#16 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE: bebox @ Apr 13 2005, 09:47 PM

We think that this is fair and hopefully rewards those of you who visit often and offer their time, which we really appreciate.

No Bebox, it penalises us by restricting the variety of clubs on offer. I presume the unpleasantness of Sarrt83 has precipitated this action?

I repeat this restriction does NOTHING but eliminate product from these forums to our detriment.

It offers no security for anyone, how does a previous post history offer any security on your transaction? It rewards no-one. It doesn't add anything to Golf Classifieds. All it does is discourage people from posting on our forums, in particular Golf Classifieds.

Have we all gone mad? huh.gif

#17 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE: Jerry Springer @ Apr 20 2005, 08:23 PM

No Bebox, it penalises us by restricting the variety of clubs on offer.  I presume the unpleasantness of Sarrt83 has precipitated this action?

I repeat this restriction does NOTHING but eliminate product from these forums to our detriment.

It offers no security for anyone, how does a previous post history offer any security on your transaction? It rewards no-one. It doesn't add anything to Golf Classifieds. All it does is discourage people from posting on our forums, in particular Golf Classifieds.

Have we all gone mad?  huh.gif

Then goto ebay and stop your complaining. These aren't your forums, you don't fund them and you certinally don't make the decisions. How much stuff have you bought off these forums? You'd want to be buying every day with the noise you're making.

#18 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE: Ben @ Apr 20 2005, 09:17 PM

Then goto ebay and stop your complaining.  These aren't your forums, you don't fund them and you certinally don't make the decisions.  How much stuff have you bought off these forums?  You'd want to be buying every day with the noise you're making.

Ben, tell me what this measure would accomplish. I simply object to needless restrictions, I would like as many people posting on ISG as possible, and I fail to see how this helps. Enlighten me.

#19 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE: Jerry Springer @ Apr 20 2005, 09:33 PM

Ben, tell me what this measure would accomplish. I simply object to needless restrictions, I would like as many people posting on ISG as possible, and I fail to see how this helps.  Enlighten me.

So you think I should start dumping gear from my shop in the for sale area?

#20 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:10 AM

jerry...out of curiousity...have you ever bought anything from the golfs classified here on ISG???

I know it's hard to prove otherwise, but if you don't use it like u preach for it...what's the point???

again, I know u can say yes (heaps of time blah blah blah)...and I can't do anything otherwise, but just wanted to know thats all...

#21 3oneday

3oneday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE: Jerry Springer @ Apr 20 2005, 09:33 PM

Ben, tell me what this measure would accomplish. I simply object to needless restrictions, I would like as many people posting on ISG as possible, and I fail to see how this helps.  Enlighten me.

Jerry, how does someone coming in here and wholly and solely selling clubs add value to the forum ?? I would have personally preferred a post count of 100, you go through the classified and have a look at the number of 2 and 3 time posters. How does this help ??

Recently some of the sellers have lacked credibility, something they can/could build in here over time, similar I guess to ebay, have cred, will buy biggrin.gif .

I don't think 20 isn't enough, but at least 20 means they will have

hung around for a while !!!!

biggrin.gif

Pete

#22 joinmeup

joinmeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:59 PM

From what I have read, the classifieds have been added as a courtesy for the members of the forum. This would indicate to me that a person should be here to contribute to the forums and if they have equipment for sale they can also use this as another avenue to try and sell said equipment.
Forum first
Selling second...20 posts is not much to ask to be able to use the service.

#23 3oneday

3oneday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE: OMG @ Apr 21 2005, 06:59 AM

From what I have read, the classifieds have been added as a courtesy for the members of the forum.  This would indicate to me that a person should be here to contribute to the forums and if they have equipment for sale they can also use this as another avenue to try and sell said equipment.
Forum first
Selling second...20 posts is not much to ask to be able to use the service.

very nicely put biggrin.gif

#24 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE: 3oneday @ Apr 21 2005, 05:11 AM

Jerry, how does someone coming in here and wholly and solely selling clubs add value to the forum ?? I would have personally preferred a post count of 100, you go through the classified and have a look at the number of 2 and 3 time posters. How does this help ??

Recently some of the sellers have lacked credibility, something they can/could build in here over time, similar I guess to ebay, have cred, will buy biggrin.gif .

I don't think 20 isn't enough, but at least 20 means they will have

hung around for a while !!!!

biggrin.gif

Pete

Thankyou 3oneday!!! At last someone prepared to discuss the topic!

In my opinion, someone coming in to sell clubs on our forum achieves TWO positive outcomes;
1. It offers me as a member a club(s) to buy which I otherwise might not see
2. Once they are here it is a chance for us to convince them stay and contribute

Putting a 20 post minimum in place simply creates an us and them situation, and discourages new members from joining. Do we really want to become an Orwellian group where 'All ISG'ers are equal, but some are more equal than others?"

Furthermore how does a post history prove anything about an individual? Suggo was around for ages and got booted,as opposed to Sarrt who was a more short term dill.

So I don't like the idea because it reduces my buying choices, and discourages new members. If it offerred me some protection then it wouldn't be so bad, but it doesn't. It is a lose for old and new members alike.

Jerry

#25 3oneday

3oneday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE: Jerry Springer @ Apr 21 2005, 09:36 AM

1. It offers me as a member a club(s) to buy which I otherwise might not see

yes it does, but how would you deal with a person with 1 post as opposed to 300 ?? I have had people purchase gear off me through here who weren't members of ISG. Would you display more caution, or less, depending on a post count ??

QUOTE: Jerry Springer @ Apr 21 2005, 09:36 AM

2. Once they are here it is a chance for us to convince them stay and contribute

Not sure about this one, to some extent the sartt episode highlighted how easy it is to have a crack at the members, while the bad back bloke did the same.

No one is getting ripped off because guys like them get flamed pretty quickly, ie, they leave a trail that can be followed through ebay, other attempted sales etc. Do they add value ?? possibly novelty value, a release valve for the ones who enjoy ripping heads off, but generally they just add aggression, something this site could really operate nicely without. Generally though, and I'm sure

J

could confirm, they don't stay to even achieve 5 posts, let alone 20. Do their business and go.

I could come in here and post links to every item I have going, but eventually everyone would tire of it and start to complain. I/we choose not to do this out of respect for the site, and because we know that once it starts everyone would be doing the same.

I take your Suggo point onboard as well, I thought he had cred, and if he had sold stuff I would have taken his post count as a credible person. I suppose that comes back to the old chestnut of "ruining it for everyone else" mad.gif .

Possibly thought could be given to a system that is employed by tourspecgolf.com. They employ a feedback rating for their members who sell gear, so the purchasers can bolster said feedback. I believe this system also requires a small fee to be paid to the site managers.

Pete

#26 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:47 PM

So would you agree that placing a 20 post limit fails to solve credibilty issues in any substantial way, or enough to warrant the potential minuses it would cause?

Jerry

#27 joinmeup

joinmeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE: Jerry Springer @ Apr 21 2005, 12:47 PM

So would you agree that placing a 20 post limit fails to solve credibilty issues in any substantial way, or enough to warrant the potential minuses it would cause?

Jerry

Was it actually added for these reasons?

"We do not mind providing this service for free but would like to make sure that we are offering our regular users this service and not newbie users."

was the reason given and the credability thing was suggested by someone else after the restriction was already in place.

#28 smeagol190588

smeagol190588

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:09 AM

Bebox, this is a great idea. As I understand it the classifieds is a service for members to sell clubs to each other, not just an open slather selling site.
If you want a choice of all different products, go to ebay.

Jerry, I totally disagree with your view of this being a "needless" restriction. There's no perfect system to establish criedibility in this sort of scenario whether it's 20 or 50 posts or whatever, but at least this should stop the tossers coming in and abusing the intent of the forums (and polluting the board with inane marketing drivel) Beyond that everyone can judge on a members history what their credibility is - I know I certainly wouldn't buy from anyone who hadn't been around for a while.

A great example of common sense and regulation bebox, well done !!

#29 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE: OMG @ Apr 21 2005, 01:36 PM

Was it actually added for these reasons? 

"We do not mind providing this service for free but would like to make sure that we are offering our regular users this service and not newbie users."

was the reason given and the credability thing was suggested by someone else after the restriction was already in place.

So we in fact don't have a reason, we just want to be on a more elite level than newbies. Very welcoming of us, and hardly likely to promote a positive vibe on our forums for new users. On that basis we might as well as go for admittance by nomination only, that would certainly keep out the riff raff!

Jerry

#30 3oneday

3oneday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:55 AM

The reason - Can we limit these guys who simply join to sell stuff, and contribute nothing to the forums at all ??.
Maybe a limit of 50 or so posts may restrict these types of posts, some of these recent guys seem a little spammy, ie "I have this club, only used a couple of times"

I don't keep my sent PM's, but that was the crux of what I sent to Bebox, when it seemed we were getting these clowns every couple of days. They all seemed a little Pro Shop/Retailer orientated, thus saving money on proper advertising.

I think I may have also mentioned the words "Cranky Bastard" as well rolleyes.gif , in reference to myself.

People coming on here and simply (solely) selling stuff do not add value,

IN MY OPINION

biggrin.gif

Obviously this is a sentiment shared by J and a few others, but as in all good forums, we share our views. I shared mine, and still believe it holds water.

Whadya need to buy ???

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users