31 replies to this topic

#1 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3771 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:11 AM

Today I had the priveledge of playing at the Barwon Heads Golf Club. After searching on the forums I see there has been a lot of debate as to which is better out of BH and 13th beach. I have only played the Creek course at 13th beach but I think Barwon Heads is a better track.

Anyhow I thought I would mention that there have been some new tees put in. the 9th, 10th and 15th hole all have new tees to increase length and I believe they are a good addition. Not length for the sake of length, rather an increase to a specific hole to bring specific features into play.

Also I must comment on the condition of the course, which was excellent. The greens were about as fast as I have played on, which made me realise how much I love fast greens, and the fairways were near perfect.

Maybe I am so in love with the course because I won my pennant match there today but I must say I really enjoyed it. I am not particularly into golf course design so I can't comment on bunkering styles etc. But I can say I thought there was a good mix of hole lengths and I would highly recommend to anyone in the area that they try to play there.

#2 OnaBreak

OnaBreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:52 AM

nice post Tool tongue.gif

where do you play. a mate filled in the Q.P team and got his ass kicked by an old fart on the home team.. choppa

#3 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3771 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE: OnaBreak @ Apr 24 2005, 09:52 PM

nice post Tool tongue.gif

where do you play. a mate filled in the Q.P team and got his ass kicked by an old fart on the home team.. choppa

Play at East Geelong. Have only just moved to the Geelong region and it is close to home. Not a bad little track. Nothing compared to BH or 13th though sad.gif

#4 OnaBreak

OnaBreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 09:18 PM

ohh come on.. thats twelve holes of pure delight blink.gif

seriously tho its a good track, mainly coz i never lost a match on it biggrin.gif but you can eat a three course meal on each of the first four holes it's that slow during pennant. love the third, for some reason i always hit the tee shot perfect on that one.

I hear your being treated with more than a couple really nice tracks to play for free this year.. hmm might have to make a come back

#5 boonie

boonie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:08 PM

They have also put a new tee back on the 8th at BH

#6 niceshot

niceshot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:38 PM

Sorry to bring back an old topic, But i was wondering what peoples experiences at Barwon Heads have been. More specifically refering to the staff there. I have heard it is a bit snobbish if you like (in regards to the pro shop). I have heard the atmosphere is not friendly from the staff there. Am i wrong or am i hearnig correctly. Wouldn't mind joining there one day.

#7 bradharro

bradharro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

I live in sydney and made an enquiry to BH about country membership. the chick who repled to my email would make an awesome poker player as getting info out of her was like pulling teeth out of a caged lion. i got the impression it was very elite and not very accomodating to non members.

#8 tiprat

tiprat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:21 AM

niceshot played there the other day. awesome condition. as for the pro shop well $105 for a box of pro v's tell's you what kind of tossers play at the club. i know of at least 3 golfers in the groups immediately behind & in front who were members at both bh & royal melb. so say no more. unless you are a lawyer or melb high school old boy then i guess you should join 13th beach.

#9 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:13 AM

This course is a gem. Agree the Members are a little on the snobbish side but let's face the facts, they must surely be a minority and if you don't like that style well stay clear of them. Guests are made welcome but be prepared , it is a vastly different set up than your normal resort course, this place is for serious golfers who enjoy good tidings and a sensational golf course.

#10 SJGC

SJGC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:16 AM

Tiprat you must be joking ! Melbourne High School Old Boys don't get let in to Barwon Heads, dear chap.

#11 Darth_Fader

Darth_Fader

Suspect

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:28 PM

She's a different world at BHGC. 20 year members get booted off course for wearing socks with a small logo. It's pure golf but 13th Beach a better option. Membership at 13th being bolstered at the moment by disgruntled BHGC members.

#12 SJGC

SJGC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:41 AM

And rightly so ! Socks with logos are a DISGRACE, I tell you !!

#13 Milhouse

Milhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:22 AM

It's their club so they should be able to have whatever rules they want. If you dont like it then dont play there (i dont like it so i dont play there)

#14 SJGC

SJGC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

Tell the truth Milhouse - you are barred entry.

#15 Milhouse

Milhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:28 AM

I'm not barred entry anywhere mate - I much prefer Thirteenth Beach so I play there when down that way.It is much better value for money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users