#91 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:33 PM

Like Brysons putting technique too, it’s a nice simple stroke. I have just started using that pattern myself recently and it’s showing lots of promise.

#92 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:36 PM

Jack,

I think it is an interesting topic to work out what Bryson is really doing. I think the world of golf will be doing that far more now.

Pretty sure, though, that he is not doing Kopp / Elk.

Devon, I would really like to see a slow mo video analysis of the swing pattern that he is using with his irons. That would be very interesting.

#93 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1310 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:45 PM

Jack,

me too. It won't be long before we see "swing like Bryson" videos and books.

#94 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:51 PM

The biggest difference for Bryson is he hits up 5 degrees with a 5 degree loft driver. He has a very shallow swing. You do need some speed to make this work but it's not just a question of speed. Club golfers couldn't make a 5 degree driver work but they could certainly increase their angle of attack and use a less lofted driver. People often make the mistake of lifting their body to hit up but it's the clubhead that needs to travel up, not your body. De Chambeau keeps his body low through impact.

His irons are extremely upright and perimeter weighted so he barely has to follow through to make the ball go up. I don't know but my guess is they are more lofted. People are obsessed with the one length thing but it's really the basic specs that are so different. 

I agree with Devongolfer that narrowing the fairways and growing the rough makes it easier for the long hitters. Even the most accurate hitter will spend most of the round in the rough. What's the difference between being 1m in the rough and 15m in the rough? Nothing. What's the difference between hitting a 7 iron out of the rough compared to a wedge? A US Open. 

#95 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3940 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:06 AM

The biggest difference for Bryson is he hits up 5 degrees with a 5 degree loft driver. long hitters.

Sorry Madness but it's well documented that his driver has an 8 degree loft which is rotated down to 5.5 degrees via the adaptor.

( this is objective for any movable clubhead because face angle doesn't relate to the loft, either in the open or closed position )

Edited by golfguy33, 23 September 2020 - 01:10 AM.

• madness likes this

#96 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:18 AM

Sorry Madness but it's well documented that his driver has an 8 degree loft which is rotated down to 5.5 degrees via the adaptor.

( this is objective for any movable clubhead because face angle doesn't relate to the loft, either in the open or closed position )

So it's 2.5 degrees open?

From my experience with adjustable drivers the more open the face the more I can hit up. Jason Day did the same thing years ago. He had a 10.5 adjusted to 9.5 so he could hit up.

#97 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3940 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:16 PM

So it's 2.5 degrees open?

From my experience with adjustable drivers the more open the face the more I can hit up. Jason Day did the same thing years ago. He had a 10.5 adjusted to 9.5 so he could hit up.

Yep that's the way it works, negative setting opens the face !

• madness likes this

#98 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:35 PM

Yep that's the way it works, negative setting opens the face !

whats your opinion golfguy to curb the grip and smash type game should they change the ball? limit the clubs, grow the rough like hay, tree line every fairway or water down each side.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#99 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1310 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:13 PM

This "what to do about Bryson?" topic interests me, so I went to the uspga website and did a stats comparison between Rory and Bryson.

They were 12 shots and 12 places apart. For what "strokes gained" analysis is worth:

Rory beat Bryson by 1.5 shots off the tee
Bryson beat Rory by 6.5 shots on approach, 6 around the green and 1 putting.

Ignoring the small differences, the headline is that Bryson stuffed Rory with his approach play and around the green.

If that is in any way representative, Rory won't close the gap on Bryson by bulking up or by tricking up the course. And Bryson would still stuff Rory on approach play and around the green with a de-distanced golf ball.

Looking across the categories, Bryson did well in all four. In my book, that deserves a win.

This reminds me of Tiger. Sure, he hit the ball a long way due to his impressive physique, but that distracted attention from the strengths he had in all the other areas of the game.

The USGA claim that they want to identify the best golfer. Imo, they succeeded.
  • Jack_Golfer likes this

#100 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:53 PM

And devon Bryson will continue to win. good on him he won a major.

Some courses will suit his style of play and others will not.

He won by 6 shots, every one else was over par.

lets see how he is in the masters.

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

#101 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1310 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:30 PM

Great question, Bogey. Will Bryson adapt his strategy for the Masters or try the same plan as the US open?

Going back to Tiger, once again. There was a British Open a while back that Tiger won. I forget the details, but the relevant point to this discussion was the course was infamous for its bunkers. Players would often have no option but to play out backwards.

In this Open, basically the player who went into the fewest bunkers would likely win. Tiger hit irons off the tee, did not go into a single bunker in four rounds and won.

So, Tiger proved he could adapt to the challenge and come up with a winning strategy. I don't know what a winning strategy for the Masters might be, but I would be surprised if it was the same as the US Open.

Is Bryson a "one trick pony" that has one strategy and wins when the course happens to suit that strategy? Or is he a complete golfer, able to work out and execute different strategies? Like Tiger.

#102 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:31 PM

And devon Bryson will continue to win. good on him he won a major.

Some courses will suit his style of play and others will not.

He won by 6 shots, every one else was over par.

lets see how he is in the masters.

Great question, Bogey. Will Bryson adapt his strategy for the Masters or try the same plan as the US open?

Going back to Tiger, once again. There was a British Open a while back that Tiger won. I forget the details, but the relevant point to this discussion was the course was infamous for its bunkers. Players would often have no option but to play out backwards.

In this Open, basically the player who went into the fewest bunkers would likely win. Tiger hit irons off the tee, did not go into a single bunker in four rounds and won.

So, Tiger proved he could adapt to the challenge and come up with a winning strategy. I don't know what a winning strategy for the Masters might be, but I would be surprised if it was the same as the US Open.

Is Bryson a "one trick pony" that has one strategy and wins when the course happens to suit that strategy? Or is he a complete golfer, able to work out and execute different strategies? Like Tiger.

Augusta is a different course to Winged Foot. Bryson decided that as long as he was on the correct side of the fairway at Winged Foot it didn't matter much if he was in the rough or on the fairway because he could run the ball onto the green. He wasn't necessarily accurate but he was able to find the correct side. Not many greens at Augusta that are easy to run the ball on to and missing a fairway often means laying up. He'll need to play a different game.

#103 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:46 PM

Jack,

me too. It won't be long before we see "swing like Bryson" videos and books.

Its a promoters dream There is also  the range of clubs everyone wants to swing.

Cobra could even promote a range of Bryson brand face masks, just for golfers.

#104 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3940 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:45 PM

Augusta is a different course to Winged Foot. Bryson decided that as long as he was on the correct side of the fairway at Winged Foot it didn't matter much if he was in the rough or on the fairway because he could run the ball onto the green. He wasn't necessarily accurate but he was able to find the correct side. Not many greens at Augusta that are easy to run the ball on to and missing a fairway often means laying up. He'll need to play a different game.

Not necessarily Madmax, Augusta doesn't have the rough but it does have the tall trees that can't be flown over. The majority of holes do have a correct side to favour and give a better angle for approaching the greens. Wide fairways are Bde's advantage with several holes shaping from right to left, although the right hand side of these holes are preferred. The longer hitters have always had a huge advantage unless they are in the tree-lines ( Bubba and Cabrerra excluded )

So I'd expect Bde to have a really big chance if he putts well !   

• madness likes this

#105 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:28 AM

Not necessarily Madmax, Augusta doesn't have the rough but it does have the tall trees that can't be flown over. The majority of holes do have a correct side to favour and give a better angle for approaching the greens. Wide fairways are Bde's advantage with several holes shaping from right to left, although the right hand side of these holes are preferred. The longer hitters have always had a huge advantage unless they are in the tree-lines ( Bubba and Cabrerra excluded )

So I'd expect Bde to have a really big chance if he putts well !   

I wasn't suggesting he couldn't win and agree the course favours his driving shape and putting. But he won't be able to run the ball onto many greens at Augusta so will need to be more selective when he decides to rip it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TGM, Swing mechanics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users