#91 freddy_k

freddy_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:20 AM

Elizabeth,

Surely then Eagle Ridge is doing a great job for golf down that way - it is keeping the riff raff off the better courses where real golfers can enjoy the simple pleasures of the game

Freddy.

#92 zoumboukas

zoumboukas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:21 AM

Played there today got round 18 as a two in 3 hours in a cart.

It had some of the narrowest fairways I have played, but didn't play particularly tough as long as you are on the fairway.

Certainly a course that could be ridiculously hard off a 20+ handicap.

Greens as a majority were quite slow, with a couple of quicker ones on the back nine for good measure blink.gif

As stated fairways were tight with a few blind shots.

I didn't have to lay up on any holes but the blind tee shot off 18 that disappears over a hill then rolls into the rough is one instance where I should have.

Although a paradox in itself as the hole is 520m off the back markers.

Fairways were in good condition,Greens were true but slow but the best part of the course was the 19th hole all 68m of it hitting to an island green,certainly could be an interesting play off hole in a Board event etc tongue.gif

I could imagine playing there again a harmless,enjoyable course that offer's a good challenge.

#93 Jarrod

Jarrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:29 PM

so you liked it z-man?

#94 mrdenn1s

mrdenn1s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:37 PM

Ok...let's fire this thread up again.

I played the Ridge yesterday (free game offer with carts for four...courtesy of a mate who got the voucher from the Lobster Cave)

Lot's of points made by Tithers are accurate, but maybe are communiacted too harshly. I agree with:

1) Fairways are tight
2) 2nd hole water trap is just stupid.
3) Would be tough for a higher handicapper...HOWEVER...golf is meant to be played by the ball travelling in the air for the most part. I played with a 27 handicapper yesterday, and he managed to get around ok.

Other things i dont like...the 18th drive over the hill. I belted it maybe 240m (good for me) right down the guts...guess what...the downslope of the fairway is actually rough! I don't get that

Things I loved:

1) The 19th hole...it actually decided our 4BBB match play
2) All the par 5's are reachable in 2 if you want to have a go...serious risk/reward...if you spray your approach, you may as well reload
3) Greens are fair and consistant in pace.
4) The scenary...beautiful
5) The bunkering...it is unique and offered a different challenge to what i am used to. I know many don't like the "over use" of the bunkers, but i thought many of the fairway pots were in the right spot. I found 4 of them off the back tees (210 -240m out)...added toughness to a fairly shorter course IMO

Any one else played it lately?

#95 N & G Ablett

N & G Ablett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:11 AM

3) Would be tough for a higher handicapper...HOWEVER...

golf is meant to be played by the ball travelling in the air for the most part.

I played with a 27 handicapper yesterday, and he managed to get around ok.

Some would argue that the game is actually meant to be played mostly on the gound.

2) All the par 5's are reachable in 2 if you want to have a go...

serious risk/reward

...if you spray your approach,

you may as well reload

This sounds like penal architecture not risk/reward. I tend to find the best risk/reward holes are ones that leave poor shots with increasingly difficult recoveries... not an automatic reload.

I may be biased but E.R. would be near the top of the list for worst courses I have played.

(Not sure I would be admitting to having a Lobster Cave voucher either... that place is a dump).

#96 cunninga

cunninga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1078 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE: N & G Ablett @ Feb 20 2007, 03:11 PM

3) Would be tough for a higher handicapper...HOWEVER...

golf is meant to be played by the ball travelling in the air for the most part.

I played with a 27 handicapper yesterday, and he managed to get around ok.

Some would argue that the game is actually meant to be played mostly on the gound.

2) All the par 5's are reachable in 2 if you want to have a go...

serious risk/reward

...if you spray your approach,

you may as well reload

This sounds like penal architecture not risk/reward. I tend to find the best risk/reward holes are ones that leave poor shots with increasingly difficult recoveries... not an automatic reload.

I may be biased but

E.R.

would be near the top of the list for worst courses I have played.

(Not sure I would be admitting to having a

Lobster Cave

voucher either... that place is a dump).

And both are overpriced! tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

#97 Andre_W

Andre_W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:25 AM

If a good drive for you is 240m and all the par 5's are reachable how short are they?

<430m?

That means a good drive and PW/9i/8i, or average drive and 7i/6i for many longer hitters.

That doesn't sound like real par 5's to me. 1 or two short 5's are ok, but all of them?

#98 mrdenn1s

mrdenn1s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE: Andre W @ Feb 20 2007, 03:25 PM

If a good drive for you is 240m and all the par 5's are reachable how short are they?

<430m?

That means a good drive and PW/9i/8i, or average drive and 7i/6i for many longer hitters.

That doesn't sound like real par 5's to me. 1 or two short 5's are ok, but all of them?

None of the tees were right back. Most par 5's were 450 -470m ish from where we hit off to the middle of the green (love GPS...but thats a discussion for another thread). That only leave 210m left to the green (3 wood)...maybe 195m to the front.

#99 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE: mrdenn1s @ Feb 20 2007, 01:37 PM

3) Would be tough for a higher handicapper...HOWEVER...golf is meant to be played by the ball travelling in the air for the most part.

Mr Ablett got it right.

Grab a badminton shuttlecock and a golf ball. One is designed to spend its playing time in the air. The other is a round ball. Its shape means that its primary function is to roll once it lands, or to be played in a way so that it rolls.

Also, if a carry is for example 150m in the air, then a 145m shot that spends most of its time high in the air will still end up short of the carry. Time spent in the air is not the problem with courses with too many carries. It is how far it must carry and how often.

IF

a player can play a ball 70% in the air and 30% roll (either because they miss hit it or aren't good enough to hit it beter in the air), then that doesn't stop the proficient player from playing the same shot entirely in the air. But when you add a lot of carries, the proficient player isn't penalised but the poor player is.

A public access/corporate venue course like Eagle Ridge would see a large chunk of golfers not as good as a genuine 27 handicapper like your friend. I believe public courses or corporate venues should be able to be played by beginners and twice a year players, otherwise they may never feel the urge to want to become any more than that.

My biggest problem with Eagle Ridge is that it was a pleasant course that offered a different approach to feel than the other peninsula more natural looking tracks. They did the "resort" feel quite well in fact, and the place was very enjoyable. Then they wound up the volume completely on the final round of changes and have made a completely monstrous looking place which feels

SO

out of sync with its surroundings and feels more like a colurful plastic theme park than an enjoyable golf course. Like an ageing actress who gets a face lift that collapses on her and she looks like a horror film character who's photo should be kept on the mantlepiece to keep the kids away from the fire. Go and see the original course at the Heritage Golf Club at Wonga Park. A resort type pristinely manicured course as well, with no attempt to look wild, plenty of water hazards and eye candy and the like. But it sits in its surroundings agreeably, doesn't horrify the eye 'nor plonk stupid grass trees in its bunkers, and is very enjoyable to play.

Quite a few people play at Eagle Ridge on a discount and like yourself, don't hate it. But not many of them seem to decide to return over and over again and play it at full price. Surely that says something loud and clear!

#100 elizabeth

elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE: mrdenn1s @ Feb 20 2007, 01:37 PM

Things I loved:

5) The bunkering...it is unique and offered a different challenge to what i am used to. I know many don't like the "over use" of the bunkers, but i thought many of the fairway pots were in the right spot. I found 4 of them off the back tees (210 -240m out)...added toughness to a fairly shorter course IMO

Did you like the palm tree right in the middle of the bunker? Southern should get them too.

#101 mrdenn1s

mrdenn1s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE: Elizabeth @ Feb 21 2007, 01:17 PM

Did you like the palm tree right in the middle of the bunker? Southern should get them too.

it is different for sure,...wouldnt want them in every bunker, but why cant a course do something unusual?

#102 drew74

drew74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:53 PM

I see what you mean guys. Looks like bigbutt Blitz have spent a weekend there!!

#103 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE: mrdenn1s @ Feb 21 2007, 01:37 PM

it is different for sure,...wouldnt want them in every bunker, but why cant a course do something unusual?

Mate, there's unusual and there's just plain stupid. At Eagle Ridge, the things that are "unusual" are the things that make people decide never to return there again.

You can have quirk, uniqueness, variation and all kinds of non conforming elements in your golf course design if you want. As long as they are fun or add something nice. Eagle Ridge has no such innovations. It is just a thoughtless mess.

I've heard a number of people like yourself go down there on a good cheap deal and they don't mind it. Not one I know of has since returned and paid normal price. A course is not attractive 'nor does it have encouraging "unusual" features if it can only get people to play it when the price is slashed to get curious patrons. If you get a group of four including yourself to go down there and pay full price with no promos whatsoever, that's a different story. But that simply

isn't

happening at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users