#1 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:47 AM

Hi Everyone,
It is happening more and more that people are signing up just to sell their golf equipment here and not offering anything else. They sell their gear, make their money and move on.

We do not mind providing this service for free but would like to make sure that we are offering our regular users this service and not newbie users.

SO...

You must now have a minimum post count of 20 to place an ad here in the Classifieds. That way we know you have given something to the forums and no doubt helped someone or offered useful commentary.

We think that this is fair and hopefully rewards those of you who visit often and offer their time, which we really appreciate.

Posts from members under the 20 mark will be deleted. We will also delete your classified if you post 20 useless posts to achieve the milestone quicker. You reward us with 20 quality posts and we'll reward you with a free way to sell your gear.

Bebox

PS - Thanks to the recent suggestions by a few of our regulars about this topic.

#2 bigALracing

bigALracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:22 AM

That is really not fair and have never come across anything like this before in other forums.

So what if people just sign up to sell their golf equipment!

That will just encourage people to post *****.

#3 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:34 AM

It was actually suggested by several of our readers. Why should we provide a free way for someone to sell to the largest online golf audience in Australia when they are not offering anything to our forums. They come in once, sell an item and never return.

It costs a tremendous amount of money to run this site so we think it is fair that people need to give something back in return for us allowing them to make money.

20 posts is very little but at least shows you are offering soemthing to the community here.

#4 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:39 AM

I don't believe I agree with this concept Bebox. I have been around a very long time on this group and have just recently climbed above 200, 50 would have taken me 6 months.

Furthermore, I love buying golf clubs, if Joe Schmo joins up just to sell his gear, GREAT!!! That is a plus for me, not a negative, even if the odd 'dimwit' try's to claim he ripped off everyone and spoils things every now again. So I vehemently oppose such an extreme form of regulation.

Bad idea.

Love Jerry

#5 puttputt

puttputt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:40 AM

QUOTE: bebox @ Apr 20 2005, 04:34 PM

It was actually suggested by several of our readers. Why should we provide a free way for someone to sell to the largest online golf audience in Australia when they are not offering anything to our forums. They come in once, sell an item and never return.

It costs a tremendous amount of money to run this site so we think it is fair that people need to give something back in return for us allowing them to make money.

20 posts is very little but at least shows you are offering soemthing to the community here.

Sounds fine but you should clarify if it is 20 or 50 post as you have stated 50 post in the body and 20 in the heading.

TGB

#6 Brew

Brew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:44 AM

I agree bebox, this forum is for discussing golf.
If people want to sell eqipment they can go to ebay.
Stick with it. 50 is good.

#7 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE: Brew @ Apr 20 2005, 04:44 PM

I agree bebox, this forum is for discussing golf.
If people want to sell eqipment they can go to ebay.
Stick with it. 50 is good.

Incorrect Brew, the Golf Classifieds area is clearly for selling golf clubs, whilst other areas are for Golf Talk, and some even post on AFL, NRL, Soccer and the Pope.

Surely it is to our benefit as users, to have as many people sell their gear here as possible. Hell we even convince a few people to come back. But this 'must be one of us' 20/50 post limit smacks of outright snobbery. It saddens me that we feel the need to be so insular.

Jerry

#8 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:53 AM

Sorry changed it to 20 from 50 a while back as 50 was too high. Forgot to change it in the body of the post.

20 is the figure...

#9 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:58 AM

Good work Jason!

#10 miro67

miro67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:12 AM

100% on board.

Why?

Because someone who has posted here for a while is likely to have shown to some extent their personality and hence given a hint about how dependable a sale from/to them will be.

Good move.

#11 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:13 AM

Excellent point miro67...it's our very own version of eBay feedback smile.gif

#12 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:43 AM

OK Bebox, how many members have only ever posted in Golf Classifieds as a seller? Second, has anyone posted a sale first and gone on to hang around posting in other forums. If we are going to become isolationist I would like to know why?

Jerry

#13 Anth

Anth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:12 AM

Good idea! I was thinking of raising the topic of perhaps having a previous post history to buy something offered for sale. Why? Because recently someone who wanted to buy an item I had for sale on this forum wanted it sent COD. He had signed up 2 days beforehand. I decided to not proceed and the other party understood my reasons as all the risk of the sale falling over was on my end.

A previous post history does provide some reasurance of the person on the other end of the transaction.

#14 IDGolfguy

IDGolfguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:41 AM

I agree that there must be some history on this forum prior to placing an advertisement here. I'm more likely to make a purchase from someone here who has some history. I have recently recommended a purchase based on this criteria and felt safe recommending that seller even though I had never met them.

I don't think any the regular forum users would like to see this forum become another 'used golf sale yard'. It would remove the focus of this forum.

#15 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE: Anth @ Apr 20 2005, 06:12 PM

Good idea! I was thinking of raising the topic of perhaps having a previous post history to buy something offered for sale. Why? Because recently someone who wanted to buy an item I had for sale on this forum wanted it sent COD. He had signed up 2 days beforehand. I decided to not proceed and the other party understood my reasons as all the risk of the sale falling over was on my end.

A previous post history does provide some reasurance of the person on the other end of the transaction.

So how does a person making 20 posts, give you any more security than a person making one? It will still be a transaction based on blind faith. BTW COD is exactly how most transactions should be carried out, as the seller you only risk the cost of postage, as the buyer must pay the PO cash to obtain the goods. If he doesn't front you get your club back, this issue is exactly the same on ebay. The only difference is ebay doesn't require you to have a rating of 20 before you can bid on anything. mad.gif

This idea protects no-one, and achieves nothing but to restrict the number of people who can participate in our forums, this is just wrong, and it makes me cringe.

Jerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users