Photo

Well the Open next year is going to be interesting....

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 John J Jones

John J Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2765 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 09:00 AM

To quote from today's AGU press release,

It is official, Moonah Links, Open Course on the Mornington Peninsula has been chosen by the Australian Golf Union to host the 2003 Holden Australian Open Championship.

Moonah Links, Open Course has been designed specifically with the Open Championship in mind by an internationally renowned team that knows what successful contemporary international competition is all about.

In Peter Thomson’s words; “Moonah Links will challenge the Champions. This will make for a gripping Holden Australian Open, and a great spectacle for our visitors and worldwide TV audience. There will be a brand new $40 million 4.5 star hotel for our Holden Australian Open visitors.

Pretty brave move by the AGU given this years problems on the Thursday. If it blows (and it can blow down there) there could be carnage, in fact about 6822m of carnage.

JJ

#2 cazandpaul

cazandpaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 05:49 PM

Is this the course that featured on Golf Australia (on Fox) the other night in a comparison with the Norman course?

Regards

Paul

#3 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 06:46 PM

I believe that is the one Paul.

And I don't know about you, but I thought that show was a great insight into course design.

#4 Jim

Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 07:07 PM

Hind0
The Thomson Wolveridge course featured on the FoxSports show was the Ocean course at The National, arguably the worst course ever built in Australia. Moonah Links is a little bit better, although even longer and more heavily bunkered.

#5 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 07:54 PM

Goes to show how much attention I was paying. Must have seen something else on it last week too.

#6 gooner10

gooner10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 09:24 PM

Well I was watching that golf special and Thomson was criticising Normans course because their course had this and it wasnt right...blah blah...

#7 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 11:20 PM

The Thomson Wolveridge course featured on the FoxSports show was the Ocean course at The National, arguably the worst course ever built in Australia.

Jim, I'm yet to play the Ocean Course and was interested in why you think it's so bad? I played the Moonah Course at the National and enjoyed it but it was very, very, very hard. I shot 99 (off a 16 handicap) and thought I played pretty good. If someone played the Moonah Course at The National for thier first game, they would never pick up a club again!

#8 Jim

Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 11:40 PM

Judgesmails
When did you play National Moonah? It was very difficult when it opened due to high rough, but was progressively cut back to the point where you really need to spray it badly to lose your ball. It is still tough though, and near unplayable when the wind really gets up.

Given the site the Ocean course is on, and the resources they had, they have delivered a course with dreadful bunkering and greens which was probably rated somewhat generously by Australian Golf Digest as no 40 in the country. The land and position is so good that it is hard to imagine how they could build a course not in the top 10.

Rusty
The part in that show where Wolveridge was criticising Norman's bunkering, saying that it looked unnatural whereas there's is natural looking is hysterical. The Norman bunkers look very natural and blend in with the surrounds beautifully, whereas TWP have just gone in and mostly built their stock standard grass faced bunkers that they build everywhere, even in the tropics. The hardly look natural. If they just filled in all the TWP bunkers and started again the course would be improved enormously. I believe Lloyd Williams is progressively doing this at the Capital.

#9 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 11:46 PM

Jim, I played it when the rough was high and it was very easy to lose your ball, even if you found it you had to flush it to move it a few meters. On the short par 4 I went for the green and ended up on the hill to the right, about 15 meters off the surface pin high, took me 4 more to get it on the dance floor including one that slid under the ball with oput moving it. It was HARD! I have heard they have cut back the rough and to me thats a good thing. Also the bunkering is terrific, very natural looking and effective.

#10 gooner10

gooner10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 02:26 AM

Thanks for that Jimmy...

Thomson also talked about Normans plan of a double green too didnt he?

#11 cam1998

cam1998

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 06:51 AM

Guys I think that show was released on video and was called " OUT OF THE ROUGH, the making of a golf course ".

#12 Jim

Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 07:38 AM

Rusty
Either Thomson or Wolveridge did have a go at Norman for building a double green, and on this occasion they are right. I say this as someone who has stood on the 6th green and been peppered by balls coming up the 14th. They also built a tee a metre or so DIRECTLY behind the 5th green. I find it puzzling that the clubs lawyers told Norman he wasn't allowed to build a crossover hole, but allowed these equally dangerous features to be built.

#13 damo

damo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1139 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 10:29 AM

I believe this should settle it - TWP = a trio of extremely old and very boring designers - have they taken up lawn bowls or bingo yet ???? - -any old crap golfer can design a course - anyone who says it is an art etc etc is a halfwit
damoocow

#14 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 02:22 AM

Guys,

I have started a discussion on the 2003 Aust Open under the favourite courses section (I hadn't looked here first, so my apologies for the location error). It features a poll on wether you believe it will be a success or failure, and asks for peoples views on what factors may influence the success of nect years tournament.

I would love everyones input.

Regards,
Jerry S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users