• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 izzato

izzato

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:19 PM

Hi! I recently moved to Melbourne for work and thought I'd pick up a new sport - so why not Golf!

Golf History:

• Dad plays golf, so I thought this would be a good way to kind of connect.
  • Attended 2 golf clinics. Basic knowledge really.
  • Short/Long game: utterly atrocious.
  • That's pretty much it, skill level : Novice / Beginner

Goals:

• Buy golf clubs. ✔ Bought some secondhand Wilson Staff clubs.
  • Play a round - 9 hole minimum!
  • Join a social club / find some golf buddies

One of the best things about golf is that it can be an individual sport but I am genuinely too anxious to start on my own.

I feel like I need a fellow golfers to guide and play a round and explain to me the golf etiquette.

The clinics taught me several basics but none of them were ON the actual course itself - just on the side driving range and short game area. And 1-on-1 on course classes are expensive - $250-400 a session.

Or maybe some like-minded, new-ish, similar skill level, patient players, who's up for a round and learn together!

If anyone's keen to play / help out, do let me know - happy to throw in a meat pie. & If not, stay tuned - I'll post updates on my journey for the curious.

Anyway, happy to meet all of you!

#2 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:48 PM

Welcome to the forum. 

I live too far away to organize a game with you; sorry. it is a good idea to ask around your local golf course to see if they can help get a few social games in to learn the ropes. Perhaps approach any old blokes you see hanging around for a game, explaining that you are a novice.

There is a " advice for learners " thread somewhere on this forum.

Wilson Staff clubs ; good choice!

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#3 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10094 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:03 PM

Hi! I recently moved to Melbourne for work and thought I'd pick up a new sport - so why not Golf!

Golf History:

• Dad plays golf, so I thought this would be a good way to kind of connect.
  • Attended 2 golf clinics. Basic knowledge really.
  • Short/Long game: utterly atrocious.
  • That's pretty much it, skill level : Novice / Beginner

Goals:

• Buy golf clubs. ✔ Bought some secondhand Wilson Staff clubs.
  • Play a round - 9 hole minimum!
  • Join a social club / find some golf buddies

One of the best things about golf is that it can be an individual sport but I am genuinely too anxious to start on my own.

I feel like I need a fellow golfers to guide and play a round and explain to me the golf etiquette.

The clinics taught me several basics but none of them were ON the actual course itself - just on the side driving range and short game area. And 1-on-1 on course classes are expensive - $250-400 a session.

Or maybe some like-minded, new-ish, similar skill level, patient players, who's up for a round and learn together!

If anyone's keen to play / help out, do let me know - happy to throw in a meat pie. & If not, stay tuned - I'll post updates on my journey for the curious.

Anyway, happy to meet all of you!

given your location if you go to Albert park golf course, that is public access, as is Burnely golf club they will get you on with other players, so you will meet new people.

that will get you out hitting ball and playing the game. dont worry where ball goes its about having fun, and it will take you a little time to learn the game.

ask at your work bound to be someone who plays who can take you out for a game.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#4 izzato

izzato

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 04:11 PM

Just booked 18 holes for this Saturday 3:22pm at Albert Park. Genuinely, first ever full game of golf. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a single soul to join me; so looks like I'm flying solo!

Wish me luck!

#5 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10094 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:29 AM

Just booked 18 holes for this Saturday 3:22pm at Albert Park. Genuinely, first ever full game of golf. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a single soul to join me; so looks like I'm flying solo!

Wish me luck!

iszzato:

it gets dark at 5.00pm.

generally takes 4 to 4.5 hours to complete 18 holes, so you may not get 18 holes completed in 1.5 hrs,especially if you are learning and hitting balls all over place and loosing them and looking for them. 

In the 1.5 hrs you have before dark will be lucky only complete 9 holes.

go on have fun any way. dont worry about your score just hit ball and enjoy the experience.

Edited by Bogey Golfer, 26 June 2020 - 07:30 AM.

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

#6 izzato

izzato

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:55 AM

Uh oh. Then guess I'll just do the Back 9 then.

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25741 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:44 AM

You mentioned CBD, do you have a car? If not, you'll want to stick to nearby public courses that won't cost a fortune in taxi fares.

Saturday is 'club' day at most courses and getting a booking could prove difficult. But you want to get some golfing experience under your belt first, before joining a club.

On the other hand, you should get some professional lessons before you embed too many swing faults that will need correcting.

There are a number of public courses handy to the city. Albert Park, Royal Park (near the zoo), Westgate (under the bridge). They all have clubs associated with them for when you are ready. Most clubs readily accept novices and tolerate their incompetence.

Welcome to the game.
  • Bogey Golfer likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#8 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3895 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:09 PM

You mentioned CBD, do you have a car? If not, you'll want to stick to nearby public courses that won't cost a fortune in taxi fares.

Cost might be a factor in the pensioner realm but cost isn't in the real world !

On the other hand, you should get some professional lessons before you embed too many swing faults that will need correcting.

And your last lesson was, when, with whom and how much did you fork out ???

Giving poor advice is a real problem on the net...

Welcome to the game.

#9 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10094 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 12:56 AM

Cost might be a factor in the pensioner realm but cost isn't in the real world !

And your last lesson was, when, with whom and how much did you fork out ???

Giving poor advice is a real problem on the net...

Welcome to the game.

Golfing guy

I think old bogey was  suggesting to our new golfer izzato that at some point, early on he should get some lessons to help his understanding of the game of golf and learn to hit the ball in the air and a little distance down fairway with some degree of reason ability at a range like Albert park driving range and make ready to go on the course.

Then start off on easy courses, learn to get ball around course, playing on course will learn etiquette of being a golfer and playing the game of golf

When was my last lesson ?. thanks for asking, two weeks ago with the supercoach.

Izzato 

go down to Albert park and book in for a series of lessons with a golf coach, 

Notice i said a series of lessons as this will help you understand what you are trying to do when you hit the ball.

Also Izzarto, take a trip down to Oakleigh with your clubs and go and see golfguy 33, he will give your golf equipment a quick check up. ( would you start learning to ride a bike that had gears set for a professional rider or could learn bad riding habits to compensate).

above all enjoy golf, its a wonderful game.

Edited by Bogey Golfer, 27 June 2020 - 12:56 AM.

#10 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:38 PM

How did you go??

#11 izzato

izzato

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:55 PM

Post first game ever - Front 9 at Albert Park. Got paired with 3 other guys.

My score:

Hole 1 - Par 4 : 8 Strokes
Hole 2 - 3 : 3 (Par!)
Hole 3 - 4 : 7
Hole 4 - 4 : 10 (lost my ball up)
Hole 5 - 4 : 7
Hole 6 - 5 : 8
Hole 7 - 5 : 10 (picked up ball - falling behind)
Hole 8 - 3 : 5
Hole 9 - 5 : 10 (got too dark, lost ball after second hit)

My experience:

Honestly, I did not enjoy it at all. Not because of the score but the experience.

The whole time I felt rushed - chasing the group I was with, chasing the sun, and being chased by the group behind.

The group I played with were casual players, honestly not too dissimilar in skill level but they were just keen to keep moving. I suggested to let the next group go ahead but they decided not to. Few times they just continued with their stroke, eventhough I was clearly behind.

By Hole 5, I felt like I wasn't even focused. Just hitting to keep pace. Eventually just picked it up in 7 because I didn't want to be an inconvenience.

It is a shame because I genuinely enjoyed at the start. Maybe going solo wasn't such a great idea, should've partnered with someone more patient I suppose.

Post-game analysis:

Back to taking lessons and keep working on my short game. Don't think I'll be back on the course any time soon.

Edited by izzato, 02 July 2020 - 07:57 PM.

• izzato likes this

#12 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10094 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:14 AM

sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your game. Not every game will be like that but, unfortunately there will be times when you play with golfers who are fast, others who are slow, it part of the experience and not something you can control.

probably the late tee off time didn't help you. also on crowded public courses people are learning as well and they take time, so be mindful of other players.

there are many things to learn about golf and the only way to learn is to play on course, things such as etiquette, such as when to mark card, where to stand, hit when ready instead of waiting all these things about golf.

as a guide you should do 9 holes in 2 hours, and 18 in 4hr to 4hr 15 min.

also no need to play out every hole to the maximum as you have done.

once you are Par +3 ie 6 on a par 3, 7 on a par 4, 8 on a par 5 just pick up. this will speed up play as well.

also to hit ball, go to range and start with sw, hit that and get 4 in a row in air, then hit 9, then 8 , 7, 6 . find the club you can hit in the air every time,

once you have found this club, this is what you use off tee and fwy for majority of shots all way round, until you learn better skills.

do you only have weekends to play or can you play during week.?

Edited by Bogey Golfer, 03 July 2020 - 12:15 AM.

#13 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:46 PM

Post first game ever - Front 9 at Albert Park. Got paired with 3 other guys.

My score:

Hole 1 - Par 4 : 8 Strokes
Hole 2 - 3 : 3 (Par!)
Hole 3 - 4 : 7
Hole 4 - 4 : 10 (lost my ball up)
Hole 5 - 4 : 7
Hole 6 - 5 : 8
Hole 7 - 5 : 10 (picked up ball - falling behind)
Hole 8 - 3 : 5
Hole 9 - 5 : 10 (got too dark, lost ball after second hit)

My experience:

Honestly, I did not enjoy it at all. Not because of the score but the experience.

The whole time I felt rushed - chasing the group I was with, chasing the sun, and being chased by the group behind.

The group I played with were casual players, honestly not too dissimilar in skill level but they were just keen to keep moving. I suggested to let the next group go ahead but they decided not to. Few times they just continued with their stroke, eventhough I was clearly behind.

By Hole 5, I felt like I wasn't even focused. Just hitting to keep pace. Eventually just picked it up in 7 because I didn't want to be an inconvenience.

It is a shame because I genuinely enjoyed at the start. Maybe going solo wasn't such a great idea, should've partnered with someone more patient I suppose.

Post-game analysis:

Back to taking lessons and keep working on my short game. Don't think I'll be back on the course any time soon.

Don't let that put you off the game. Etiquette is something not everyone knows and can take a while to learn. Completely know that feeling of who you play with affecting your experience. 

Do you have any mates you can try organise some games with while you are learning mite help with the comfort level? As suggested above go to the driving range and work on set up and general swing a few times a week and then hit the course again and see how you feel! 

#14 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:44 PM

Maybe you need to find golfers with a similar ability to yours. Then you won't feel as if you are having to rush to keep up. 

Also play a few rounds by yourself, but do it as if you were playing a game.

One of the best learning experiences I had when learning was playing with senior players. Some of them were in their 80s but still enjoyed their golf. They were pretty good at playing straight down the fairway with a low flat 150-160 m shot, chip it on the green and putt.They outscored me easily.

The moral of the story is to get good at chipping and putting. Then develop a  reliable go to shot for 150-160 m ( ? hybrid)  and use it as your tee shot and for the second shot.  Leave the Driver for later when you can control it.

You will be surprised how well you will play in this fashion and score well too. Add the fancy shots later when you can do them 7/10 times.

• Bogey Golfer likes this

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#15 izzato

izzato

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:21 PM

Appreciate all the reassuring comments and advice. I'll reply as a general rather than specific to each reply.

I would absolutely love to play with other similarly level as myself but unfortunately met no reply when asked anywhere - Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, even here. Being new to Melbourne, I knew no one that plays golf either.

I would love to learn more on golf etiquette (or golf in general) and even someone to help guide/teach me on the course but again, no replies. I did initially wanted to go by myself but weekend at Albert Park is just packed, so I had no choice and got paired with those guy - which all things considered, were nice fellows. Slow player etiquette is something I wish someone had taught.

Speaking of teaching/guides, I have attended more golf clinics but they've all been mostly on the Driving Range and Putting greens teaching fundamentals which I agree are important but it's a general information really. 

1-on-1 classes are out of my budget, $250-400 per class is outside my financial reach. It would be great to play with more patient senior players and hopefully I will stumble on some who would. Especially with the restrictions now to 2 players per group, maybe I'll get lucky - if I ever get the courage to go back on the course again.

After that game, I've been going to the driving range mostly. Practising my swing, striving to be consistent, and as on target as I can be really. Spent significant of my time on the short game area, chipping is by far my biggest weakness. I'm pretty descent with Irons and maybe that's why I'm not as horrible on Par 3s.

Anyways, I really do enjoy golf but boy is it difficult to find like-minded/skilled people to play with. I'll post more when gain the confidence to go back on the course for Round2!

Thanks for reading! Stay safe out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users