jinx666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 November 2020 - 09:35 AM

Hi Guys

Moving to north east Melbourne in the next 6 month and am going to need a new golf course.

Interested in thoughts on membership base and how course is generally maintained and hold up in bad weather. I will have practice round at each before decision but some things are hard to know from one or two rounds.

Possible courses;

Eastern

Heritage

Yering Meadows

Gardiner Run

Roseanna 

Heidelberg

Yarrambat

For background 35 year old, float between 14-17 handicap. In short, once a week hack. 

Thanks

• iRON MiCK likes this

#2 Hypergolf

Hypergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 04:39 AM

Hi Guys

Moving to north east Melbourne in the next 6 month and am going to need a new golf course.

Interested in thoughts on membership base and how course is generally maintained and hold up in bad weather. I will have practice round at each before decision but some things are hard to know from one or two rounds.

Possible courses;

Eastern

Heritage

Yering Meadows

Gardiner Run

Roseanna 

Heidelberg

Yarrambat

For background 35 year old, float between 14-17 handicap. In short, once a week hack. 

Thanks

I live in the Northeast and have been a member at Eastern for about 2 years but looking for a new club to move to for the following reasons:

1. During summer about 6 weeks are unplayable due to extreme fly infestation from combination of cow farms surrounding the course in addition to all the kangaroo turd scattered everywhere around the course. Members usually swallow 2 to 3 a year. No joke.

2. One of the staff there (Scott B ) is an unpleasant character who is infamously known to be rude and arrogant. Several members have left specifically because of this person and there is no use complaining to the management as the manager of the course (Ben) are very close friends with Scott B. Pretty much if you complain to the management it will flow into Scott B's ears. You pay membership to enjoy golf, not deal with unsavoury people who will ruin your mood.

3. Boring course. Basically hit as far as you can off the tee with a driver and that is pretty much it. 

4. They are getting arrogant in general as they have been taking away members from surrounding clubs and cashed up but the committee are making the wrong decisions and keeping incapable people like the ones mentioned above. 

Other courses in consideration and my impressions are:

Heritage - There is a new GM who just got there so give it a few months before you consider. But from the sounds of it, they are heading for towards the wrong direction as they plan to increase the membership fee when their course conditions are in a terrible shape. If this is the case I would stay away from this course. Membership is down to around 300 people from what I hear. Fly issues here as well but not as bad as Eastern.

Yering Meadows - If you are looking for a cheaper course to join without frills, this might be your answer. Course layout is quite interesting and challenging and facilities are clean as well. Only downside is that the course maintenance is not up to standard for such a great course. However, fairway and putting greens are in decent condition. Just anything other than that are not maintained much. A lot of the course maintenance people are volunteers. I personally think Yering is the best option in Yarra area. Semi-private as public can make bookings there. Healthy amount of members and been increasing - roughly around 800 financial members currently.

Gardiner's Run - Easy course so you might get bored after a few months. Flies quite bad here as well. Cheaper fees.

Rosanna - Depending where you live in the Northeast, an interesting and challenging course to consider. They have introductory membership as well so you can always try it before joining. Very tight and friendly members and welcoming environment. The coach also recently won Australian coach of the year if you are after lessons. Only downside is their maintenance is not up to standard for the amount you pay and the driving range is short. I can only use up to 7 iron. Other than this, a good option.

Heidleberg - A fantastic course which is semi-private. Public can make bookings to play there so if this doesn't bother you then a good course to consider as well. I was especially impressed with their putting green. Rolls true and good maintenance. Fairway is better than average and course layout is quite challenging and interesting as well. Good and friendly sports shop staff there. If you don't mind some ugly holes with pylons coming into play, I would give this course a good consideration.

Yarrambat - Only went for driving range so can't really comment on the course itself but if not mistaken they are public course and gets really crowded during the weekend. Also depending where you live, can be a bit far away due to traffic jam around that area. Didn't really wow me when I visited there though.

Hope this helps and let us know how you go!

Edited by Hypergolf, 16 March 2021 - 04:56 AM.

#3 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16317 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 22 March 2021 - 11:44 AM

I play at Gardiners. Easily the best option for some one who is around a 17-18 Handicap.
Flies are not an issue.
I hope you have signed up as a vast majority of Heritage Members have recently moved across.
We might be full by now.

18.0 by Dec  2019  - 2.0 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Overall Tour Championship Winner*

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

* LoL

#4 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3943 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 03:39 PM

I agree with IM, Gardiners would be a great place to start !

• iRON MiCK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users