Mo mun tai smile.gif

#32 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:19 PM

A few years ago I was invited to review golf balls for a large and well known Golf Magazine.

one of the balls I reviewed was the Wilson Jack to which I wrote.
'If you are looking for a pure distance ball with no other redeeming features then the Wilson Jack is for you, if this ball was a car it would be a Camira'

The review was changed to 'If you are looking for a pure distance ball, then the Wilson Jack is for you' and I have yet to be asked to do another review.

Lets hope Tithers isn't censored the same way just because he wrote what he thought.
I too am looking forward to playing Eagle Ridge to see what I think and adding my thoughts.

Don't be so precious, positive feedback on negative things is one of the the only ways people can improve. If, using Willow as an example, Willow was doing Junior Clinics and all the parents were telling him he was great but not booking in their kids for another term of lessons as there was something they didn't like about his teaching style yet were to polite to tell him, don't you think Willow would want to hear the positive criticism so he could fix up his mistakes even if he didn't realise he was making them? (Not saying Willow is a bad teacher, I have only heard positive response to his clinics and as soon as my Son catches up on his homework he will be heading down there for lessons...)

#33 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:16 PM

Peanuts, Willow,

If you think that Tithers review was harsh, wait until I write one. In the meantime, check out the photo I posted in the Shame File thread.

#34 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:30 PM

This thread makes me laugh. To accuse tithers of being overly negative is ridiculous. Read his posts over the last couple of years and you'll find that his comments are generally very positive, almost too positive for my liking on a few occasions.

What is it about the golf industry that discourages people from criticising golf courses? If I'm going to spend $20 in fuel and another $25 in green fees (or $85 at Moonah, or $60 at the Dunes etc), isn't it fair that any review I read is reflective of the facts, and allows me to make an informed decision?

Its like the businesses who sack their staff, then provide positive references when prospective employers call them. Kind of defeats the purpose of a reference doesn't it? Exactly the same with a golf course review, whats the good of glossing over the bad stuff?

#35 _Andrew_

_Andrew_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:37 AM

I greatly appreciate Tithers reviews. I must say I'm in the same boat as Matty, JJJ & Jack. Now that I've read the review I want to play the course, whereas before I would never have considered it.

Sort of a morbid sense of the macabre

#36 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE: Andrew @ Jun 22 2005, 02:37 PM

I greatly appreciate Tithers reviews. I must say I'm in the same boat as Matty, JJJ & Jack. Now that I've read the review I want to play the course, whereas before I would never have considered it.

Sort of a morbid sense of the macabre

Sounds like we have a four locked in - when are we playing (in carts? for a $1?)

#37 brummer

brummer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:51 AM

QUOTE: Jack @ Jun 22 2005, 06:25 PM

Sounds like we have a four locked in - when are we playing (in carts? for a $1?)

Yep the car wreck thing has got me too. Looks horrendous on the pictures sort of like what you get if a design committee consisting of Walt Disney, Jamie Durie and the local council worker responsible for paving got together.

Next time I'm over there I'd consider playing it for $26 as my second 18 for the day after a decent course in the morning.

#38 peanuts

peanuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5349 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE: Jeffrey @ Jun 22 2005, 08:16 AM

Peanuts,  Willow,

If you think that Tithers review was harsh, wait until I write one.  In the meantime, check out the photo I posted in the Shame File thread.

Jeffrey, the course may deserve an architectural fail on the scale, and yes I've seen your picture which reminds me of how I used to be laughed at in Art class in High School. My first read of the review left me feeling tithers had missed the part where he gives an element of encouragement to the owners...albeit telling them at least their clubhouse looks nice.

And henry nobody suggested he gloss over the bad stuff. Criticise where it's due by all means.

#39 MatthewM

MatthewM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 05:57 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong Willow and Peanuts, but of you both and Tithers, he is the only one to have played the course following the most recent changes?

Fancy being critical of someone who has reviewed something you've not seen. And asking for honesty and even-handedness in chastising Tithers.

TT's review of Moonah Links Open shows that he can be overly positive and can gloss over the negatives. Never let it be said he doesn't look for the 'glass is half full' components of a golf course. If he's been harsh on a course, there's good reason. Furthermore, I'd venture to say he's drawing from a greater bank of courses played and seen, than either of you chaps.

Keep up the good work TT. Like so many others, I'm glad you're back posting and reviewing.

MatthewM

#40 VJ Stinks

VJ Stinks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:35 AM

Peanuts he doesnt have to be nice just for the sake of it.

Having played Eagle Ridge myself a couple of years ago, I really wondered why they wasted so much time and effort destroying the old Carlogie course, which albeit a little flat and boring on the back nine, had a good feel to it. Any desire to see what they had done to the course was killed in the first half dozen holes. They did not seem to flow at all well and a couple were downright awful.

By the end of the round I vowed to never go back and after reading that review, they seem to have made it worse, so I know I will neve bother.

#41 kinghg

kinghg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 09:01 AM

It's got the better of me. The boss has booked in a work day there Wednesday morning.

#42 peanuts

peanuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5349 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:13 AM

MatthewM, as I've said before, I enjoy tithers' posts as much as anyone, and I have no problem with, in fact enjoy, a bit of exaggerated criticism at times.

I was making a relatively minor point about that particular post missing something (as opposed to saying it had too much criticism).

I'm quite sure tithers understands that distinction, and I really didn't want to get into a protracted argument over it because it's not worth it.

#43 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:52 AM

peanuts,

When I give some "feel good" encouragement or mention a bright spot in a review, I mean it. It isn't there for the sake of it, to soften anything or to have a commercial formula to my reviews.

In this particular regard, my Eagle Ridge review missed nothing. Truth be told, if you read it again, I stopped instead of spewing another 400-500 words on many negative aspects and examples of holes I didn't even mention. Perhaps this mercy killing (what do they call that seven innings rule in baseball?) was my "concession".

But in keeping up high spirits, I've thought of another; the rain cover on the back of the carts was pretty cool smile.gif

#44 mac

mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:49 PM

Why all the fuss?

The place is horrific - just anti-golf.

#45 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:33 PM

Look forward to seeing some more reviews after the weekend. Is there any chance of some photos from those going down?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users