147 replies to this topic

#16 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:52 PM

ahhaa, indeed but note that it is a variation.

The advantage of the Horizontal hinge is that there is no hand manipulation of the club face. It enables you to maintain a square to square club face thru impact, while allowing the arms to maintain the club path, down the target line, on follow thru to arms straight.

I was initially using angle hinging but I found it lacked consistency, both in distance and accuracy. With an angle hinge, the arms are naturally forced into an arc on follow thru, an action that I am certain contributed to my tendency to pull shots. The other issue that I found was that angle hinging required hand and hence, club face manipulation, making the stroke extremely timing critical. Something I am not very good at. The result was that sometimes the club was partly laid back not closing, not laid back not closing, not laid back and closing. To many variables for me to manage. The Horizontal hinge is not laid back and not closing and so much easier to manage.

I was going to keep out ,but,its the machinist in me that tells me to come in,lol...I suffered from the lefts for a while,can still clear out left field from time to time.....couple of things i found,1..my address wasnt correct,my shoulder line was set up left..2..run out of right arm (bad pivot)  I always go back to 30-50 mt chip usually pin poits prob dev...i never able to message you..wasnt allowed

Edited by BROWNMAN, 29 June 2020 - 07:57 PM.

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#17 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:56 PM

I was going to keep out ,but,its the machinist in me that tells me to come in,lol...I suffered from the lefts for a while,can still clear out left field from time to time.....couple of things i found,1..my address wasnt correct,my shoulder line was set up left..2..run out of right arm (bad pivot)  I always go back to 30-50 mt chip usually pin poits prob dev...i never able to mess you..wasnt allowed

Brownie, what kind of hinge do you use?

#18 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:06 PM

In the main,i use angle

Iam a LEARNER

#19 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:17 PM

i do enjoy using all hinges with hitting,my main focus point when hitting is to make my swing bottom 4"under turf

Iam a LEARNER

#20 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:51 PM

In the main,i use angle

Have you find one hinge any more accurate over the other two?

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 29 June 2020 - 08:52 PM.

#21 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:13 PM

yeah,horizontal,

• Jack_Golfer likes this
Iam a LEARNER

#22 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:14 PM

yeah,horizontal,

in saying that,vertical is deadly,hor for distance acc

• Jack_Golfer likes this
Iam a LEARNER

#23 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:56 PM

I guess the obvious question is, why use angle if the other two are better? 

#24 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:09 PM

I guess the obvious question is, why use angle if the other two are better? 

There are various reasons,just a couple come to mind,1...if you need a ball to spin left to right...2...height...3 oob on left,angle will fade off oob line

Iam a LEARNER

#25 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:23 PM

There are various reasons,just a couple come to mind,1...if you need a ball to spin left to right...2...height...3 oob on left,angle will fade off oob line

They would be exceptions rather than the rule? With horizontal accuracy, I wouldn’t be even thinking about OOB.

#26 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:40 AM

That may also depend on confidence and competence in tight situation,hoz could be over the fence whereas angle will slide left to right,another way to put it may be it up to individual ,you can toss scenarios around all night,best way imo to test it is to test your personal feel out when opportunity arises in real game.

• Jack_Golfer likes this
Iam a LEARNER

#27 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:11 AM

I very important point about using a Horizontal Hinge in a square to square hitting action is that it maintains the line of compression, thru impact, by default. It maintains the line of compression because there is no angular movement of the club face. I am sure that this is also the reason for the improved accuracy that am achieving with this swing pattern.

One of the satisfying side effects of this stroke is the solid sound one gets from the impact. Nothing better than that solid clean clunk.

#28 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:13 PM

Just to clarify my previous post regarding hinging. Because of the square to square swing pattern, the way hinging is used is different to a normal swinging pattern. When I refer to hinging with my pattern, I refer to the resulting position of the club at arms straight. So for a horizontal hinge, the club finishes with the club face vertical to the ground and facing the horizon. An angle hinge finishes at an angle to the ground and a vertical hinge ends up with the club face facing the sky.

The hinging action shouldn’t start until after impact with a square to square stroke but timing can be difficult with vertical and angle hinges. This is because those two hinges require some hand action, where as a horizontal hinge is purely pivot driven.

I guess the hinging that I am describing could be considered a delayed hinge as it happens after impact, 

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 30 June 2020 - 02:29 PM.

#29 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:32 PM

Just to clarify my previous post regarding hinging. Because of the square to square swing pattern, the way hinging is used is different to a normal swinging pattern. When I refer to hinging with my pattern, I refer to the resulting position of the club at arms straight. So for a horizontal hinge, the club finishes with the club face vertical to the ground and facing the horizon. An angle hinge finishes at an angle to the ground and a vertical hinge ends up with the club face facing the sky.

The hinging action shouldn’t start until after impact with a square to square stroke but timing can be difficult with vertical and angle hinges. This is because those two hinges require some hand action, where as a horizontal hinge is purely pivot driven.

I guess the hinging that I am describing could be considered a delayed hinge as it happens after impact, 

Jack,sorry ,I have to disagree,If the "HINGE" hasnt happened at impact.....it hasnt happened?

Iam a LEARNER

#30 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:50 PM

Jack,sorry ,I have to disagree,If the "HINGE" hasnt happened at impact.....it hasnt happened?

Brownie,

you are technically right but I am at a loss as to how else to describe the action. In terms of how it is executed and the resulting finish, hinging describes it very well. 

I guess that I am talking about a special case that occurs because of the square to square swing pattern that I am using. In this instance, a Horizontal Hinge does not lay back and isn’t closing. It doesn’t meant that it’s not a Horizontal Hinge?

In regards to Angle and Vertical hinges, I think that there are timing issues that you may have pinpointed with those hinges.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TGM, Swing mechanics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users