16 replies to this topic

#1 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 09:43 PM

Was that Fatty Vautin I saw lugging Gow's bag last week. I've been a fan of Gowies for a while. He writes a good column in Aus golf digest. But how can he be expected to play well if he's got the fatman in tow. He'd have to do his own yardages and club selection and I don't reckon the Fat, funny and all as he is, could read a putt for s@#t!

#2 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 09:47 PM

Hi Ernie,
You can read Paul's thoughts on the Fatman and Q-School at www.paulgow.com as we uploaded a new interview with him yesterday. The link is halfway down the front page.

Jason
iseekgolf.com

#3 Marcus

Marcus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 10:41 PM

Ernie

I think that your being a little tough on The Fat. After all I think that I read somewhere that he plays off about 4 so he must be able to read a few putts and know some distances. Thats not to say that I think you need to be a low handicap golfer and be a good caddie.

#4 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 01:51 AM

Vautin plays off 4!! Holy Smoke. My apologies. I wouldn't have though that he could knock a pea off a chop...

#5 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1115 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 02:56 AM

I think he is member at Monash in Sydney and plays of something like 9 or 10. I think if Paul Gow is fair dinkum he should stop toying with footy mates doing the caddying like Vautin and John Gibbs and hire a professional.

#6 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 04:05 AM

maybe he only does so for when he's back here in Aus?!?!?

It's can't be as bad as having the great AB caddying at the US Masters not that long ago isit???

anywayz, I'm sure Gow's having a great time nonethless...

Mw.

#7 cam1998

cam1998

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 07:41 AM

The Fatman is a member at Monash and plays off four. From what I have read alot of the caddies on tour are only there to carry the bag and only give advice if they are asked. It all depends on the player and what level of involvement they want the caddie to have. Paul Gow had John Gibbs on his bag when he shot 60 at Castle Hill at the Canon a few years ago , to me I think it is a very personel thing I remember watching Rich Beem take out his first USPGA tour victory and all the way down the stretch his caddie was talking to him and trying to keep him calm and concentrating on his shots but you watch some of the very experienced players the caddie gives them a club and does nothing else.

#8 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 05:33 PM

I listned to an interview with Paul Gow about him and Fatty and he reckons that the Fat Man knows his game as well if not better than his TOur Caddy. He says he has played umpteen rounds with Fatty and thatt Vautin is a very good caddy and a good bloke to have on his bag. Enough said I reckon, after all so long as PG is happy, who else matters?

#9 golfer69

golfer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5258 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 07:55 PM

Yeah but if the fatman is on the bag one more time when PG misses the cut I reckon he will be Gooooorne !

#10 gooner10

gooner10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 08:32 PM

'Gorrrrnnnnnnee'...hahhaa Paul Mellor, wat a legend!

Nah the Fatman is a decent caddy, surprised he lasted the length of the tourmanent!

#11 damo

damo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1139 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 07:04 AM

Personally I wouldn't have Vautin carry my rubbish to the bin - he is a jerk and doesn't do much for Paul Gow's golf credibility
Damo

#12 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 07:29 PM

Damo, do you personally know Fatty and/or Paul Gow?? If not, I would guess that listning to Paul Gow say that Vautin was a good caddy and he is happy to have him on the bag would have me leaning toward the fact that he is comfortable with it. It's a bit rough calling him a jerk, after all, he speaks very highly of you! tongue.gif :wink:

#13 damo

damo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1139 posts

Posted 01 December 2002 - 06:39 AM

Dear Judge,
Regardless of what Gow says about his caddy - I stand by my comments - as do lots of other Queenslanders !
Damo

#14 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 06:03 PM

We don't see a lot of Fatty down here, what I have seen of him I think he's OK, but if Sam Newman was on Gow's bag I would probably be calling him a jerk as well. Fattys kinda like Sams northern cousin isn't he??

#15 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 07:05 PM

While we're on caddy talk, who had their brother on the bag and he played off something like 11?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users