324 replies to this topic

#1 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:47 AM

Sunshine Golf Club sold off their land to Australand the property developer a while ago and are building a new course at Mt. Derrimut (not sure exactly where).

The course will be a Craig Parry/Pacific Coast Design and apparently some earthworks have been underway for a little while now on the new site.

Does anyone know exactly where this course is being built ? A Melways map reference would be ideal.

#2 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:05 AM

Found this.

#3 growler

growler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:04 AM

While I was out west today on a business appointment, I picked up a paper called Star. The paper has a golf column "Golf by George" which says that a ballot will be conducted between 1-18 September for all grades of members to decide on a new name for the course.

Possible names mentioned are: Mt. Derrimut Golf Club, Sunshine Golf Club, Western Golf Club or Western Gardens Golf Club.

The new course construction works can bee seen on the western side of the ring road just south of the current course.

No major earthworks - mainly creation of lakes for recycled water and mounding - (understand about 100,000 cubic metres of cut & fill according to tip-truck drivers ). On-site rocks and boulders seem to be covered with incoming fill.

Hardly a tree in site and right amongst a developing industrial estate, warehouses and nearby heavy chemical industries and some residential housing. Best feature at present is views of the city.

Over to the site writers to assist Sunshine with a catching, memorable and imaginative name - surely they can do better than the names listed.

As for Western Gardens, has anyone seen a garden in these flat, rocky basaltic and arid plains?

The article also states that the joining fee will remain $300 for the time being, but for those that join now as a foundation member before October, participation will be available in further foundation discounts. No indication of annual fees.

Golfers in the west will now have an additional choice to affordable courses like Kooringal, Medway, Werribee and the very expensive Sanctuary Lakes.

#4 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:21 AM

Had a look at this new course being constructed a few weeks ago and boy, are they moving some earth around. The western side of the course where the front nine is located is being 'sculptured' with fill.

Melbourne has Southern Golf Club, Eastern Golf Club and Northern Golf Club. Western Golf Club would cover all points of the compass. Better if they ditched the name Sunshine Golf Club I reckon.

#5 Rightfoot_sloth

Rightfoot_sloth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:15 PM

There are some pictures on http://www.craigparry.com/sunshine_golf_club.htm of the new development. They expect the course to be open in just under a year.

#6 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE: dgstones @ Aug 16 2005, 10:21 PM

Melbourne has Southern Golf Club, Eastern Golf Club and Northern Golf Club. Western Golf Club would cover all points of the compass. Better if they ditched the name Sunshine Golf Club I reckon.

Isn't it ironic that all are terrible golf courses.

#7 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE: henry @ Aug 17 2005, 11:01 AM

Isn't it ironic that all are terrible golf courses.

Eastern is alright. Northern is a nice setting, Southern has some good holes, Sunshine will make them all look like Royal Melbourne.

#8 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE: Jeffrey @ Aug 17 2005, 11:15 AM

Eastern is alright.  Northern is a nice setting, Southern has some good holes,  Sunshine will make them all look like Royal Melbourne.

You really are in a generous mood today Jeffrey aren't you? I'm with Henry on this one - they are all crapholes.

#9 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:20 PM

As for possible names...
It is treeless and old industrial land -How about "Toxic Links"? Or "The Links at Toxic Flats". Both names will fit in well with Pacific Coast Design's design philosophy as well.

#10 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE: Jack @ Aug 17 2005, 11:18 AM

You really are in a generous mood today Jeffrey aren't you? I'm with Henry on this one - they are all crapholes.

Everything is relative, Jack. Wait until the Pacific Coast Design Computer spits out a course design with 100,000 cubic metres of mounds, then compare that to Eastern.

#11 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE: Jeffrey @ Aug 17 2005, 11:20 AM

As for possible names...
It is treeless and old industrial land -How about "Toxic Links"?  Or "The Links at Toxic Flats".  Both names will fit in well with Pacific Coast Design's design philosophy as well.

You can do better than that Jeffrey. How about:

Barren Flats Golf and Money Laundering Club

#12 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 04:35 AM

QUOTE: Jeffrey @ Aug 17 2005, 11:15 AM

Eastern is alright.

Wow! Add my name to henry's and Jack's team.

Eastern is the type of course everybody should play twice instead of just once. Just like how customers often return a bad case of wine after opening two bottles. They had to open a second bottle because they simply couldn't believe how shocking the first one was.

ps Jim, I've played it twice.

#13 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:33 AM

Any news around regarding Sunshine ?

#14 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE: Jeffrey @ Aug 17 2005, 11:23 AM

Everything is relative, Jack.  Wait until the Pacific Coast Design Computer spits out a course design with 100,000 cubic metres of mounds, then compare that to Eastern.

Should have listened to you Jeffrey. Got one of these over the back fence.

#15 growler

growler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:46 AM

Driving along the Ring Road one can see significant progress with the works. Understand that recycled water is still to be delivered.

When I was with a business client last week, I was told that the Captain and President have had a parting of the ways and that the Captain has since resigned - as Captain and from the Club. This has also been mentioned in an article in the local papers out west.

Still suggesting that opening date is planned for June 2006.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users