#1 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2578 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:01 PM

Within TGM, there are two types of swings. There is Swinging and then there is Hitting. Most golfers swing but there are a few of us who hit. One of the main differences between these two swings is that Swinging is a centric type swing that relies on centrifugal and centripetal forces for club release. Hitting is a non centric swing and does not use those forces for the club to release. Consequently a swinging club has an arc of approach to the ball, whereas, a hitting stroke has an angle of approach to the ball.

One of the features of hitting is the advantage of being able to hold the club face, square to the target line, during the backswing and down swing, into impact. A characteristic that enables better accuracy over an open to shut action used in a Swinging action.

The journey to perfecting my hitting mechanics has been long and at time, demoralizing. This is largely due to the fact that so little instruction is dedicated to hitting. Consequently, I have had to perfect my hitting mechanics, through trial and error. 

I’m starting this thread in the hope that it may promote some more interest in hitting and provide an  avenue for golfers to find out more about it. It is a great way to hit the ball and I recommend that golfers have a go at using it.

I am not a trained golfing coach and have no golfing credentials, other than learning how to hit thru the school of hard knocks. There must be some value in what I have learnt, along the way. Please feel free to ask questions.

• Devongolfer likes this

#2 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 03:34 PM

Jack,

have you found any decent instruction on hitting, anywhere?

#3 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2578 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:12 PM

Jack,

have you found any decent instruction on hitting, anywhere?

No I haven’t Dev, at least not in the purest form. They tend to be a bit like Hardy and his RIT which I class as derivatives of Hitting. If you want to learn about true hitting, you are pretty much on your own.

#4 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:37 PM

Ok, Jack,

what do you find the hardest thing to do, when hitting?

#5 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2578 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:53 PM

Timing/rhythm. I feel I have all the actions identified correctly, its just getting the sequence of actions in their correct timing slots. I am still at a stage where I am thinking my shots and not relying on subconscious memory. I just need to keep doing it over and over and over again. 

#6 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2578 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:13 PM

In regards to the most difficult action to identify, I will give you a clue....its to do with Hinging.

#7 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 03:44 PM

Jack,

so, how would you explain hitting to a swinger?

#8 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2578 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:53 PM

Jack,

so, how would you explain hitting to a swinger?

Where do I start Dev, I could write a book on it. 

To start with, a swinger needs to understand that the club path is back and forth along the target line, not around the torso. The pivot and arm action, need to be adapted to achieve that end. The forearm action is such as to keep the club face square to the target line, on the backswing and downswing, into impact.

I think that should be enough to keep a swinger busy for a while. Once they have perfected that, we can go on to the next step.

#9 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:17 PM

Where do I start Dev, I could write a book on it. 

To start with, a swinger needs to understand that the club path is back and forth along the target line, not around the torso. The pivot and arm action, need to be adapted to achieve that end. The forearm action is such as to keep the club face square to the target line, on the backswing and downswing, into impact.

I think that should be enough to keep a swinger busy for a while. Once they have perfected that, we can go on to the next step.

Ima keeping out of this one,i hope you 2 guys are ok

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#10 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:22 PM

jack,looks like dev has blocked me ?

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#11 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:55 PM

Hi Brownie, ???

Jack, have you found that when hitting, there is a tendency to hit the odd one straight left?

If so, what do you focus on to keep the lefts under control?

#12 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2578 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:51 PM

Hi Brownie, ???

Jack, have you found that when hitting, there is a tendency to hit the odd one straight left?

If so, what do you focus on to keep the lefts under control?

It’s all in the Hinging Dev. It is essential that you use a Horizontal Hinge when hitting. Any other will result in loss of distance an accuracy. As you know, Horizontal Hinging is largely pivot driven.

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 28 June 2020 - 11:56 PM.

#13 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:25 AM

Jack,

ahh, but 12-1-0 item 10 says C Angled Hingeing

Well, you started it!
  • BROWNMAN likes this

#14 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:27 AM

Jack,

BTW, I really don't mind either way, whatever works for you. My approach to hitting is to use a super strong left hand grip rather than worry about Hingeing.

#15 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2578 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:34 AM

Jack,

ahh, but 12-1-0 item 10 says C Angled Hingeing

Well, you started it!

ahhaa, indeed but note that it is a variation.

The advantage of the Horizontal hinge is that there is no hand manipulation of the club face. It enables you to maintain a square to square club face thru impact, while allowing the arms to maintain the club path, down the target line, on follow thru to arms straight.

I was initially using angle hinging but I found it lacked consistency, both in distance and accuracy. With an angle hinge, the arms are naturally forced into an arc on follow thru, an action that I am certain contributed to my tendency to pull shots. The other issue that I found was that angle hinging required hand and hence, club face manipulation, making the stroke extremely timing critical. Something I am not very good at. The result was that sometimes the club was partly laid back not closing, not laid back not closing, not laid back and closing. To many variables for me to manage. The Horizontal hinge is not laid back and not closing and so much easier to manage.

• Devongolfer likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TGM, Swing mechanics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users