Photo

Doak's Confidential Guide (to Aussie courses)

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#46 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE: Jerry Springer @ Jun 1 2005, 10:29 AM

JJJ, did you skip your coffee this morning? smile.gif You seem a trifle agitated..

Angry pills Jerry - probably got'em off Jim.

#47 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE: Thommo @ Jun 1 2005, 09:28 AM

i've only played the front nine at Commonwealth and I wouldn't give it an 8 based on that. 

Doaks rating was done before the new 1st, 6th, 7th and 12th were built.

#48 John J Jones

John J Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2765 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:57 PM

Jerry,

In Sydney - that's enough to make anyone angry.

JJ

#49 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE: John J Jones @ Jun 1 2005, 10:57 AM

Jerry,

JJ

Say hello to Matt for me

#50 Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE: John J Jones @ Jun 1 2005, 10:57 AM

Jerry,

JJ

I see they are using you to test the quality of their broadband service again. wink.gif

No doubting that the 1st is pretty awful at the Tree Farm. I am surprised that 14w has copped some criticism, 15w is the poor hole out that side, but 13, 14 & 16 are great.

The greenside bunkering at 14 is clever demanding an approach from the extreme left hand side of the fairway, but bunkers on the left side short of the green and the contouring of the green throw out your distance judgement making club selection into that green a problem. I think it a great short par 4 and one which still holds up despite the modern advances in distance.

#51 peanuts

peanuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5349 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE: Alex the Great @ May 31 2005, 09:47 PM

Briefly,
Lakes- average course, front nine absolutely mind numbingly boring
Royal Sydney- under-rated
NSW- great course, some terrible injustice's meted out to it by Newton Grant Spencer and Thomson over the years. 2nd green a prime example
Australian- pedestrian, agree with Doak

Calling the Lakes boring and in the same post saying Royal Sydney's underrated.
What a silly post laugh.gif laugh.gif

#52 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:37 PM

Thommo, next time you're in Melbourne, you'll have to come back and play all eighteen admittedly my rating of commonwealth was somewhat hindered by my form on said day...

however, Jerry Springer's title of 'tree farm' is quite appropriate.

as for the other hole I was referring to, it was the long boring straight one with the lake on the right. You were speaking to clayts while we were on the tee. The next hole is the one with all the trees, but was still quite a good hole despite the 10 or so I had, including a few shanks and the grave i dug in the fairway with my wedge.

having said all that, a better course than anything available in Brisbane.

#53 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:29 AM

Peanuts,

Have you played both courses? Apart from the 1st at the Lakes, the rest of the front nine is seriously pedestrian. The back nine has some fine holes,but 17 and 18 are quite ordinary. More style than substance, in my opinion, and I've played it under every different condition possible over the years.

Cheers

#54 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 01:13 AM

John J Jones, how about reading what I say in context? I agree that 1 is a shocker, but from the back tee it is nowhere near as bad as it is from the front right tee. From there, it ranks with some of the new holes at Kingswood!

#55 peanuts

peanuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5349 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE: Alex the Great @ Jun 1 2005, 12:29 PM

Peanuts,

Have you played both courses? Apart from the 1st at the Lakes, the rest of the front nine is seriously pedestrian. The back nine has some fine holes,but 17 and 18 are quite ordinary. More style than substance, in my opinion, and I've played it under every different condition possible over the years.

Cheers

I've played The Lakes a number of times, and RS (good initials those) once. I also walked RS in the 93 or 94 Aus Open. I don't think the Lakes is a superstar, and the front nine is distinctly inferior to the back, but RS would have to be the most boring course on the tourney rota.

#56 John J Jones

John J Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2765 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:31 AM

Henry,

It's a disgrace from both tees. Your comment was ;

Its not so bad a hole from the back.

Which would indicate that its almost OK from the back when in fact from the front, the back and even the car park its pure rubbish and an insult to the members.

Alex the Great,

I'm with Peanuts on RS. Easily the most over rated course in this country. A couple of reasonable holes with plenty of dross in the middle of the bowl. Before it was changed I lovingly referred to it as Albert Park North, since the changes I understand it has become the Rose Bay Palms.

JJ

#57 mothman

mothman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:44 AM

QUOTE: John J Jones @ Jun 1 2005, 05:31 PM

Henry,

It's a disgrace from both tees.  Your comment was ;
Which would indicate that its almost OK from the back when in fact from the front, the back and even the car park its pure rubbish and an insult to the members.
Alex the Great,

I'm with Peanuts on RS.  Easily the most over rated course in this country.  A couple of reasonable holes with plenty of dross in the middle of the bowl.  Before it was changed I lovingly referred to it as Albert Park North, since the changes I understand it has become the Rose Bay Palms. 

JJ

Rose Bay Palms - tough crowd (if I knew what you meant by that)!

They didn't plant palm trees out there did they??

#58 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE: henry @ Jun 1 2005, 03:13 PM

John J Jones, how about reading what I say in context?  I agree that 1 is a shocker, but from the back tee it is nowhere near as bad as it is from the front right tee.  From there, it ranks with some of the new holes at Kingswood!

Surely it is better from the front where you can see the green.

#59 _Andrew_

_Andrew_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:02 AM

I think the Charles Lane stuff at Commonwealth is fantastic & I can see why Doak rates it an 8. I don't believe GCA strategy is particularly complex & Lane seemed to understand that fact. Many after him have not.

RMW16 is an excellent hole. I don't mind 14 either, it's just unfortunate the houses are so close.

#60 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:10 PM

Jeffrey, the front right tee is almost in the trees. From there, all you can see is the left half of the fairway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users