#31 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3824 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:35 PM

Brownie,

you are technically right but I am at a loss as to how else to describe the action. In terms of how it is executed and the resulting finish, hinging describes it very well. 

I guess that I am talking about a special case that occurs because of the square to square swing pattern that I am using. In this instance, a Horizontal Hinge does not lay back and isn’t closing. It doesn’t meant that it’s not a Horizontal Hinge?

In regards to Angle and Vertical hinges, I think that there are timing issues that you may have pinpointed with those hinges.1

1  Horizontal always closing-------NO LAYBACK.....2.angle hinge.......measured layback......3.vertical .... no roll..measured layback...........I try to maintain FLW on all hinges ,..with vertical with layback i set-up with left wrist in very strong position and right hand in weak position which allow flw through stroke.EDIT HERE.....hand position most likely will differ between different stroke types

Edited by BROWNMAN, 01 July 2020 - 07:44 PM.

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#32 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:16 PM

1  Horizontal always closing-------NO LAYBACK.....2.angle hinge.......measured layback......3.vertical .... no roll..measured layback...........I try to maintain FLW on all hinges ,..with vertical with layback i set-up with left wrist in very strong position and right hand in weak position which allow flw through stroke.EDIT HERE.....hand position most likely will differ between different stroke types

I think we agree on the No Layback for Horizontal Hinge. In my swing pattern, the club is not closing at impact as it is already square coming into impact. It closes after impact. 

I was thinking about the Vertical Hinge today, when I was having a warm up, prior to playing. I do actually start to lay back the club, prior to impact, by using right forearm outward rotation. An angle hinge uses a little less outward rotation of the right forearm.

• BROWNMAN likes this

#33 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3824 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:26 PM

Right or wrong,ALL my hinging is hinged at L/ shoulder jack...i have no confusion in my mind

Iam a LEARNER

#34 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:50 PM

Right or wrong,ALL my hinging is hinged at L/ shoulder jack...i have no confusion in my mind

Brownie, I’m not being critical of your swing, I’m just trying to explain how my swing pattern works. I know it is an unconventional swing pattern and so some of the explanation will sound a bit unusual. I hope it makes sense?

#35 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3824 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:47 PM

Brownie, I’m not being critical of your swing, I’m just trying to explain how my swing pattern works. I know it is an unconventional swing pattern and so some of the explanation will sound a bit unusual. I hope it makes sense?

Nah,I never took it that way mate at all,...i tried the square to square,went ok but loss of distance,but pretty straight..cheers mate

• Jack_Golfer likes this
Iam a LEARNER

#36 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:54 PM

Nah,I never took it that way mate at all,...i tried the square to square,went ok but loss of distance,but pretty straight..cheers mate

Two things that I found essential to achieve good distance are, a fully bent right wrist and a pivot driven Horizontal Hinge. Try it 😋

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 01 July 2020 - 09:57 PM.

#37 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3943 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:51 PM

I'm really interested in the different ways to hinge re hitting versus swinging but can't visualize the process and its differences that you are trying to describe. I would enjoy something to look at rather than reading the theories, because I just can't see in my mind what you are describing.
Jon...

#38 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:16 AM

I'm really interested in the different ways to hinge re hitting versus swinging but can't visualize the process and its differences that you are trying to describe. I would enjoy something to look at rather than reading the theories, because I just can't see in my mind what you are describing.
Jon...

Hi Jon,

I will try and find some video for you tomorrow.

Cheers

#39 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:01 AM

OK, here is a video by Tommy Tomasello, kindly supplied by Brownie. Unfortunately, like most of the golf instruction videos on Youtube, he shows you what it is but not how to do it. I will see if I can find some more.

#40 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3824 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:46 AM

OK, here is a video by Tommy Tomasello, kindly supplied by Brownie. Unfortunately, like most of the golf instruction videos on Youtube, he shows you what it is but not how to do it. I will see if I can find some more.

Jack,put the hinge in shoulder

• Jack_Golfer likes this
Iam a LEARNER

#41 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:05 PM

Jack,put the hinge in shoulder

You still need the pivot to deliver the Power Package. Look at Tommy, he has a decent pivot with his hitting stroke. Look from 11:19 onwards.

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 02 July 2020 - 08:11 PM.

#42 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3824 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:29 PM

You still need the pivot to deliver the Power Package. Look at Tommy, he has a decent pivot with his hitting stroke. Look from 11:19 onwards.

Reactive pivot maybe?

Iam a LEARNER

#43 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:42 PM

Reactive pivot maybe?

What’s a reactive pivot?

#44 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3824 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:55 PM

What’s a reactive pivot?

we all prolly do it,we stall the pivot so the arms can catch up or link up with pivot.It should be quite a natural feel,not gospel,just my take on it......Tom T starts with weight shift or pressure change then hit starts with r/arm supported by r/shoulder at this point pivot links up with pivot and follow through will carry him through to finish...MY TAKE on it Jack

Iam a LEARNER

#45 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:07 PM

we all prolly do it,we stall the pivot so the arms can catch up or link up with pivot.It should be quite a natural feel,not gospel,just my take on it......Tom T starts with weight shift or pressure change then hit starts with r/arm supported by r/shoulder at this point pivot links up with pivot and follow through will carry him through to finish...MY TAKE on it Jack

It’s an interesting point Brownie, I find that timing is critical with the pivot. Your point about stalling sounds like a timing thing. I don’t believe that it is possible to stall the pivot without losing rhythm. However there is something about the pivot and the arms that is timing dependent but I don’t fully understand it yet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TGM, Swing mechanics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users