2 replies to this topic

#1 Neurotic

Neurotic

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 09:20 PM

Hi all,

I know this is asked a bit, and no one can know others games, but I’m a tad lost. Heading to a few shops tomorrow and just want a little forehand knowledge.

I had a bad injury in 2006 but before that had been playing golf since I was 5 so about 17 years give or take, recently I’ve come back and loving it.

I picked up a cheap set of clubs with the intention of using them for a few years then giving them to my son we are both pretty tall 192cm/193cm.

It was the Callaway warbird set consisting of,

- 460cc Oversize Driver
- #3 Fairway Wood
- #3 Hybrid club
- Irons 4 iron through Sand Wedge Perimeter weighted oversize design with a low centre of gravity
- Odyssey Dual Force 330 Mallet Putter

Now my game is far from good nor perfect but I’m having a blast fixing things as I go and getting better, but here’s where I’m lost.

I have 11 clubs, my chipping game needs work, pitching wedge feels a bit thick, sand wedge well outside of sand I’m not really using it.

Do I look a lob and gap wedge to help with that, the other train of thought is I always and I came back to find no one really does it, use a pure 2 iron, I see some use 3 but not 2. I rarely touch hybrids but have to change that over the next few months.

Or do I just do what everyone does add a new beast of a driver?

Like I said, it’s hard to offer advice given I should know my game, and will speak to professionals tomorrow but any advice appreciated

Thankyou

#2 Guy_nn

Guy_nn

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 06:50 PM

If you are looking for something new and high quality for playing golf, check out the review of mallet pullets here https://golf-hook.com/reviews/best-mallet-putters-2018/.

A very convenient and useful site for choosing a good golf tools. When I want to renew my clubs or other golf tools so often their opinion helps me. Good luck!  :)

#3 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:49 AM

Hi all,

I know this is asked a bit, and no one can know others games, but I’m a tad lost. Heading to a few shops tomorrow and just want a little forehand knowledge.

I had a bad injury in 2006 but before that had been playing golf since I was 5 so about 17 years give or take, recently I’ve come back and loving it.

I picked up a cheap set of clubs with the intention of using them for a few years then giving them to my son we are both pretty tall 192cm/193cm.

It was the Callaway warbird set consisting of,

- 460cc Oversize Driver
- #3 Fairway Wood
- #3 Hybrid club
- Irons 4 iron through Sand Wedge Perimeter weighted oversize design with a low centre of gravity
- Odyssey Dual Force 330 Mallet Putter

Now my game is far from good nor perfect but I’m having a blast fixing things as I go and getting better, but here’s where I’m lost.

I have 11 clubs, my chipping game needs work, pitching wedge feels a bit thick, sand wedge well outside of sand I’m not really using it.

Do I look a lob and gap wedge to help with that, the other train of thought is I always and I came back to find no one really does it, use a pure 2 iron, I see some use 3 but not 2. I rarely touch hybrids but have to change that over the next few months.

Or do I just do what everyone does add a new beast of a driver?

Like I said, it’s hard to offer advice given I should know my game, and will speak to professionals tomorrow but any advice appreciated

Thankyou

I would look at where your deficiencies are in your game  and look at how an extra club will help.

1) Off the tee? Can you land the ball in play with Driver or 3W? If not , try the 3 Hybrid or maybe consider adding  2 Driving iron.

2) second shot off the deck. Can you play the 3 W well? If you can ,great. If you can't try the 3 Hybrid or maybe look at a 17-18 degree Fairway wood ( 4-5 W) .  The goal of these clubs is to get the ball within 100-150 m of the green so you can use your irons to get it on the green.

3) Under 100m ; You said your chipping wasn't great. What are you using? 8,9, PW, ?  Perhaps one of those dedicated chipping wedges might help. They work!  Closer to the green I like to use my 50 degree GW to get it on the green and roll up to the hole, rather thn try and fly it high with SW or LW. I use LW only when I have put myself in a short sided position, or I need to chip over a bunker. 

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users