4 replies to this topic

#1 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 10:24 AM

I’ve been studying Abe Mitchell’s book for the last few years. And implementing many of his teachings in my own game. Have to say the results are wonderful. Longer more consistent strikes, and more fairways and greens. Not really focusing on positions or a massive body pivot. Just intentions and forces applied to the club and my stance. Doing this with no camera, just judging by ball flight

Do these old school teachings still hold a lot of validity ?

Edited by Big Bopper, 09 March 2021 - 10:25 AM.

#2 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2633 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 10 March 2021 - 05:51 PM

I’ve been studying Abe Mitchell’s book for the last few years. And implementing many of his teachings in my own game. Have to say the results are wonderful. Longer more consistent strikes, and more fairways and greens. Not really focusing on positions or a massive body pivot. Just intentions and forces applied to the club and my stance. Doing this with no camera, just judging by ball flight

Do these old school teachings still hold a lot of validity ?

there used to be a few on this web site who followed Abe Mitchell’s teachings. As far as the fundamentals of the game go, I don’t think much has changed. If his teachings are working for you, can’t ask for much more.

#3 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 07:02 PM

BB,

Back in the day I looked into Abe Mitchell. I might have a book of his, or about him, here somewhere.

I liked a couple of your comments though. "not really focussing on positions or massive pivot". "just intentions" "just judging by ball flight" paying attention to "stance"

Those are gems, imo.

Having studied a vast amount of golf teaching, old and new, I don't think there is much out there that would benefit you over and above what you are doing, in fact more complexity might make you worse.

#4 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 07:42 PM

BB,

Back in the day I looked into Abe Mitchell. I might have a book of his, or about him, here somewhere.

I liked a couple of your comments though. "not really focussing on positions or massive pivot". "just intentions" "just judging by ball flight" paying attention to "stance"

Those are gems, imo.

Having studied a vast amount of golf teaching, old and new, I don't think there is much out there that would benefit you over and above what you are doing, in fact more complexity might make you worse.

This is the “odd” feeling I have. My hands, club face , and body always ‘feel’ as if they are target oriented. Like I’m in control knowing where the club face is at all times. Kinda feels like a hammer throw motion

But I only focus how the ball is flying. And the consistency of the hit itself. I know without TrackMan numbers and such many will just pass over this. But I can truly say the ball is flying very true

#5 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 07:43 PM

there used to be a few on this web site who followed Abe Mitchell’s teachings. As far as the fundamentals of the game go, I don’t think much has changed. If his teachings are working for you, can’t ask for much more.

I have a very very old copy of his original publication. And after many a read thru. I’m honestly able to say it is working

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users