#61 3oneday

3oneday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE: Jerry Springer @ Apr 23 2005, 10:05 AM

I have submitted the poll but it doesn't appear?  Have I stuffed up, or do these get treated differently to normal New Topic posts?

Jerry

Jerry, it appears all new posts in "Classifieds" are to be viewed by a mod before they become "live". I noticed the message when I just listed something.

Pete

#62 joinmeup

joinmeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE: Jerry Springer @ Apr 23 2005, 09:54 AM

Ummm, and your point is? 

Yes a relatively small number of people are regulars, I for axample come in as the roughly 110th most frequent poster. This measure is only going to reduce the number of newbies who come in and post, making those number even worse.  I would like to encourage them, not discourage them.

Jerry

My point, well I think it was more to show numbers can be used either way to help or hinder. You were using numbers of people who would be allowed to post in the classifieds for your side of the arguement. If you look at those numbers then is it really worth putting up with the people who come here solely to try and flog gear off because we might, only might, lose one or two who would have posted more? I don't think so. How many newbies as you put it (which IMO actually creates the sort of rift between posters that you are so passionately against), would we miss out on because they need 20 posts before trying to fleece us all?

#63 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE: OMG @ Apr 23 2005, 04:38 PM

My point, well I think it was more to show numbers can be used either way to help or hinder.  You were using numbers of people who would be allowed to post in the classifieds for your side of the arguement.  If you look at those numbers then is it really worth putting up with the people who come here solely to try and flog gear off because we might, only might, lose one or two who would have posted more?  I don't think so.  How many newbies as you put it (which IMO actually creates  the sort of rift between posters that you are so passionately against), would we miss out on because they need 20 posts before trying to fleece us all?

All those figures show is that 1300 odd people have less than than 20 posts, and clearly represent the smaller amount of forum traffic. Are you seriously suggesting that 1. They are trying to fleece us all and 2. That we should just get rid of them, or ignore them?

Even Mau once sat on the lowly sum of one post (although probably not for more than a minute given his posting frequency! wink.gif) If you want these forums to survive then you have to convert as many of those 1300 and everyone else that joins into long term posters. This measure does not do that, and it is only here because 1 or 2 people have tried to dump gear on the forums. So I could equally argue, don't those 1 or 2 stuff it up for the other 1300!

We are using a machine gun to swat flies.

Jerry

#64 joinmeup

joinmeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:47 AM

QUOTE: Jerry Springer @ Apr 23 2005, 06:23 PM

All those figures show is that 1300 odd people have less than than 20 posts, and clearly represent the smaller amount of forum traffic. Are you seriously suggesting that 1. They are trying to fleece us all and 2. That we should just get rid of them, or ignore them?

Even Mau once sat on the lowly sum of one post (although probably not for more than a minute given his posting frequency!  wink.gif)  If you want these forums to survive then you have to convert as many of those 1300 and everyone else that joins into long term posters. This measure does not do that, and it is only here because 1 or 2 people have tried to dump gear on the forums.  So I could equally argue, don't those 1 or 2 stuff it up for the other 1300!

We are using a machine gun to swat flies.

Jerry

Did I say ignore them? Didi I say get rid of them?
Don't go to extremes to try and make what I said sound like it was over the top.
So if they sit on 1 or two posts and have a dying urge to sell some of their stuff then post on a few of the threads, it's not hard to get to 20. If they are going to sit on their duffs and expect others to provide them something to read but don't wish to contribute then I have no problem with not allowing them the full use of the services provided by those trying to make this forum work.
Maybe you should try getting off your high horse Jerry and have a shot of reality, if they aren't posting then why have them here? Go start a forum up solely for these people and what will you have--->blank screens.
What a price to pay eh, 20 posts, OMG! We're so elitist!

#65 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE: OMG @ Apr 23 2005, 06:47 PM

Did I say ignore them? Didi I say get rid of them?

Yeah OMG, you did, and it was.

QUOTE: OMG @ Apr 23 2005, 06:47 PM

If you look at those numbers then is it really worth putting up with the people who come here solely to try and flog gear off because we might, only might, lose one or two who would have posted more? I don't think so.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and my point is that a 20 post doesn't stop the problem of dumping, which is why it was introduced. Let's get a solution that actually fixes the problem and doesn't stuff everyone else in the process. That's all I want.

#66 mat.00d

mat.00d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE: OMG @ Apr 23 2005, 07:47 PM

If they are going to sit on their duffs and expect others to provide them something to read but don't wish to contribute then I have no problem with not allowing them the full use of the services provided by those trying to make this forum work. 

i thought i covered this before...

QUOTE: mat.00d

And before i get brushed off as a "newbie" i have been viewing these forums about

<u></u>

once a week

for about 18 months now, but as there are so many knowledgable golfers on here, by the time i get to read an interesting question/ or topic (i would rather be playing golf than talking about playing golf, no offense intended) more often than not, somebody has replied with roughly what i would have said and posting would have been redundant.

#67 joinmeup

joinmeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE: Jerry Springer @ Apr 23 2005, 07:15 PM

Yeah OMG, you did, and it was.

Where?

Wait, how about we make it you don't have to sign up either, surely this is discouraging people from joining in our forum. Then we all just be gueast with no post counts (surely these also can be blamed for elitist behaviour).
Your being a dill Jerry, go start your own forum and take these no posting guys with you. May sound harsh but you're just being silly over the whole thing...20 posts oh my god, how terrible!!

#68 joinmeup

joinmeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 06:46 AM

QUOTE: mat.00d @ Apr 23 2005, 08:31 PM

i thought i covered this before...

QUOTE(mat.00d)

Mate if you can't come up with anything to add you're not using your imagination, or much else up there. Sorry but if you aren't contributing, ie posting not reading, I don't think all the services should be necessarily made available to you.

Oh and by the way Jerry is the guy who has been referring to people as newbies and I find it interesting that in your post you seem that you would be offended to be called one...why is that?

#69 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE: OMG @ Apr 23 2005, 08:43 PM

Where?

Wait, how about we make it you don't have to sign up either, surely this is discouraging people from joining in our forum.   Then we all just be gueast with no post counts (surely these also can be blamed for elitist behaviour).
Your being a dill Jerry, go start your own forum and take these no posting guys with you.  May sound harsh but you're just being silly over the whole thing...20 posts oh my god, how terrible!!

OMG, the only person I can see acting like a dill and calling people names,... is you.

I repeat my point, only one or two people club dump, therefore the 20 post limit stuffs it up for everyone else.

Grow up and and answer that point for me.

BTW, newbie is a standard internet term for a new user.

#70 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:35 AM

Guys...if this turns in to a slanging match then it will be closed.

#71 mat.00d

mat.00d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:39 AM

Mate if you can't come up with anything to add you're not using your imagination, or much else up there.

oh, very mature, rolleyes.gif feel the need to insult to try to make your points eh?
and what makes you think i was offended at "newbies"? i was merely asking for a little thought before you throw the 'fleeceing parasites' blanket over everyone with less than whatever amount of posts.

just because you have managed to spit out 59 posts in the last <u>5 days </u>since you joined doesn't make you a big contributor of much more than insults. I'm starting to understand how you managed to get you post count up so fast.
So if you wanna resort to muck slinging, i joined before you, so tongue.gif

#72 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE: mat.00d @ Apr 23 2005, 10:39 PM

just because you have managed to spit out 59 posts in the last <u>5 days </u>since you joined doesn't make you a big contributor of much more than insults. I'm starting to understand how you managed to get you post count up so fast.

Interesting observation. Hasn't only happened on this thread.

#73 joinmeup

joinmeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:48 AM

Having a 20 post limit the forum will only lose one or two people therefore the post limit really only stuffs it up for one or two people.
Really only comes down to this Jerry and friend. Whatever the people running the forum decide, that's what will happen. cool.gif

mat, firstly it wasnt an insult - it was an obsevation, at least I'm giving you something to come and read(It's not hard to get to 20 posts)...what do you do?

dgstones, you're not still crying about being a crappy caddy are you? wink.gif laugh.gif

No don't answer that, I will

end

my posting on this thread so we don't turn it into a sling match as to Bebox' wishes. tongue.gif
Good luck to you all. cool.gif laugh.gif

#74 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:19 PM

Let's try and get this back on topic.

We want to prevent someone from dumping their golf gear on this site. The 20 post limit was devised.

1. Will it stop club dumping? Probably to a degree yes, but if someone really see's this site as a good selling spot, they can simply junk post until they hit 20. Just a thought, but did you guys think this might help increase forum traffic by forcing people to post?

2. Do we really care that they are dumping clubs? 3oneday does, I don't. Like buying stuff and as far as I am concerned the more the merrier. See the current front page for several examples of people under 20 posts, who are not dumpers and several who are.

3. A post limit, like it or not, will discourage some poeple from even bothering with our forums, ensuring that our site remains limited to the chosen few.

4. Are there better alternatives? Yes, and we already use one!! All new classified are moderated BEFORE they appear in the forum to ensure they comply with formatting rules. I would have thought that was the perfect time to remove any dumping from the site. It achieves the desired result without any of the side effects, and without a change to the current moderating system.

Love your thoughts
Jerry

#75 mat.00d

mat.00d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 06:07 PM

instead of a blanket restriction, why not have anyone wanting to sell submit a one time application (not every time they want to sell something) to the Administrators/ moderators, for either approval or rejection?
If approved, their user Id is "unlocked" or whatever. if rejected, they cannot submit another application for a month? Obviously there would be alot of long time members on here that would probably be exempt from having to apply, but new listers like myself would need to go through the process.

Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users