Sorry, couldnt be bothered putting these in the right threads so I have started a new one.
Maanged to spend a couple of days at Barnbougle. Here are my thoughts.
1 The course. Very special. the first time I played it was possibly the best time I have ever had.
2. I played the course with 3 guys who have handicaps ranging from 10 to 27 and know nothing about golf courses. They also thought the trip was one of the best things they have ever done. They loved the course and all its funkyness.
3.The wind. After being terrified of the dreaded westerly, we got there to find the wind blowing from the east. Over two days, the wind never got above 2 clubs, blowing from the west on one day and across the course from the north on the second after being dead still for most of the morning.
4. It was great to catch up with Judge Smails in the carpark. Unfortunalty was not allowed to meat (edit: should read "meet", sorry for any misunderstanding Judge) the lady smails.
5. Henry is wrong if he reckons that the 7th at Royal Melbourne West is better than the seventh at Barnbougle. I can imagine it would have been terrifying aiming at that green with a mid iron into a stiff wind but it was probably just as scary trying to hold the green with a sand wedge downwind.
6. The walk from the 4th green to the 5th tee. Wow!
7. The 4 short Par 4s are sensational. Henry has suggested that the prevailing wind will make 4 and 12 less exciting but it must be noted theat they were both reachable in all 3 differnt winds that we played.
8. We were going to play off the tips until one of our group saw that the second set of tees were called the "boobyalla" set and insisted we hit off the "boobs". So we played one round off the tips and two off the ****.
9.THe accomodation is sensational, so is the steak in the clubhouse. And very fairly priced.
10. THe Par 5s as a set were a bit dissapointing. All were pretty good holes but all are on the worst side of the course. The 4 Short 4s all sit on spectacular land, the four Par 3s all sit on spectacular land, it is a pity that they were unable to build a par5 on spectacular land.
11. THe biggest dissapointment for me was the 8th hole. I just dont get it. There is no reason to hit to the top fairway, it is smaller and has more undulations. If I am hitting a long iron or wood I will take a blind shot from a flat lie rather than a sited shot from an undulating lie anyday. you dont need to see the pin on a long iron as much as you do on a wedge shot like at the 4th hole. And the green and the area around it is the flatest green complex on site, further reducing the need to come from any specific angle. I will take the 6th hole over the 8th hole anyday. I loved the way that green looked so hard to hit from the left side of the fairway.
12. I have no doubt the place will be viable. You dont have to be a golf nut to be blown away by it. And Bridport has a summer population of 5000 people. THe course is hardly in the middle of nowhere.
13. The course is unbelievably good. i had so much fun!