an annoying habit of suspending members over non existent issues without recourse. They should have thrown him out. Or maybe revoke his playing rights until he has picked up all the rocks.

#41 Ayds

Ayds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

He snotted another member in front of half the club. Great way to reinforce the clubs’ bogan origins and image. I look forward to hearing his defence given he had an annoying habit of suspending members over non existent issues without recourse. They should have thrown him out. Or maybe revoke his playing rights until he has picked up all the rocks.

Did he get charged?

#42 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:17 AM

Did he get charged?
Not that I'm aware of. He had his EGM to appeal against his suspension the other night and barely collected more than a handful of votes in support apparently. He won't be missed.

#43 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:55 PM

Did he get charged?

Not that I’m aware of. He had his EGM to appeal against his suspension the other night and barely collected more than a handful of votes in support apparently. He won’t be missed.

Its a pretty sad situation. He got 19 out of 71 votes. 5 more and he could have overturned the original board decision, athough he would have needed 36 votes to be able to totally carry the day as the members present could still fix an alternative penalty. It was a moment of madness, but anyway he did the crime and now hes doing his time. He will be back in a couple of moths. I wouldn't say that he won't be missed. He could be a bit hard to get on with but he was a pretty sincere bloke who has worked bloody hard for the cIub for a long time. I think its unlikely that the people who take his place will put the same energy and time into the club. BTW I was not one of the 19.

#44 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:37 AM

Its a pretty sad situation. He got 19 out of 71 votes. 5 more and he could have overturned the original board decision, athough he would have needed 36 votes to be able to totally carry the day as the members present could still fix an alternative penalty. It was a moment of madness, but anyway he did the crime and now hes doing his time. He will be back in a couple of moths. I wouldn’t say that he won’t be missed. He could be a bit hard to get on with but he was a pretty sincere bloke who has worked bloody hard for the cIub for a long time.
A vote of 33% of members could overturn a board decision? A popular captain should have been able to round them up in no time to get by such a pathetically low benchmark. It is poetic given some of his previous efforts. He is lucky the other bloke was a lot more cool headed. You are correct though, it is sad and it is the last thing the club needed.
I think its unlikely that the people who take his place will put the same energy and time into the club.
Well hopefully not the same energy :haha:

#45 KinZai

KinZai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:33 AM

I am just wondering is this a good club to join? I will b moving in to point cook soon. I am thinking whether to join sanctuary lakes or this, probably this since sanctuary lakes is really expensive. Anyone is member of this club and can bring me a round of golf or something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users