• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bhole

Bhole

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:37 PM

Played in a comp involving 12 mates with a few dollars at stake. The winner had 37 points and next best was 35. A few days later after some research  the winner had some concerns about a free drop he was given off a defined path. The ball had come to rest on the right hand side of the path which was lined both sides by heavy rough (Barnbougle). Being a left hander he had no stance and a limited swing so dropped the ball on the path where he had a swing. He went on to score 2 stableford points on the hole. We have determined that he had to take full relief from the cart path, but are unsure what the penalty is.

#2 rulie

rulie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 11:19 PM

Playing from a wrong place = general penalty, two strokes in stroke play or loss of hole in match play. 

• Bhole likes this

#3 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2100 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:29 AM

The answer to your question is given in Rule 3.3b (3).
Not in Player’s Edition but in Rules of Golf, Official Guide to the Rules of Golf. Also available on line R & A (or USGA).
I’m on iPad so can’t simply add the link.

When you read it the clear answer is in the final bullet Point in Exception. A kind of exception to the EXCEPTION.

The conclusion is The Committee should disqualify the player.

Your Committee might be full of mercy and just knock off 2 points.

Edited by languid, 28 August 2020 - 11:31 AM.

#4 Bhole

Bhole

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 01:19 PM

I am the committee and I win if I disqualify him. Tough position

#5 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2100 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 01:35 PM

Was it reasonable for him to talk to the Committee before he returned his card? Caesar would do a “thumbs down”, the crowd would be happy and that would be the end of it.
Seeing this is not the Coloseum you might invite three others who finished well down the list to hear the facts and help you decide.
You might also or instead advise the 37 pointer of the Rules facts and see how he handles it.
Very best wishes.
  • Bhole likes this

#6 Bhole

Bhole

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:50 PM

Thank you. The 37 pointer does play as if he is in the Coloseum

#7 rulie

rulie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 12:15 PM

If you are the Committee, you need to make the decision according to the Rules and regardless of personal outcomes.  If the player has incurred a two stroke penalty that he or she did not know about, then the two penalty strokes must be added to his or her score as per the Exception to Rule Rule 3.3b(3).  Then it's let the chips fall where they may.  Don't involve anyone but the Committee in the final decision - other than the Committee gathering relevant information from the others. 

Following the Rules will provide the correct outcome.  After all, the Terms of the Competition probably begin with, "Play is governed by the Rules of Golf ....".

Edited by rulie, 29 August 2020 - 12:17 PM.

• Bhole likes this

#8 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2100 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 02:02 PM

There will not be Terms of Competition I expect. This event was among mates. 

The Committee of one has a vested interested in the outcome. 

That is the reason I was suggesting alternatives. 

Our winning gladiator would probably  fall on his sword when confronted with the Rules facts. He brought the matter to the attention of the Committee although not immediately.

You might all chip in $2 each and buy him a copy of The Official Guide to the Rules of Golf. A gift for the gracious way he accepts his Disqualification. 

Available online from The Nile if I remember for about $40 delivered.  

#9 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3313 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:44 PM

There will not be Terms of Competition I expect. This event was among mates. 

The Committee of one has a vested interested in the outcome. 

That is the reason I was suggesting alternatives. 

Our winning gladiator would probably  fall on his sword when confronted with the Rules facts. He brought the matter to the attention of the Committee although not immediately.

You might all chip in $2 each and buy him a copy of The Official Guide to the Rules of Golf. A gift for the gracious way he accepts his Disqualification. 

Available online from The Nile if I remember for about $40 delivered.  

Doesn't Golf Australia issue them free to all club members? The R&A certainly do here.

#10 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2100 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 09:27 PM

That’s the Players Edition. The Official Guide ....is the big book with everything. Interpretations , the lot.

#11 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3313 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 04:50 AM

That’s the Players Edition. The Official Guide ....is the big book with everything. Interpretations , the lot.

Of course.

#12 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:50 PM

My club gave to me Rules of Golf (the real one) when I asked for it.
That was in addition to the Player's Edition.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#13 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 04:25 PM

Played in a comp involving 12 mates with a few dollars at stake. The winner had 37 points and next best was 35. A few days later after some research  the winner had some concerns about a free drop he was given off a defined path. The ball had come to rest on the right hand side of the path which was lined both sides by heavy rough (Barnbougle). Being a left hander he had no stance and a limited swing so dropped the ball on the path where he had a swing. He went on to score 2 stableford points on the hole. We have determined that he had to take full relief from the cart path, but are unsure what the penalty is.

Isnt the rule that the competition has been closed and so the results should stand.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#14 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3943 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 12:38 AM

Firstly you would have to determine the nearest point of relief, regardless of him being left or right handed. Then he has to get full relief from the path, it doesn't matter that he would have to drop the ball into the bushes on the right hand side of the pathway being a left hander, as long as he got full relief, it's a free drop !

He gets a club length from that spot either way and in a semi circle behind that point.

He could get relief as an unplayable but that would cost him a stroke but open up his options, of where to drop.  

If he had been given these options then he probably would have hit it off the pathway ! 

• Bhole likes this

#15 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:24 AM

Firstly you would have to determine the nearest point of relief, regardless of him being left or right handed. 

There will be different points of relief for a left and a right hander. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users