7 replies to this topic

#1 Adam_H

Adam_H

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:40 PM

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a duplicate thread but not that familiar with the site!

I have recently moved to Melbourne from Ireland and I am looking at joining a golf club here. The good thing is it looks like there are loads to choose from, but also means trying to narrow it down is quite difficult!

HCP is 12 and so far only played Burnley/Albert Park, which I didn’t think were great (particularly Burnley!). Not sure if that is reflective of all public courses or just those two.

Ideally don’t want to spend a fortune on a joining fee as will probably be returning back home a few years down the line but don’t mind paying a bit more for a good quality course (ideally by monthly direct debit). One problem is that I won’t have anyone to propose/second my applications, so any new member incentives you are aware of would be great. Currently based in Richmond, but happy to drive ~20 mins.

Any and all suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers

Adam

#2 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:53 PM

Adam

lots of options available, depends how much you want to pay and even if dont want to join an actual club you can join virtual social groups like Social Golf Australia and The Social Golf club, (check out both web sites) who provide you with a handicap and they play events all around Melbourne, or RACV. Depends how many games you are going to paly in a year, as some of the strictly members only clubs will cost you up to $5000 per year. (expensive) and others on sand belt like Royal , Victoria Kingston heath, are so hard to get into its not worth it.

depends how far you want to travel for golf, lots to choose from within 45 minutes of you.

before you make up your mind go and play some of them.

near you on west side is Kooringal, Sunshine, North your have growling frog, Northern

out east there are lots, Heidelberg, Latrobe, Keysborough, Southern, Spring Valley. Rossdale, Patterson River (all will cost you around $3000 to $3500 per year)

a number of guys on here are embers of clubs and can give you a game

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#3 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:29 PM

Spring valley can highly recommend

#4 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3935 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:20 PM

That you join another club, other than them ?

#5 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:14 AM

That you join another club, other than them ?

Best if Adam goes to all these clubs and play them himself before making decision.

Edited by Bogey Golfer, 26 June 2020 - 07:15 AM.

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

#6 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3935 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:58 PM

Best if Adam goes to all these clubs and play them himself before making decision.

I agree but he needs to know the facts about the clubs that are not financial too !

#7 Adam_H

Adam_H

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:36 PM

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. Although tough to tell whether Spring Valley is a good or bad option based on the discussion! Maybe a bit too far from me anyway.

Really appreciate all the suggestions for courses to play and welcome any more that people might have!

Cheers

#8 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:23 AM

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. Although tough to tell whether Spring Valley is a good or bad option based on the discussion! Maybe a bit too far from me anyway.

Really appreciate all the suggestions for courses to play and welcome any more that people might have!

Cheers

If want to play some real golf courses which are vastly different to Burnley and Albert park

and remind you of home,(links style)  take a trip or several trips down the peninsula (1 hrs drive ) to play the following courses:  The dunes, St Andrews beach, Moonah (both courses) Flinders, Cape Schank  portsea.

if go other side of the bay down Geelong way(1hours drive ) you can play 13th beach, Barwon Heads, Curlewis.

All these courses mentioned are great in winter as they are dry. take your warm weather gear as they are all subject to cold winds off ocean.

(actually take your warm wind cheater jacket, even in summer the breeze get chilly)

As an aside some the boys on here are getting together in August to play Cape Schank. you are most welcome to join us, send me a pm if want to play

good golfing

Edited by Bogey Golfer, 27 June 2020 - 02:30 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Melbourne, Membership, Golf club, New member, Golf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users