8 replies to this topic

#1 george023

george023

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 01:35 AM

In need of help guys. I was playing the first round of our club championship on Saturday and played the first 11 holes 2 over the card (off a 12 handicap). I then starting thinking about all these wonderful things such as breaking 80 for the first time, being first round leader and telling the wife the news as well. Then I just fell apart. The holes couldn't end fast enough. I finished with 83.

Can anyone suggest any ways to counter the anxiety and what to tell yourself when in a position of playing well to overcome the nerves and tension? It happens every now and then and once and for all I want to put it behind me so it doesn't happen again. Thanks.

#2 james

james

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 02:34 AM

I know exactly what you're talking about: a couple of weeks ago I was +2 through 8 holes, and ended up with 89. I suspect that I collapsed because I started to think about the end result rather than the individual shots I was faced with.

I havn't been able to counter this problem yet, but I'm told that the best method is to try and focus on each shot alone: don't think about your score or what you need to do later in the round. Set yourself small targets that are achievable. Once you achieve one goal, move onto another one.

Do anything you can to distract yourself between shots, because thats when your mind can get the better of you.

#3 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 08:25 AM

routine, routine, routine... get into a routine for each and every shot. It will train the mind to focus on the shot you have to play, not the ones you cant yet smile.gif

Ben

#4 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 09:02 AM

If only there was a way to stop our minds from working OT... biggrin.gif

I've been there, done that, and no doubt, will do it again...it's just normal human psyche...it's what seperates us weekend warriors from the pros. Their ability to focus, and not get ahead...I can't help but think ahead...like if I par in from here, I'll shoot so & so...etc etc...

It's different for every individual I think...I've shoot 74s and 75s whilst having fun with the rest of the guys, I've also shoot the same score keeping to myself, and not interacting too much with them...on the other hand, I've shoot 87,88,89 etc etc doing the exact same things...

You'll have to find a way to 'distract' yourself between shots...mine is to carry a club with me between shots...then I'll try and work on my grip...takeaway - followthru...of coz this only works if you're carrying your bag, and not on a pull cart. If I'm not using the club...I'll just get my hands/arms to simulate the backswing-followthru path...it keeps my mind on the basics rather than what I could score etc etc...

But once you get into the flow, you'll tend to just carry on...coz I don think you'll be thinking too much of your score. Holes 4-14 are usually the bogey holes - where this can happen...once you can get to 14, then you should be right...in most cases anyway... :roll:

In my case, my bad is always comparing my best score for the nine - and not playing the course. I've got to a stage where I've hit 34s for both the front and back nine - and I'm always using that as a yardstick - setting my score to that...it's wrong...but can't help it. sad.gif
I also cant seem to bounce back after a bad hole...it tends to go downhill after that, coz I know I've just blown my chances...bad...but also...can't be helped...

anyway...hope the tip helps...
Mw.

#5 naragah

naragah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 05:52 AM

:twisted:

beers lot of them

#6 choco

choco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 08:04 AM

When playing i never check to see how i'm going on the card and i also tell my marker not to inform me either.last sunday i got 23 stableford points on the front 9,the guys i was playing with were telling me i would easily shoot 40+ for the round,my game fell apart,i just could'nt stop thinking about my score.
Your better off playing each hole as it comes and at the finish of the round tally up your score,keeping the mind clear of what you've got so far in the round rids you of unwanted pressure.

#7 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 06:46 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem, a couple of weeks back I was 2 over after 11 holes playing off 16 and then had a triple on the 14th, double on 17 and 18 (Both 3 putts) and shot 81 having not yet broken 80. I was playing a match which I won 7/6 and only after the match was over did I think about my individual score and BANG, thats all she wrote. A mate of mine who is a very good player told me, when I was trying to break 90 for the first time, that he had the smae mental block when it came to breaking par for the first time then once it happened it was like all the barriers had come down. Not long after that I shot an 89 and was stoked, 2 rounds later I shot an 81! Just goes to show its all mental, I think the best advice came from Ben telling us to stick to a routine and then from naragah, just hit the Amber fluid and let the rest of the world worry about it!

#8 golfer69

golfer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5258 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 08:41 PM

I'd be happy these days just to get into some type of position to have a good choke.

They say to be a "has been", you actually have to have been somewhere first !

#9 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1166 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 08:02 PM

I think Mau's right; you have to distract yourself from thinking about your score. This is probably the hardest thing for a club golfer to do when you've got a hot round going. Think about what you did to get there in the first place. The most important thing I believe is to relax - talk to your partners about non-golf related stuff. Take the attitude that whatever will be will be. My mate always says "no matter what you end up shooting; remember you're on a golf course doing what you love - it doesn't get better than that. Your worst day on the golf course is better than your best day at work."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users