6 replies to this topic

#1 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 02:34 AM

what a fantastic day of golf it was...was glued to the telly...

But let's cut to the chaste...who's the weak link so far for either teams???

My choice for the first day is pretty obvious - Harrington is one for Europe...but surprise (maybe not) Tiger for the US. He's not cut out for team play...especially foursomes...fourball..not a problem as he's playing his own game...foursomes is totally different. And to miss two putts...both prob no more than 3 feet is a shocker...what makes it even worse is that he did it on consecutive greens...and you cant keep on using the excuse of the greens...Bjorn/Clarke, Mickelson/Toms & Monty/Langer putted beautifully all day...

I agree with Curtis pairing for the foursomes...get the rookies out there, and now he's in the situation where all his team has played, while Sam has 3 more on the sideline, and I'm not sure how he's gonna blood them for this afternoon.
My view on this would have been to get your top guns in fourballs comp...and let the rookies team up in foursomes, as they tend to lift that little bit more playing foursomes on their debut - Sutton/Verplank & Furky/Cink.

let's hope the great play and sportsman ship continue on for the weekend...

* personally...would have been a nice touch if Europe had given Mickelson the putt on the last... smile.gif *

#2 choco

choco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 02:40 AM

Hey Mau,

Do you know if the Ryder cup is sponsered by a tobacco company?
This is the first time i've seen a few mentions of cigs in a golf game. :evil:

#3 gooner10

gooner10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 07:26 PM

The Europeans aren't giving away many putts...Why couldn't Strange pair up Tiger and Duval? They've played together before...

#4 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 11:01 PM

it was mentioned thru the telecast that Woods fourball/foursome results have been dissapointing, and that he's had Steve Pate, Lehman, Duval, Calc and one more before, and he's had a hard time gelling with the guys...Duval and Woods is/would be an aweome team...as they proved last year in Japan at the World Cup, but Duval is seriously out of form - as highlighted by that huge pull into the lake on 6??? nevatheless...he is still one of the best putters...

and of coz in typical Woods fashion, comes out on Sat and proves everyone wrong... :oops: ...and wins two points for USA. I don't think you could get two different personalities in Woods and Love, but the seem to complement each other...from what I saw last nite, it looked like they didn have much to say to each other...

choco - from where I am...the only sponsorship that jumps up is Rolex...Renton does mention Bjorn smoking a few times...but other than that I'm not too sure...is Aus getting the european or the american coverage?!?!

neva been a fan of Furyk...but this guy has got some game...I think he was the only one peppering the pins in the fourballs yesterday...too bad he missed that little putt on 15... biggrin.gif

#5 gooner10

gooner10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:03 AM

Great win by the Europeans!!!

They deserve it!

That pull by Duval nearly made it onto the other side of the lake, thats a 15 to 20 yard pull...similar to Sergio's pull hook at the US Open...

#6 cazandpaul

cazandpaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:05 AM

Did my eyes deceive me or was Tiger's cap the only one that did not have Team USA embroidered on it?

Regards

Paul

#7 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 04:32 AM

Caz&Paul...

I think ur eyes are playing tricks... smile.gif Team USA on the back 4 sure...prob on the side too...

It was great to watch last nite...I've got new found respect for Monty...he's such a sweet iron player, and only just realised what a great putter he is...chalk one up for the belly putters.

Harrington...great game...proved me wrong...as did Woods... :oops:

How good was Price to stand up. Took guts...wasn't impressed with Phil's reaction to his loss...sour grapes if you ask me. Fasth too...great big game player...needs to tone it down a little...maybe Azinger was taking the mickey out of him when he holed that 6 footer for the half on 17???

Rusty...tot that the lake was bigger than that...still...as I mentioned earlier...DD is out of form...but great putter...

anywayz...lets hope some of the players who went in out of form, comes out full of confidence...and start playing well...

Well done Europeans... biggrin.gif

On another note...maybe the winner of the Ryder Cup should play the International the following year??? At least that way...Europe can get a chance to play Rest of the World as well...just a thought...any comments?!?!?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users