iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16314 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:33 PM

Had an interesting one today.
Two players were just off the front of the green and wanted to go the Texas Wedge.
Player 1 was almost directly in front of player 2 in line with the flag and player 2 was disappointed their putting line was blocked.I suggested that they let player 1 putt on first as an alternative.
My marker then said that player 1 could mark their ball and let player 2 have a clear putt as both had elected to “putt” for their next strokes.
I called BS and considering it was Senior Club Championships said that wasn’t an option.
Old mate insisted and said it was legitimate he had seen it happen in a Penant match.
So my question is what is the correct ruling here?

18.0 by Dec  2019  - 2.0 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Overall Tour Championship Winner*

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

* LoL

#2 Free Drop

Free Drop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:14 PM

Player 2 may ask player 1  to mark their ball. Refer rule 15.3b

Ball Anywhere on Course Interfering with Play

(1) Meaning of Interference by Another Player’s Ball. Interference under this Rule exists when another player’s ball at rest:

• Might interfere with the player’s area of intended stance or area of intended swing,
  • Is on or close to the player’s line of play such that, given the intended stroke, there is a reasonable chance the player’s ball in motion could hit that ball, or
  • Is close enough to distract the player in making the stroke.

(2) When Relief Is Allowed from Interfering Ball. If a player reasonably believes that another player’s ball anywhere on the course might interfere with the player’s own play:

• The player may require the other player to mark the spot and lift the ball (see Rule 14.1), and the ball must not be cleaned (except when lifted from the putting green under Rule 13.1b) and must be replaced on its original spot (see Rule 14.2).
  • If the other player does not mark the spot before lifting the ball or cleans the lifted ball when not allowed, he or she gets one penalty stroke.
  • In stroke play only, a player required to lift his or her ball under this Rule may play first instead.

#3 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16314 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:48 PM

So player 1 should have played first as it was a stroke round?

18.0 by Dec  2019  - 2.0 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Overall Tour Championship Winner*

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

* LoL

#4 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:30 PM

No.  He has the choice of playing first or marking and lifting.

#5 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:56 AM

• In stroke play only, a player required to lift his or her ball under this Rule may play first instead.

#6 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1716 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:26 AM

Had an interesting one today.
Two players were just off the front of the green and wanted to go the Texas Wedge.
Player 1 was almost directly in front of player 2 in line with the flag and player 2 was disappointed their putting line was blocked.I suggested that they let player 1 putt on first as an alternative.
My marker then said that player 1 could mark their ball and let player 2 have a clear putt as both had elected to “putt” for their next strokes.
I called BS and considering it was Senior Club Championships said that wasn’t an option.
Old mate insisted and said it was legitimate he had seen it happen in a Penant match.
So my question is what is the correct ruling here?

Of course it can be marked so player 2 could putt, just think about it logically.

Do you think its right that essentially a player can be stymied by another players ball?  

Alternatively, what it two balls were 1cm apart 100m out on the fairway? I imagine you'd have no issue with one of the balls being marked and lifted so the other player could take their shot?

| GolfLink 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users