#1 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2069 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:48 PM

Rule 6.4b.  

"Starting First Hole. The honour is decided by the order of the draw or, if there is no draw, by agreement or by using a random method (such as tossing a coin).

Starting All Other Holes.

The player in the group with the lowest gross score at a hole has the honour at the next teeing area; the player with the second lowest gross score should play next; and so on.

If two or more players have the same score at a hole, they should play in the same order as at the previous teeing area.

The honour is based on gross scores, even in a handicap competition."

This change was effective January 2019. 

Australia is possibly unique in playing a high proportion of Stableford and Par competitions. That's probably why it got slipped in without fanfare.

This reverses a change introduced in 2008.  

Does it matter? Probably not much.  It does keep the matter consistent across all forms of Stroke play. Another Exception biting the dust. (Exceptions make the Rules harder to learn and follow, the fewer the better.) 

The important practical thing  is that all players get to the next tee promptly to play in correct Order if that is sensible at the time.

By the way  “Ready Golf”   deals with subsequent play of the hole after tee shots. It is covered later in Rule 6.4b. 

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25741 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:55 PM

I missed that in the 2019 update.
6.4b(2) encourages ready golf, so that's the way it's always done nowadays except in match play.

Edited by OldBogey, 29 June 2020 - 05:56 PM.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#3 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3895 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:29 PM

I don't like the players that race to their ball in the fairway and try to play ready golf, while another player then has to wait for them to get out of the way. On the tee it can be a matter of only a few seconds difference waiting for the player with the honour to get set and hit first.

#4 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40060 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:17 AM

Or you could just go straight to the tee, tee off while everyone else does their card, and just get on with it.

But I'm just speculating.

• languid likes this
Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015
Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016
Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball
Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017
Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel
3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals
C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous.....

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#5 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2069 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:01 AM

It’s also reasonable for the card to be filled in after hitting off next tee. Particularly if it’s your honour.

#6 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40060 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:50 AM

I think my point is...regardless of whose "honour" it is - ready golf is still the way to go. If you're there first and can tee off - do it. Or if you're the shortest hitter and can go where maybe the others can't...tee off...a concept I'm familiar with.

I don't know many groups who don't already do that.

• languid likes this
Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015
Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016
Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball
Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017
Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel
3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals
C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous.....

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#7 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2069 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:09 PM

It’s possible to get useful information watching someone play before you.

The Putting Green is where the speed of the green and the breaks are revealed by observation.     

The closer two balls are situated on the green the more likely the first putt gives the next player good information which can assist his putt.   

We have all declined the offer to putt out of turn. “No thanks, do you want my ball marker moved.”

Then we watch that putt with great interest.  

The Teeing Area is quite small. Players tee up within small distances.

The players in a group have plenty to learn from conditions in the landing area. The strength and direction of the wind might be better understood than at the Teeing Area. The closer in ability the players are the more one can learn from observing another player. There are other things. It could be as simple as the chosen Line of Play.

In the General Area similar situations are not so common. More often we have different lines of play, different lies and so on. That’s why Ready Golf is good for subsequent play of the hole.  There is limited “teaching” and good effect on pace of play. 

Flexibility in how the Honour is handled is sensible. However, there are good reasons why the Honour and order of play at the Teeing Area should be observed, where practical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users