#46 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:49 AM

Jerry,

How about starting a poll ? Sounds like a reasonable suggestion by 3oneday.

#47 990B Luva

990B Luva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:55 AM

because of all of this kerfuffel how about ISG goes to the same format as BSG and make people pay to use the classifieds, i personally have no problem with this idea and think that you should stick with it

#48 kelp

kelp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE: Jerry Springer @ Apr 22 2005, 10:36 PM

Just note the last one one Ball Markers DG.  The guy lives in the UK has this as his one and only post, and guess what?  A couple of regulars are interested in dealing with him.  That surely says we shouldn't just place a carte blanche ban on such people, they obviously DO add something to us as regulars!

Jerry

Come on Jerry , do you want to give ball markers as a good example of buying and selling of golf equipment. dry.gif Wake up mate tongue.gif

#49 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE: dgstones @ Apr 22 2005, 09:49 PM

Jerry,

How about starting a poll ? Sounds like a reasonable suggestion by 3oneday.

Happy to start a poll, but as another example of why we shouldn't do it. Look at Fusion3000's history. His first two posts are club sales, now he is has posted in several areas and is up to 17 posts. Under this scheme he may not have even bothered.

Jerry

#50 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE: kelp @ Apr 22 2005, 10:00 PM

Come on Jerry , do you want to give ball markers as a good example of buying and selling of golf equipment.  dry.gif    Wake up mate  tongue.gif

Kelp, the suggestion is that they don't add anything to the forums. Ball markers or drivers, my point is they do, or people wouldn't respond. Read the arguements first, MATE!

#51 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:13 AM

okay...good idea...let's have this as a paid-service...that should keep Jerry happy... smile.gif

#52 joinmeup

joinmeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE: Jerry Springer @ Apr 22 2005, 09:03 PM

Bebox, you've been silent as a mouse throughout this process.  How many people asked you to do this, or something very similar?

There are currently roughly 1650 members of this webite, give or take a few.  This measure leaves just under 330 of them eligible to sell clubs.  So as far as I can see this is now a service for the priviledged few, I want YOU to tell me why this is such a great a move, because as far as I can tell, it has been implemented because a couple of grumpy old men got their knickers in a ruffle, and they complained to you.  Are we letting a few control the many?

Well I am complaining straight back, and at least one other member agrees with me, remove this restriction.

Jerry

Ok, lets use numbers then shall we, should everyone get an equal vote? Do the people who visit and contribute regularly and actually make it worthwhile for these under 20 posters to visit the place get more weighting?

1666 members
115492 posts (plus this one laugh.gif )
You say only 330 are eligible
Therefore there

members who have less than 20 posts
If we assume they all have 19 (which is nowhere near the truth) their total posts equal 19°1336=

Gee it would be a pretty bare sort of forum if we relied on these guys

So a total of 115492-25384=90108 posts between the "Elite" 330 other members.
That's an average of 273 posts each.
But wait lets take out Maus 11162 posts just to be generous,
so it would be 90108-11162=78946
and 78946/329(taking out Mau) = 239 posts each.

Hmm, numbers make it interesting doesn't Jerry.

#53 peanuts

peanuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5349 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 11:10 AM

Jerry

There's logic in what you're saying, and as one who almost never visits the classifieds section the issue's not one that bothers me.

I'm not coming out in support of you, but the question I'd ask Jason is, if you're paid by the post, why would you exclude people (other than spammers of course)? I understand you don't want to give people a free ride on buying/selling, but isn't there a better way - ie simply asking them to register a few more details than normal to be able to sell (Privacy regulations subject to of course)? If they're bona fide, then they'll comply. If not then you've got a tracking mechanism...

#54 3oneday

3oneday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE: Jerry Springer @ Apr 22 2005, 09:14 PM

Also, if it was such a minor issue why did you get so wound up about it in the first place? blink.gif

maybe it was that time of the month ??? wink.gif run a poll Jezzie, get on with it tongue.gif biggrin.gif it's all harmless chat, get your results and we'll debate some more.

By the way

OMG

, what you doing the end of June ??? can I send you my tax return ?? huh.gif huh.gif

Would now be a bad time to place a club in the classifieds ???

laugh.gif laugh.gif
Pete

#55 mat.00d

mat.00d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:31 PM

just thought i would throw in my 2 cents.
I had a club for sale but have requested the post to be removed from fear of being lynched from some people.

And before i get brushed off as a "newbie" i have been viewing these forums about once a week for about 18 months now, but as there are so many knowledgable golfers on here, by the time i get to read an interesting question/ or topic (i would rather be playing golf than talking about playing golf, no offense intended) more often than not, somebody has replied with roughly what i would have said and posting would have been redundant.

It has been only in the last few months (February I think) that i have actually signed up in order to make a post. Does this make me any less trustworthy? I have an Ebay feedback rating of 76 (100% positive for sales and purchases. user ID= "WRC.555" if you wanna check). I also help Moderate the Ozbow traditional archery forum My Webpage user name the same "wrc.555".

One final question, is this restriction for the purpose of making transactions safer? If so, I support it 100%. If its just to make people post more, then i can type useless dribble in "The Lounge" for a week or two to get my posts up, but that doesn't mean i'm contributing anything. rolleyes.gif

thanks for listining, i have a 10:15 tee off time and I desperately need to practice! biggrin.gif

Matthew Hood
Coffs Harbour
NSW 2450
Australia
Drivers lic. 12345678
TFN: ...

#56 3oneday

3oneday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE: mat.00d @ Apr 23 2005, 06:31 AM

If its just to make people post more, then i can type useless dribble in "The Lounge" for a week or two to get my posts up, but that doesn't mean i'm contributing anything.  rolleyes.gif thanks for listining, i have a 10:15 tee off time and I desperately need to practice!  biggrin.gif

Matt, you'd need to practice as well, with a 7.5° Tour Stiff driver blink.gif blink.gif

It's not a safety thing, it's not to make people post more, how do you stop people seeing this as a place to dump their gear, but not contribute in any other way ? mad.gif .

Maybe the only answer is a fee ?? that won't stop people from joining, because they want to anyway (that right Jerry ?? biggrin.gif ) and if they want to sell gear as well, they contribute financially to the forum.

I would like to find a way of not stopping newbies, but stopping folks, pro shops and wankers like recently, who don't ever contribute and never will. Is this possible ?? Maybe there isn't a middle ground ...

Pete

#57 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE: 3oneday @ Apr 23 2005, 06:55 AM

It's not a safety thing, it's not to make people post more, how do you stop people seeing this as a place to dump their gear, but not contribute in any other way ? mad.gif .

But how many people actually do that? I could only find 3 or examples in the last two months of someone "dumping". Fusion3000 and Mat.00d sound like genuine people, who are actually starting to contribute so I am not including them. Do we really need to implement this method of exclusion just because of the odd 'dumper'?

The classifieds are fine as they are, we don't need to change them at all.

OK, now the poll. I will get it started shortly.

Jerry

#58 mat.00d

mat.00d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE: 3oneday @ Apr 23 2005, 07:55 AM

Matt, you'd need to practice as well, with a 7.5° Tour Stiff driver  blink.gif  blink.gif

hence the reason i'm selling it. biggrin.gif
what can i say, i picked it up cheap and thought i would become Matt Daly. laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Matt

#59 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE: OMG @ Apr 22 2005, 10:35 PM

Ok, lets use numbers then shall we, should everyone get an equal vote?  Do the people who visit and contribute regularly and actually make it worthwhile for these under 20 posters to visit the place get more weighting?

1666 members
115492 posts  (plus this one  laugh.gif )
You say only 330 are eligible
Therefore there

members who have less than 20 posts
If we assume they all have 19 (which is nowhere near the truth) their total posts equal 19°1336=

Gee it would be a pretty bare sort of forum if we relied on these guys

So a total of 115492-25384=90108 posts between the "Elite" 330 other members.
That's an average of 273 posts each.
But wait lets take out Maus 11162 posts just to be generous,
so it would be 90108-11162=78946
and 78946/329(taking out Mau) = 239 posts each.
Hmm, numbers make it interesting doesn't Jerry.

Ummm, and your point is?

Yes a relatively small number of people are regulars, I for axample come in as the roughly 110th most frequent poster. This measure is only going to reduce the number of newbies who come in and post, making those number even worse. I would like to encourage them, not discourage them.

Jerry

#60 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:05 PM

I have submitted the poll but it doesn't appear? Have I stuffed up, or do these get treated differently to normal New Topic posts?

Jerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users