14 replies to this topic

#1 golfer69

golfer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5258 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 07:23 AM

Another tournament, another controversy.

Can't remember being left this flat after a tournament.
Not sure who's call it came down to in the end, probably Trev Herden's replacement.

I know they were all under the pump after the rain delay but how does this sound for an ending...
...OK fella's we can head off down the second playoff hole in the semi-darkness..No, Ok meet you both back here in the morning at 8:00.
Oh, you cannot make it...then you forfeit !

Dual winners...a joke.

#2 dean

dean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 07:54 AM

Both players stated they had commitments monday morning.
It was too dark to continue,it's always gonna appear brighter on tv
than in reality.Trust me it was dark.Lonard stated he couldn't see his
ball on the first playoff hole.
Due to the rain we should think ourselves lucky it went as long as it
did.
Was worth the price of addmission to see Lonards putt to force a playoff.
Dean

#3 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 05:51 PM

Trevor Herden's replacement is Andrew Langford-Jones.

It wasn't the ideal conclusion to the tournament, a let down even, but I believe that they made the right call. To continue in the dark would have been unfair (remember that there are 00000's of dollars on the line).

The realities of modern professional golf dictate that returning this morning would be impossible: anyone who continues that argue that line is dreaming. It would be good if they could, but in the end there was no choice.

Twice in three weeks: are tied tournaments something we should get used to?

#4 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 07:03 PM

A ridiculous situation indeed.

Not really sure what the other options were, maybe a quick trip to the practice green for a putt-off smile.gif but other than that what could they do.

#5 george023

george023

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 09:06 PM

If the tee to the next playoff hole to be used was just next to the green, they could quickly walk a few metres and play it instead of trudging all the way up the 18th which consumes at least 5 full minutes. In my opinion it leaves a hollow feeling and an asterisk in the history books to have dual winners. What's stopping them coming out at first light, say 5am to play the hole and then continue on with prior commitments? Surely it couldn't take more than 30-40mins for someone to make a mistake or play a great shot to find a winner.

#6 gooner10

gooner10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 12:58 AM

They should of had a putt off on the putting green...

Or a long drive contest...

#7 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 03:30 AM

1) rock paper sissors...best of 5...
2) coin toss
3) club toss

Mw... :twisted:

#8 duke750

duke750

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 04:13 AM

I actually thought at the time that it was just light enough to play the hole again. I know it was late and there is no dusk in Qld, but the time they spent discussing it they could have been driving back to the tee.

Apart from that, the result chosen is the correct one. An arbitary coin toss etc is not appropriate for a prestige event.

But still...

I was standing on the 18th fairway, right behind the line of Lonard's putt (on the 72nd hole). What great drama. The buzz and excitement when the putt dropped was amazing.

I thought that the quality and range of food on the course was pretty ordinary. You weren't allowed to bring food or drink onto the course. I know that there better food outlets etc in the Village Square, but that meant leaving the course to go into the Hyatt hotel. I hope that they improve that next year, but I won't hold my breath.

#9 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 11:33 PM

An easy way to fix this problem is for QLD to come out of the Joh Bjoke Peterson dark ages and get day light savings like the rest of the country.
When Lonard and Moseley decided to call it quits, I went out side and lit the BBQ in sunny Victoria. Dayligt savings would have seen both players with ample time to play 3 or even up to 4 playoff holes!
And please don't start with that 'It fades the curtains' crap!

#10 muza

muza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 01:13 AM

I think that the players are to blame in part. If i had the chance to win the Aust PGA, i would settle for a draw. I think that it was a shame that there was not enough light, for the fans to witness a playoff, but how about playing on Moday like the great man (greg norman) said it gets light at 4:30 in the morning.

I think that if you go into a tournament then you should plan that a Monday playoff is in the realm of possiblity. And if you cant turn up then you are the runner up, i think moods would change then. I feel that the official was a bit hard done by the media, but he should have said a playoff first thing in the morning. And thats it. You plan yourself around the tournement. The way the tournement finished was such an anti-climax., especially after Lonards super putt to force the playoff.

#11 muza

muza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 01:15 AM

just to clarify i <u>WOULD NOT </u>settle for a draw. Sorry about that. :oops:

#12 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 01:48 AM

Youre dead right about the anti climax, when I went outside my wife asked me who won, I said no one, they called it a draw because of the darkness. She sort of gave a grunt as if to say 'Stupid bloody sport anyway' but at least she was interested enough to ask who won, until of course she heard the result.
Anti climax was and is an understatement!

#13 muza

muza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 08:07 AM

What a shame Peter Lonard didnt have tha balls to say "well have a play off tomorrow". If he had of back himself to win, and if he did, it would have taken him to top 50 and automatic qualitification into the US Masters. I just hope that appointment that he couldnt get away from was worth missing the US masters for. Also PL cannot be angry with the decision he had the oppurtunity to decide what he wanted to do.
I do hope that he dopes qualify for the US Masters thou. I am a fan of the Oatlands Pro

(Info curtesy of SPORTS TONIGHT CHANNEL 10)

This just proves the point of the draw...There are no winners. Fans or Golfers.

#14 duke750

duke750

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 07:37 PM

Judgesmails: the problem in this case wasn't daylight savings. All sporting events in SE Qld are played to Sydney times anyway (test cricket starts at 10am instead of 11am) to correspond with Sydney television!

They started at sparrowfart as it was to complete the previous round, and then lost an hour because of lightning.

You may not be aware that there is almost no dusk up here. It gets dark very quickly.

Having said that, I thought that there was enough time to play the last hole again. Either that, or come back on Monday.

#15 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 10:52 AM

Hi Guys,
We have just posted an interview that Bruce recorded on Tuesday in which Peter discusses the situation surrounding the controversial finish at the Australian PGA. May clear up a few things for you...

Here's the link:
http://www.iseekgolf.com/interviews/interv...ail.php?i_id=86

J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users