5 replies to this topic

#1 MacLeod

MacLeod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 07:08 PM

first time for me entrusting my sticks to the "throwers" at virginblue for a plane trip soon.

any trips from diehard club carrying fellows? i got the dowel trick down pat, but i don't have a travel cover or hardshell.

i'll jest be chucking them in a sturdy golf bag with the cover on. problem foreseen?

#2 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 07:12 PM

I took mine down to tassie with virgin, they are great. They let me put them on the cart that goes out to the plane and not down the baggage run. I just used my normal Optima bag without a hard cover. What I did do tho was pack the rain cover with towles so the clubs didnt move and were padded smile.gif

#3 MacLeod

MacLeod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 07:16 PM

thanks ben, that was going to be my trick, coupla towels wrapped around to minimise movement. don't want my new gt ultimates to get dinged up! smile.gif

so should i ask at the checkin whether i can put it on the baggage cart? sounds very courteous of them.

#4 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 07:25 PM

I dont know what airport your flying out of but they let me do it in Melbourne and Tassie. I just asked them if I could bring them over to the guys rather than using the belt and she said that was cool.

cheers

Ben

#5 jockotaylor

jockotaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 07:20 PM

A good idea for graphite shafted clubs is to use pipe insulation. The type split down its length. It comes in a perfect length (one metre) and is readily available at little cost in DIY stores. (Thanks A A Adams)

#6 John J Jones

John J Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2765 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 08:40 AM

Golf clubs and planes don't tend to be a good mix. I've dragged my clubs around a lot of places and found there are a couple of points to consider.

1. Not only can shafts be broken but clubs can go missing. Best buy some sort of carry shell/bag goes over your normal bag and allows a small padlock on the zips. Discourages people trying your new Ping ISI driver out on the tarmac

2. Drivers being longer stick out more and tend to get more punishment. I invested in a one club hard sleeve for my BBB. Fits in the bag still, but the head and shaft are protected.

3. Shoes, towels, clothes etc packed around the heads of the clubs help.

4. Hard cases are a pain to use on big trips. They provide much more protection but you can struggle to fit them into some cars etc. They are also heavy and a pain to lug, even with wheels. I used one for a while until the friction between the bag and wall of the hard case wore a hole on the edge of the bag. Not happy.

There are some pretty reasonable soft cases around and if nothing else you can use them for overflow of the stuff that no longer fits in your suitcase by the end of the trip.

JJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users