#31 Upanddown23

Upanddown23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2895 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE: NiceBats @ Jul 26 2006, 04:11 PM

On the contrary Elizabeth - i think it could hold an Aus Open. let's face it - if Grange in QLD can host it, anyone can. The best thing about an Oz open @ WGC would be that the holes are close enough together to ensure patrons can access many different holes very quickly (a bit like Huntingdale).

I'd have to agree with Lizzy.

With the exception of 18 with all that empty space on the left. I can't easily think of anywhere that you could put another grandstand where the play would be a REAL spectacle.

#32 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:15 AM

Grange in QLD??

#33 MatthewM

MatthewM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:23 AM

He means The Grand moe.

#34 NiceBats

NiceBats

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE: MatthewM @ Jul 26 2006, 11:23 PM

He means The Grand moe.

Yep - sorry - Grand it is.

I see your point re: Grandstands. However, the new Golf Australia has made it pretty clear they want hospitality for the corporates and the rest of the viewing should be more 'inclusive' (i.e. they want spectators walking on the fairways and one major public grandstand - or so I heard from someone inside GA).

Anyhow, like a lot of things, I'm sure they'll be plently of politics involved and in all reality, the Aus Open will be held where GA wants it held and that may or may not be at the best available golf course .

#35 pumpychowdown

pumpychowdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE: Moe @ Jul 12 2006, 10:40 PM

forgot about this thread.

got the masterplan here, looks like it was current 2 years ago, not months. But I'm told this is the one still being considered.

Of interesting note is the second pdf with the overhead layout and also the proposed strategic changes to individual holes on the first pdf.

It's hard for me to judge, since I've never set foot on that course, but those proposed changes look like a butchers job. Introducing "wetlands" and "burns" and heather onto a classic sandbelt course smacks of short sightedness and a lack of appreciation of history and of classic architecture in the region.

#36 ThanksForAllTheFish

ThanksForAllTheFish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:02 AM

Introducing "wetlands" and "burns" and heather onto a classic sandbelt course smacks of short sightedness and a lack of appreciation of history and of classic architecture in the region.

It is worth bearing in mind that when Woodlands was built it was on the edge of what was at the time called the Carrum Swamp (which extended all the way down to Frankston). The racetrack which used to be over the road was notoriously wet in the early days. It was all gradually drained from the early part of last century and the Edithvale Wetlands is about all that's left now.

The land at Woodlands is quite different to RM, KH etc. I don't remember any parts of the course which cry out to be turned into wetland, but it may not be quite as out of place as it sounds.

Having said that, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

#37 AndyA

AndyA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1609 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:33 AM

QUOTE: rsheehy @ Jul 27 2006, 09:02 AM

Having said that, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

All the proposed changes would do it break it. No wonder those behind it have been ostricised by the rest of the membership.

#38 Diddy

Diddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:26 AM

I played at Woodlands the other day, and the member I spoke to seemed to think that the proposed changes were

not

going through... Can anyone confirm/deny?

#39 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE: Diddy @ Jul 28 2006, 02:26 PM

I played at Woodlands the other day, and the member I spoke to seemed to think that the proposed changes were

not

going through... Can anyone confirm/deny?

Must be passed by the members first. biggrin.gif

#40 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:28 AM

QUOTE: golfguy33 @ Jul 28 2006, 03:45 PM

Must be passed by the members first. biggrin.gif

are you gonna vote for it?

#41 pumpychowdown

pumpychowdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:01 AM

Spoke to some Woodlands members today and they were unaware of the course changes; merely aware of an ominous sounding "MASTERPLAN".

#42 bluprint

bluprint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:35 AM

I find that difficult to believe, the plans are plastered over the walls between the change rooms and the bar.

I don't think the plans will go ahead anyway.

#43 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:59 AM

QUOTE: PumpyChowdown @ Jul 30 2006, 06:01 PM

Spoke to some Woodlands members today and they were unaware of the course changes; merely aware of an ominous sounding "MASTERPLAN".

bluprint is right. After taking a pee or changing a shirt and heading back inside or ducking out via beside the pro shop, it is an enormous wallpaper the size of a mural in front of you after you turn left out of the lockeroom door. And it has been there in some form for well over a year and a half now. Only a member who religiously walks off #18 and into the car and never goes inside could possibly be unaware of it.

#44 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:05 AM

if i got a copy, I'm pretty sure a member wouldn't have trouble coming across a copy either.

#45 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:05 AM

Has anyone been able to work out how or why Woodlands is broken and needs this sort of "fixing"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users