134 replies to this topic

#1 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:29 AM

Having read all the magazine articles, golf forum posts etc etc etc, I've decided I want to experience this place. It sounds like golfing heaven.

The wife and I are going to Tassie for the first time. We have been talking about going there for years. While staying in Tassie we will visit places such as Port Arthur, Hobart, Bicheno, Launceston, St Helens, Freycinet National Park etc.

Made an email enquiry to stay on course for 2 nights and to play 1 round of golf at

B D

Booked the airfares on the internet...

What a bargain

...$ 90-00 each, all inclusive from Melbourne to Launceston return. We will hire a car and stay in motels.

I'm really excited about this upcoming trip. Barnbougle Dunes has motivated me to travel to Tasmania. How many other golfers are going to travel there for the first time for the same reason as me ?

My wife said to me, "You want to go to Tasmania to play golf at Barnbougle Dunes, don't you ?"

It's a win-win situation for us both. She gets to go to the Cadbury chocolate factory near Hobart and I get to play golf at

B D

wink.gif

#2 ThanksForAllTheFish

ThanksForAllTheFish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 06:35 PM

I'm with you dgstones. I've begun a subtle campaign of suggesting Tasmania as a wonderful holiday destination "one day" to my wife. All is progressing according to plan.

Just make sure the Cadbury factory is open when you go. I took my kids down there one January only to find that the place was shut.

#3 _Andrew_

_Andrew_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 06:53 PM

dg,

If your wife likes chocolate, when in Hobart, go to the old womens prison in the suburb of Cascade on the foothills of Mount Wellington. They make & sell the best fudge I have tasted anywhere in the world.

Of course, a disciplined man like myself doesn't indulge in such foods.

#4 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 06:55 PM

If you're staying there for two nights, try and negotiate another round with your wife - hanging around there for too long without playing again will be painful! When I played there again a couple of weeks ago it was blowing a hurricane, it was uncomfortable, and I shot about 400. But once I putted out on 18, I wanted to head straight for the 1st tee. It does that to you.

Port Arthur is a very sad place, for so many reasons. It feels like the end of the earth (which I suppose it is!) But you could spend days there. Go on a tour when you arrive, and try to get Colin as your guide.

Go on the chairlift across Cataract Gorge in Launceston.

#5 mac

mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:40 PM

dgstones

I will be intersted in what you think of the double dogleg, par 5, 14th - it is worth comparing it to the 9th at Northern!!

And eat in the clubhouse rather than in Bridport - it is one of the best resturant sites in the country.

#6 marcel

marcel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:41 PM

"Made an email enquiry to stay on course for 2 nights and to play 1 round of golf at B D."

Have you had a reply?, I emailed about a month ago and heard nothing, ended up just using the phone to book everything.

"They make & sell the best fudge I have tasted anywhere in the world."

Take this as gospel, the man is an expert tongue.gif

I'm with henry (as usual), gotta play more than 1 round.

#7 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:52 PM

Tour Update

Barnbougle Dunes

Made direct phone booking for accommodation and golf. Staying on course Wed 9th & Thur 10th February. $ 120-00 per night per couple. Golf on Thur 10th Feb 10-00am Hit-Off $ 80-00.

#8 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE: mac @ Jan 17 2005, 09:40 AM

And  eat in the clubhouse rather than in Bridport - it is one of the best resturant sites in the country.

Mac

I have been told that the restaurant opens at 7am and closes at 11pm.
What is the chefs specialty ? wink.gif

Is it true there are caddies available at the course ? If so, how much and who is the best one ? I'm sure it won't hurt me to have an expert navigator plot me around the links. The wife will be too busy looking for Titliest Pro V1's in the rough. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#9 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:23 PM

dgstones, I'm pretty sure that the caddy program didn't work out. Make sure you use the course guide instead - its one of the best yardage books you'll see.

#10 elizabeth

elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:33 PM

Chef's specialty...could it be Wallaby?

DG, check out the TAB in Bridport. Stepping over the sleeping German Shephard to hand in your ticket is an experience! ohmy.gif

Actually, so is ordering a pot - the standard size is and 8 ounce...2 sips and you're done! biggrin.gif

Liz

#11 wrosloketr

wrosloketr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:32 AM

rolleyes.gif[/B]

"Thats a big piece of chocolate hun"
Barnbougle does'nt have free tastings, only divets.

#12 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE: henry @ Jan 17 2005, 11:23 AM

dgstones, I'm pretty sure that the caddy program didn't work out.  Make sure you use the course guide instead - its one of the best yardage books you'll see.

Thanks Henry wink.gif

#13 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:55 AM

Here's a little gem of a place that will be included in the itinerary

www.ausgolfmuseum.com

#14 _Andrew_

_Andrew_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:55 AM

QUOTE: dgstones @ Jan 17 2005, 02:55 PM

www.ausgolfmuseum.com

The museum is all right & not too far from Hobart. (About 1 hours drive)

Have a game there as well. It may be the only time you play fenced off greens. (Not much of a course, but worth the experience if you have the time)

#15 spooky

spooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE: dgstones @ Jan 17 2005, 02:55 PM

www.ausgolfmuseum.com

That's Greg Ramsay's family's concern, and the Bothwell course as well...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users