#1 george023

george023

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 08:21 PM

Hey Jocko,

Seeing as though you're in Bonnie Scotland, just wondered if you've had the pleasure of playing the legendary Old Course at St Andrews? If so, tell us about it.

While on the topic, did anyone catch The Great Outdoors last night as they had a story on St Andrews. Looks like a great place for the mad golfer. Andrew Daddo seems like he hits it okay. Also looks like he's scored himself a TaylorMade sponsorship of some sort. Can't go wrong there!

#2 cazandpaul

cazandpaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 09:14 PM

G'day Jocko,

Please also tell us about any of the other great Scottish courses you have played - we saw a bit of The Old Course, Carnoustie and Kingsbairn(?) last week from the Dunhill Links tournament.

It's good to have a different perspective on our great game - please tell your friends about this site - maybe an international iseekgolf grudge match?

Regards

Paul

#3 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 03:35 AM

One of my friends played the Old Course many years ago about a month or so prior to it hosting the British Open. he was made to carry a piece of artificial turf to place his ball on so as not to ruin the fairways. He still loved it though. I cant wait for the day it's my turn!
Brendan James from Golf Australia Magazine wrote a great series of articles about him and his mate as they toured England, Scotland and Ireland playing golf. The issues would date back a bit now but if you could find out what issues they were, they are well worth the read.

#4 jockotaylor

jockotaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 04:27 PM

I have never played St Andrews. You either book a tee months in advance or put your name in the ballot the evening before and take pot luck. Fife is reputed to have more courses per head of population than anywhere else so I am spoilt for choice with courses to play. My home course is Burntisland www.burntislandgolfhouseclub.co.uk and it is more than enough challenge for me. It was reported during coverage of the Open at Muirfield that the rough had been cut back to make it less of a challenge than for the normal members rounds! If you are lucky enough to get a round at Muirfield you are warned not to arrive more than 30 minutes before your tee time. Seemingly, they don't like riffraff in the car park.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users