146 replies to this topic

#136 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3824 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 08:41 PM

A little Ditty from Tony Jacklin to Peter Croker                                                                                                                                 If you think you are beaten--you are                                                                                                                               If you think you dare not--you dont                                                                                                                                 If you would like to win,But you think you cannot                                                                                                             It is almost certain you wont                                                                                                                                             If you think you will lose,you have lost                                                                                                                             For out in the world you will find                                                                                                                                       Success begins in a fellows will                                                                                                                                       Its all in a state of mind                                                                                                                                                   Lifes battles dont always go                                                                                                                                             To the stronger or faster man                                                                                                                                           But sooner or later the man that wins                                                                                                                             Is someone who thinks he can.

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#137 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:03 AM

THE ABOVE POST IS THE WORDS FROM PAUL HART..........DART........NOT MINE

Brownie,

Just so much in that Post, have been going over and over the detail, trying to suck the marrow out. 

Thanks for posting.

#138 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3824 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 10:28 PM

boo

Iam a LEARNER

#139 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:52 AM

boo

boo..boo..boo.boo...boo.....boo.........boo...........boo........................boo 

#140 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3824 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:18 AM

boo..boo..boo.boo...boo.....boo.........boo...........boo........................boo 

Bwaahaa...are you as bored as I am lol........isolation.....not so much covid as the weather...I dont do rain lol

Iam a LEARNER

#141 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1339 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:44 PM

Just to cheer you guys up, we are having a heatwave.  Too hot for golf for me.

I have been on a bit of a golfing journey this year.  Different levels.

So, you can study physics, mechanics etc like Homer.  But you might question that on two fronts.  First, our bodies are nothing like Homer's machine.  Second, the physics only works like the theory if you are uncompensated.  

So, biomechanics.  I found EA Tischler very good, different bio mechanical choices, try to make choices to fit your own body, like a tailored suit.  

But then there is our mind, but which I mean our instinctive hand eye coordination.  Mike Malaska talks about "the task".  The task might be to hit a nail with a hammer, walk upstairs, whatever.  In a golfing context, it is this aspect of who we are that does all the compensating.  This is why we don't miss the ball.  This is why we can actually play golf.  

So, you could analyse and optimise golf around physics, around biomechanics or around working with your natural hand eye coordination.  Imo, the best route is to start with getting the Task optimised, then maybe a bit of biomechanics, leaving physics until the end once you are largely uncompensated.  

So, what is my Task?  Well, you can pull the club, push the club, throw the club, swing the club.  Perhaps more options.  Then the question becomes:  which of these options does my brain do best?  For me, the answer seems to be:  pull the club.  I can pull with the upper body; heave and hold off.  I can pull with my lower body, Mindy.  I can pull with left or both hands.  But all of them play better, for me, than throwing, pushing, swinging etc.  

So, pulling is my fundamental choice, now I am getting into the next level of keeping the face square to the path, grip posture etc etc.  

All the best.  

• Jack_Golfer likes this

#142 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1339 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:21 PM

As soon as I had posted that, something else occurred to me.  Many many years ago, I used to play a half decent game of table tennis aka ping pong.  

Backhand was easy, my strength.  Forehand always felt awkward.  

Forehand and backhand both improved with playing and practice, but I never lost that sense that I was better at backhand.  

Old school coaching would say "improve your weaknesses, work on your forehand".  More modern coaching might say "play to your strengths, work on your backhand even more".

Thinking about golf as a kid, you just do whatever feels right.  But then books, articles, lessons nearly always steer you down one path or another.  I don't think you can tell by looking at someone whether they are pulling, pushing, throwing, swinging etc, it is a feel that only the player senses.  So, what if the lessons are a mismatch to your natural strengths or instincts?  

You can see where my thinking on this is going, so I will stop here.  

• BROWNMAN and Jack_Golfer like this

#143 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:48 PM

Hi Dev,

good to see that you are still working on improving your game. I was wondering, how hot is too hot, to play at Saunton? 35C is my limit. Problem here at the moment is all the rain we are having. I can't remember having to cancel so many rounds due to the rain. If its not one thing, its usually another..LOL.

Have been having some success with my hitting pattern, accuracy is improving, week by week. Still have a number of stuff ups, usually early in the round as my stiff old muscles, gradually loosen up. I don't have time to go to the club early and hit a bucket of balls before hand. I usually rock up, check in at the pro shop, then get on the first tee.

I have given up on books for the time being, I am just working from basics and trying to understand what my natural flaws are. Its my inability to perform a consistent pivot that is the major cause for my inconsistent swing. My posture has never been great, it depends on how long since my last visit to my chiropractor.

The main thing for me at the moment, is the enjoyment that I get playing and the respite that it gives me from my care duties at home. Golf is a great way get stress relief, without the alcohol or drugs.

• BROWNMAN and Devongolfer like this

#144 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3824 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:54 PM

Fantastic to see you both on the forum,i dont know how this forum is still open,but i will still support it.....I too find the "practice " stress relief,only hit them no more than 20 yds,i practice on a sand scrape,so its fairly easy to watch the spin.......in between dodging the raindrops lol...we all here know the relationship with left and right hands,ie...if the left wrist is flat,the right wrist has to be bent and visa versa,physics and all that,looking looking looking when going through the hands motions in a slow manner,one can see where we actually "lose " our accuracy from time to time and dont realise we are doing what we are doing.   If we have a real close slow look at our hand action critically,we sometimes c.ck the right wrist where in fact we should be reverse rolling  r/forearm which keeps r/wrist bent through the swing/hit...and keeping this action in place in order on d/swing,whilst this brings the unit (hands) back to correct position at impact ie.......the right wrist is supplying the line of compression ensuring it stays on that line until swing goes through to both arms straight on the way to stroke end.........Deep isnt it

• Jack_Golfer likes this
Iam a LEARNER

#145 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:07 AM

Fantastic to see you both on the forum,i dont know how this forum is still open,but i will still support it.....I too find the "practice " stress relief,only hit them no more than 20 yds,i practice on a sand scrape,so its fairly easy to watch the spin.......in between dodging the raindrops lol...we all here know the relationship with left and right hands,ie...if the left wrist is flat,the right wrist has to be bent and visa versa,physics and all that,looking looking looking when going through the hands motions in a slow manner,one can see where we actually "lose " our accuracy from time to time and dont realise we are doing what we are doing.   If we have a real close slow look at our hand action critically,we sometimes c.ck the right wrist where in fact we should be reverse rolling  r/forearm which keeps r/wrist bent through the swing/hit...and keeping this action in place in order on d/swing,whilst this brings the unit (hands) back to correct position at impact ie.......the right wrist is supplying the line of compression ensuring it stays on that line until swing goes through to both arms straight on the way to stroke end.........Deep isnt it

Oh yes, beware of the right wrist double c0ck. Took me some time to realise that flaw, can be so subtle. One of my key discoveries was finding a way to load up on the backswing, in such a way as to ensure no double c0ck.

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 21 July 2021 - 01:10 AM.

#146 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3824 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:16 AM

Oh yes, beware of the right wrist double c0ck. Took me some time to realise that flaw, can be so subtle. One of my key discoveries was finding a way to load up on the backswing, in such a way as to ensure no double c0ck.

Whew,I sometimes read my posts back to myself,I hope other people can decipher them

Iam a LEARNER

#147 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:22 AM

Golf is undergoing a boom not experienced since the Greg Norman era, with 253,000 more Australians taking up the sport during the pandemic as participation in organised team sports declined.

Tee times at golf clubs are booked out, club memberships are up by 5 per cent and retailers are reporting three-month delays for customised golf clubs and shortages of some golf balls.

Read the full story here.  

https://www.theage.c...623-p583jr.html  

Certainly finding it harder to get a tee time at my club, everyone around here suddenly wants to play golf! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TGM, Swing mechanics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users