3 replies to this topic

#1 raidrboy

raidrboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 06:56 AM

How often is it that we see a player with an above par score win a professional tournament these days(with the exception of the majors). What about these stats. In the Acer Taiwan Open (Asian PGA Tour) which finished today, Danny Chia won the event with scores of 76-70-77-68; for a +3 score of 291.
In the 1st round 6 players scored a 90 or above and a further 74 players scored 80 or above.
A total of 11 players either RTD or WD after the first round.

Any comments as to whether this may be some kind of record?.

#2 cazandpaul

cazandpaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 05:09 PM

You would have to imagine the weather had something to do with the scores.

Better than the stroll around Mt Juliet for the World Golf Championship - a beautiful course but where was the challenge?

Tiger kept hitting irons off the tee and mid-short irons onto the green - what kind of 'world' championship is that?

Can you imagine the uproar if someone shot 26 under at Royal Melbourne, NSW, Royal County Down, Pinehurst or any of the other courses these tournaments should be played on?

Could I be as silly to suggest that cash could have been involved?

Regards

Paul

#3 james

james

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 05:52 PM

The only reason that Mt.Juliet is hosting this tournament is money. Simple. It's probably a similar scenario to what happened at The Grand last year for the Australian Open (which doesn't need to be discussed here). Hosting this event is great publicity for the resort: although everyone I've spoken to thinks its a goat track!

Why is this course so easy? I'd imagine it relies on weather as a defence, and the greens aren't hard enough to stop these guys from sticking the ball where it lands easily.

cazandpaul every great golf course in the world now suffers the same indignity regarding distance. The solution, however, is not in lengthening or building longer courses: its in regulating the ball so that it doesn't go as far. This means winding the distance back to previous levels (some have suggested the early 80's).

For those who believe that the technology should rule, I say, where does this debacle end? Will you be happy with 8000 metre courses? All it does is add more cost to playing golf, and destroy the soul of the game. And renders irrelevant any short holes.

#4 cazandpaul

cazandpaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 04:23 PM

James

Please don't go into shock but I agree with you 100%.

I believe there to be no better hole than a short par 4 enticing a shot at the green but penalising anything less than a perfect shot.

Also the short par 3's such as at Pebble Beach and the Postage Stamp (Troon?).

You didn't have to think too hard at Mt Juliet.

Regards

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users