• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Free Drop

Free Drop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:46 PM

Yesterday our club held a stableford competition.

Several groups had completed the 18 hole event when the rain hit. A couple of groups completed in the rain and a number of groups walked off the course leaving several unplayed holes.

The committee did not suspend play.

One group sheltered in the club house for more than 10 minutes and then completed the remaining 4 holes. I believe this group were disqualified (rule 5.7a).

The players who did not complete the 18 holes were scored as the number of stableford points recorded on their card. Should there have been an allowance for the unplayed holes? I can’t find any info on this.

I would appreciate comments.

#2 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:00 PM

The WHS would seem to make provision for this (although we in the UK don't start until next month).

See Rule 3 in the Rules of Handicapping.

I can't find an Australian version but try here:-

https://www.my-golf....capping-manual/

#3 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3340 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:22 PM

To disqualify the players who sheltered in the club house is unfair because they had not left the course as such but sometimes committees get it wrong and probably expect players to shelter under trees or similar.

If you don’t finish the round your score for completed holes is what goes in for the day.

• Turfers Paradise likes this

#4 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:02 PM

To disqualify the players who sheltered in the club house is unfair because they had not left the course as such but sometimes committees get it wrong and probably expect players to shelter under trees or similar.

Whether sheltering under a tree or in the clubhouse make no difference. Rain of itself is not an allowed reason.

If a player stops play for any reason not allowed under this Rule or fails to report to the Committee when required to do so, the player is disqualified.

• languid likes this

#5 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:04 PM

If you don’t finish the round your score for completed holes is what goes in for the day.

Depending on how many holes were completed (at least 10 or at least 14), WHS Rule 3 will handle the scores for handicap calculation purposes.

#6 Free Drop

Free Drop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:31 AM

Many thanks for that information AAA

#7 rulie

rulie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:33 AM

Whether sheltering under a tree or in the clubhouse make no difference. Rain of itself is not an allowed reason.

If a player stops play for any reason not allowed under this Rule or fails to report to the Committee when required to do so, the player is disqualified.

Tough call to make if everyone in the field takes some shelter for 10 minutes while a heavy rain squall passes over.  Would taking shelter under umbrellas for a few minutes while on a tee be the same dq?  "Stopping play" is not well defined in the Rules; in fact, Interpretation 5.7a/1 talks about "temporary delays" being covered by Rule 5.6a (Unreasonable Delay) and that an example of where a Committee is  likely  (not must) to dq a player for stopping play would be when a player takes shelter from rain for a significant amount of time (significant is not defined).

It's up to the Committee in charge of the competition to decide if the length of time players took shelter is significant enough to warrant dq or just unreasonable delay.

Edited by rulie, 19 October 2020 - 09:44 AM.

#8 rulie

rulie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:11 AM

For reference, here is Interpretation 5.7a/1,

5.7a/1 – When a Player Has Stopped Play

Stopping play in the context of Rule 5.7a can either be an intentional act by the player or it can be a delay long enough to constitute stopping. Temporary delays, whether reasonable or unreasonable, are covered by Rule 5.6a (Unreasonable Delay).

Examples where the Committee is likely to disqualify a player under Rule 5.7a for stopping play include when:

• The player walks off the course in frustration with no intent to return.

• The player stops in the clubhouse after nine holes for an extended time to watch television or to have lunch when the Committee has not allowed for this.

• The player takes shelter from rain for a significant amount of time.

#9 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:38 AM

I notice “more than ten minutes” sheltering in the Clubhouse.
It would also take time to leave the Course and return.
Without knowing the specifics my instinct is DQ was appropriate. Without danger from lightning it is just tough if the weather gets unpleasant.
It is possible in the event of a sustained heavy downpour some greens might be unplayable for a while.
If that is the case it is up to the players who interrupt play to report the facts to the Committee.
I doubt there were Unplayable greens.

#10 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3340 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:39 PM

I guess the most appropriate thing to do is shelter under the trees with the umbrella up and if the heavy rain only lasts 10 minutes then complete the round and notify the committee Of your actions and see what happens.

#11 Free Drop

Free Drop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:21 PM

I agree with the decision to disqualify the players. This subject of disqualification for sheltering from rain is controversial and it was the subject of some 80 odd posts on another site.

https://forums.golf-...om-rain.106261/

#12 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3936 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:52 PM

Discontinuing the playing of a round of golf has to make sense re the rules. Unless the committee stops play for whatever the reason, you must not stop playing for any unreasonable amount of time. Poor playing conditions ( rain, wind etc. ) are not in themselves an acceptable reason to suspend play and could constitute disqualification...

Personally I've been caught in several tropical downpours and on every occasion have been able to take shelter because of the imminent threat of lightning in the vicinity, using the rules to my advantage...

#13 OBE

OBE

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 10:38 AM

I was interested to hear about players taking a break because of rain, back in 2014 I was working as an official at the Australian Amateur Championships, we had players from thirteen different countries including one from Russia, it was one of the hottest weeks ever in Adelaide, up to 44c, we only called them in once because of the heat and just for good measure due to lightning on Tuesday afternoon.

The following is a piece I wrote for our club newsletter.

I had a semi final to referee on Saturday which was to be Minji Lee from Fremantle and Luna Sobron from Spain, due to Ms Sobrons quarter final match going to five extra holes we changed the playing order to enable her to have a rest before her semi final. I went down to the first tee to introduce myself to the new players in my group, Jenny Lee from Glenelg I knew and I looked around for her opponent and it turned out to be a very young fifteen year old from Queensland, named Karis Davidson, Karis also had a fifteen year old caddie. Over the next twenty holes I watched some of the best golf you could imagine, Jenny was a very unlucky looser as her opponent pitched her ball into the hole for eagle on the 6th and 8th and for birdie on the 16th. Karis went down to Minjee in the final but watch for her in the future she is quite a talent. Minjee has a plus eight handicap and at seventeen has just completed school and will now be able to devote more time to her golf! 

• languid likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users