161 replies to this topic

#1 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:58 AM

Sorry, couldnt be bothered putting these in the right threads so I have started a new one.

Maanged to spend a couple of days at Barnbougle. Here are my thoughts.

1 The course. Very special. the first time I played it was possibly the best time I have ever had.

2. I played the course with 3 guys who have handicaps ranging from 10 to 27 and know nothing about golf courses. They also thought the trip was one of the best things they have ever done. They loved the course and all its funkyness.

3.The wind. After being terrified of the dreaded westerly, we got there to find the wind blowing from the east. Over two days, the wind never got above 2 clubs, blowing from the west on one day and across the course from the north on the second after being dead still for most of the morning.

4. It was great to catch up with Judge Smails in the carpark. Unfortunalty was not allowed to meat (edit: should read "meet", sorry for any misunderstanding Judge) the lady smails.

5. Henry is wrong if he reckons that the 7th at Royal Melbourne West is better than the seventh at Barnbougle. I can imagine it would have been terrifying aiming at that green with a mid iron into a stiff wind but it was probably just as scary trying to hold the green with a sand wedge downwind.

6. The walk from the 4th green to the 5th tee. Wow!

7. The 4 short Par 4s are sensational. Henry has suggested that the prevailing wind will make 4 and 12 less exciting but it must be noted theat they were both reachable in all 3 differnt winds that we played.

8. We were going to play off the tips until one of our group saw that the second set of tees were called the "boobyalla" set and insisted we hit off the "boobs". So we played one round off the tips and two off the ****.

9.THe accomodation is sensational, so is the steak in the clubhouse. And very fairly priced.

10. THe Par 5s as a set were a bit dissapointing. All were pretty good holes but all are on the worst side of the course. The 4 Short 4s all sit on spectacular land, the four Par 3s all sit on spectacular land, it is a pity that they were unable to build a par5 on spectacular land.

11. THe biggest dissapointment for me was the 8th hole. I just dont get it. There is no reason to hit to the top fairway, it is smaller and has more undulations. If I am hitting a long iron or wood I will take a blind shot from a flat lie rather than a sited shot from an undulating lie anyday. you dont need to see the pin on a long iron as much as you do on a wedge shot like at the 4th hole. And the green and the area around it is the flatest green complex on site, further reducing the need to come from any specific angle. I will take the 6th hole over the 8th hole anyday. I loved the way that green looked so hard to hit from the left side of the fairway.

12. I have no doubt the place will be viable. You dont have to be a golf nut to be blown away by it. And Bridport has a summer population of 5000 people. THe course is hardly in the middle of nowhere.

13. The course is unbelievably good. i had so much fun!

#2 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:04 AM

Jeffrey, not a bad review coming from a Cashmore lover. Do you think Cashy could have done a better job? wink.gif

#3 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:12 AM

Jeffrey, re: point 5 - if you read through my posts, you'll find that I nomindated the 7th as being better than 7W, ie. the best short one-shotter in Australia.

Otherwise, some interesting thoughts.

#4 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:21 AM

Jeffrey,

That walk from the 4th green to the 5th tee is

SPECIAL

- apologies to Bruce McAvaney.

The 8th hole is a bit tough from the tee IMO. There is talk that the grass over the mound in the middle of the fairway may be cut short.

Agree with you about the clubhouse and the steak...scrumdiddlyumptious.

There is no doubt the course is great and certainly looks a viable concern. It can only improve from where it is now due to the passion of the people involved with the project.

#5 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE: dgstones @ Feb 23 2005, 08:21 PM

Jeffrey,

That walk from the 4th green to the 5th tee is

SPECIAL

- apologies to Bruce McAvaney.

The 8th hole is a bit tough from the tee IMO. There is talk that the grass over the mound in the middle of the fairway may be cut short.

Agree with you about the clubhouse and the steak...scrumdiddlyumptious.

There is no doubt the course is great and certainly looks a viable concern. It can only improve from where it is now due to the passion of the people involved with the project.

God, I can't wait to play it in 3 weeks time! Even if JJJ doesn't shut up the whole way round tongue.gif

Love Jerry

#6 spooky

spooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:55 AM

Thanks Jeffrey, great insight.

Regarding your point #11 I think the reward for heading left is that the ball will sling to the right past the dune down the slope leaving you a short iron in, whereas going right will always leave you a mid to long iron in.

Regarding your point #8 laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Regarding your point #10 I think that given a reletively small parcel of land that TD routed the course perfecly so as to maximize the available wow factor land. To do this he would have had to use that available land with the shorter holes.

How were the practice facilties coming along? The bunker chipping area will be perfect just below the accom.. smile.gif

#7 vjay03

vjay03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE: Jeffrey @ Feb 23 2005, 07:58 PM

Sorry, couldnt be bothered putting these in the right threads so I have started a new one.

Maanged to spend a couple of days at Barnbougle.  Here are my thoughts.

1 The course.  Very special.  the first time  I played it was possibly the best time I have ever had.

2.  I played the course with 3 guys who have handicaps ranging from 10 to 27 and know nothing about golf courses.  They also thought the trip was one of the best things they have ever done.  They loved the course and all its funkyness.

3.The wind.  After being terrified of the dreaded westerly, we got there to find the wind blowing from the east.  Over two days, the wind never got above 2 clubs, blowing from the west on one day and across the course from the north on the second after being dead still for most of the morning.

4. It was great to catch up with Judge Smails in the carpark.  Unfortunalty was not allowed to meat (edit: should read "meet", sorry for any misunderstanding Judge) the lady smails.

5.  Henry is wrong if he reckons that the 7th at Royal Melbourne West is better than the seventh at Barnbougle.  I can imagine it would have been terrifying aiming at that green with a mid iron into a stiff wind but it was probably just as scary trying to hold the green with a sand wedge downwind.

6. The walk from the 4th green to the 5th tee.  Wow!

7. The 4 short Par 4s are sensational.  Henry has suggested that the prevailing wind will make 4 and 12 less exciting but it must be noted theat they were both reachable in all 3 differnt winds that we played.

8.  We were going to play off the tips until one of our group saw that the second set of tees were called the "boobyalla" set and insisted we hit off the "boobs".  So we played one round off the tips and two off the ****.

9.THe accomodation is sensational, so is the steak in the clubhouse.  And very fairly priced.

10.  THe Par 5s as a set were a bit dissapointing.  All were pretty good holes but all are on the worst side of the course.  The 4 Short 4s all sit on spectacular land, the four Par 3s all sit on spectacular land, it is a pity that they were unable to build a par5 on spectacular land. 

11.  THe biggest dissapointment for me was the 8th hole.  I just dont get it.  There is no reason to hit to the top fairway, it is smaller and has more undulations.  If I am hitting a long iron or wood I will take a blind shot from a flat lie rather than a sited shot from an undulating lie anyday.  you dont need to see the pin on a long iron as much as you do on a wedge shot like at the 4th hole.  And the green and the area around it is the flatest green complex on site, further reducing the need to come from any specific angle.  I will take the 6th hole over the 8th hole anyday.  I loved the way that green looked so hard to hit from the left side of the fairway. 

12.  I have no doubt the place will be viable.  You dont have to be a golf nut to be blown away by it.  And Bridport has a summer population of 5000 people.  THe course is hardly in the middle of nowhere.

13.  The course is unbelievably good.  i had so much fun!

Jeffery thanks for the post.
re point 1 Must agree. Golf is about fun, the wow factor and mates enjoying the challenge. Cant go to Ireland and Scotland every 3 months so back to Barnbougle in April.
re point 2 Played with guys of varying handicaps. All found a comfortable challenge off various tees.
re point 3 Cant comment, Played there twice in almost still conditions although with a stiff breeze on the way home the first time. Made 17&18 a tough finish.
re point 4 and 5 no comment
re point 6 YES!
re point 7 Agree especially hole 4. Really like 15.
re point 8 as above
re point 9 Have posted on this before. Top quality especially for the price.
re point 10 No comment really. 14 is just an eye catcher off the tee.
re point 11 Hole 8 Very tough. But it is rated no.1 For a very good reason!
re point 12, 13 Well IMO this is an exceptional course in Australia. The fact that it is accessible, affordable (see UK, USA and resort couses of far less quality) and a great golf trip. Golfers who love and appreciate golf and golf courses should consider olaying there.

No I'm not on the staff, just love links golf and this is a worthy example.

#8 ted.arlt.02

ted.arlt.02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:57 AM

Jeffrey
Good call all around but I especially agree when it comes to the par fives.

Henry
In a recent post 'stupid match play' you halved 7BD vs. 7RM. Must have been an oversight.

#9 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE: henry @ Feb 23 2005, 08:12 PM

Jeffrey, re: point 5 - if you read through my posts, you'll find that I nomindated the 7th as being better than 7W, ie. the best short one-shotter in Australia.

Otherwise, some interesting thoughts.

Sorry Henry, just going off your matchplay analysis which had them listed as a half.

#10 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE: Jack @ Feb 23 2005, 08:04 PM

Jeffrey, not a bad review coming from a Cashmore lover. Do you think Cashy could have done a better job? wink.gif

I wont have those scurrilous accusations that I am a cashmore lover. I really really like the Beach course at 13th beach. Some of his other stuff (THe Dunes) is OK and some is pretty ****. Fortunatly, the fact that I don't have a home course for Cashy to ruin means that I can view some of his work objectively.

BTW, I really dont like the fact that he named a hole after himself at Melton Valley.

#11 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:14 AM

14. Dont play number 3 down the 6th fairway, the approach is blind and from a difficult angle.

15. The Bridport Pub had Chambers Creek 2000 Cab Sav on special for $4 a bottle. Get there soon before it runs out.

16. I think they may as well put the yardages on the sprinklers. THe yardage book is good but it took a while to work out which sprinklers were which the first time around.

17 A lot of shots really buried in the bunkers. Only the very top quarter of the ball could be seen. Wouldn't be suprised if a few people lose a ball in a bunker.

18. Launceston has some sensational Roman Baths. Grat place to go after a couple of 36 hole days.

19. THe thirteenth gree is sensational. I can't wait to go back when the greens and surrounds are cut a bit shorter and the slopes around the course can be used to even greater effect.

#12 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:18 AM

20. THe staff were sensational.

#13 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:19 PM

Jeffrey, the good lady Smails that you saw perched up by the Club House is only a friend. There is a vacancy in the Lady Smails department as we speak...

The walk from 3 to 4 is unreal!!

#14 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE: judgesmails @ Feb 24 2005, 08:19 AM

There is a vacancy in the Lady Smails department as we speak...

Judge - get yourself up to Canberra pronto (take the camera)

#15 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:56 PM

Jack, are you sure that the post at the dumpster is still available?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users