#1 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 11:46 PM

Okay, here's the situation.

I've been hitting driver really bad lately. High right fades most of the time, though it used to be much better with the same club. This has been happening probably for about 2 months, maybe a little longer.

So I thought I'd try something a little different on Sunday. I kept the driver in the bag but dropped the 3 wood in preference of a 1 iron. It was quite windy at the course I was playing (Belmont) so I thought some low irons into the wind would be ideal.

The result was I hit 10/11 fairways with the 1 iron and 1/3 fairways with driver. I have been hitting no better than 6 or so fairways a round with the driver.

Now I'm a little baffled. 1 iron is supposed to be the hardest club to hit but I was striking it so sweetly on Sunday that it may have a permanent position in the bag. Distance was good, probably only 10m or so less than those guys hitting driver.

What do you think is going on with me and my driver?

#2 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 12:59 AM

Hi Hindo,

Well I'm a firm believer in if you have a good swing and you can hit your long irons but not your driver its generally a shaft problem. The characteristics of a shaft being too flexible are high fades or slices (depends what handicap your on to what you call them right? wink.gif ).

Tho it could be more than that aswell.. Could be a swing weight problem with your dirver, maybe its too light? Could be shaft length in your driver (directly related to swing weight), and it could be that you have your stance open when you setup to your driver smile.gif.

The stance one is a trap I fall into when I pull the big dog out for a hit.

What shaft are you playing in the driver atm? Flex, tourqe, and how it was trimmed would be helpful info smile.gif Also do you know the swing weight off hand?

Cheers

Ben

#3 miike

miike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 03:24 AM

Hi HindO
I suggest you buy some decent clubs and get some lessons.
Regards
Mike

#4 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 06:06 AM

hindo...

going thru exactly the same thing...driver can behave itself one day - can't wait to get rid of it the next day.

With my driver...my bad shot is the high cut...wheras with my fairway woods...high draw/hooks...so I've dropped the 5 wood (kept the 4) and added a 2 iron for t-shots. Hitting the 2 iron well...it's my anti-hook club, and doesnt seem to cut...which is good for me...

maybe you're not expecting too much with ur 1 iron??? it takes less pressure off your swing and that's probably the reason why you're striking it well...and with the driver...can't wait to smack it and get the good distance THAT you know you can get...(that's how I feel with my driver anyway...)

It's probably not ur driver (as suggested by Ben) as you said that it worked well initially...if a club works well and then drops off after a period of time...it means you've picked up a nasty habit in ur swing...if a driver doesn't work well at the very start...it's the driver...whether it be shaft, swing weight etc etc...not suited to ur game/swing...

Not dissing Ben tho...it could be as simple as club design...but I'll probably suggest it's most likely at the set-up. Could you be leaning too much to ur left (if right handed) - not enuff weight on ur right side??? (40% -60%)

Worse comes to worse...I always recommend shortening of the shaft to about 44 inches...not as short as a three wood...but feels like it...had mine cut down an inch...and its more managable...

hope it helps... smile.gif

#5 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 07:43 AM

Howdy Hindo,
Had the same problem recently with my old Callaway driver and my 3-iron. At my best I am one sad golfer but one day I go out and put the driver down the fairway no problem and then a week later I am hitting so badly that I just put it back in the bag and pulled out my 3-iron and used that off every tee without a problem. I went to the driving range a few days later and exactly the same thing...couldn't hit the 3-iron but driver was fine...yikes!!

Wouldn't have a clue why it is happening but you are not alone... biggrin.gif

#6 choco

choco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 09:19 PM

Hi Hindo,

I'm having the opposite,my drives have been choice,but my putting has gone to the dogs,will it ever come all together for me?
Anyway persist and practise with your driver,using and old club box on the ground with the ball teed up next to it will sort your swing out very quickly.

#7 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 11:37 PM

Hi HindO
I suggest you buy some decent clubs and get some lessons.  
Regards  
Mike

Any suggestions Mike?

I'm pretty sure it's a case of the Indian and not the arrow.

#8 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 11:54 PM

Wouldn't have a clue why it is happening but you are not alone...  :D

Thanks Jason, that makes me feel a little better.

#9 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 11:56 PM

Hi Hindo,

I'm having the opposite,my drives have been choice,but my putting has gone to the dogs,will it ever come all together for me?

From my experience, no. It is very rare that everything comes together at the same time. :wink:

#10 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 10:53 PM

Hindo,
I had a similar problem a while back. I identified the problem as being related to having a different swing plane for my driver than for my irons. I was flushing my irons, but like you the odd drive was this weak high cut. I went to the range and had a mate look at my swing to see if there were any glaring differences. When I adjusted the driver swing so that my swing plane was a little more "upright" I started nailing the drives. Now I make a conscious effort to go back low & slow and focus on a good swing plane. I also like to feel my weight on the heels of my feet and feel the weight of the clubhead swinging hard through the contact area. Sometimes you can get over the ball and everything feels just right; other times no matter what you try, you can't seem to get that comfortable feel over the ball.
Chevy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users