Photo

Can I Ground The Putter On The Green To Help Determine Slope?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ice9

ice9

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:35 PM

Hi,

I'm unsure if the following is legal or not.

What I'll do is stand perpendicular to the line of my putt with my feet one side and the sole of my putter on the other. Let's say for argument sake that my feet and the putter are 2 feet apart. So my feet are 1 foot from the likely line of my putt and the putter is also 1 foot from the likely line of my putt - on the other side.

What I'm trying to do is fine tune a line/break so I'm not going to be so wrong before I place the putter on the ground that either my feet or the putter will be on the actual line I end up taking. I say this as I'm fairly sure you can't test the actual line of the putt. 

Doing this helps me to tell if what seems like a flat green is breaking gently one way or the other. I find this easier to interpret that standing with a foot either side of my line (which I think is legal right?) 

Any thoughts here. (I hope I've explained this clearly and apologies if it's obvious or covered before) 

In short can I place the sole of the putter on the green if it's not on the line of my putt? 

Thanks

-Conor 

#2 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:46 PM

Relax, Conor!    

You  are allowed to  touch  your line of play as long as you don't improve it.   See Rule 10.2b (2). 

The rule about testing applies only to rubbing the surface of the green or rolling a ball on it with the intention of testing it.

Using a putter to help the player with the slopes of a green is commonplace and legal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users