#1 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1715 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:04 AM

So witnessed this happen last weekend and was asked what the ruling was. As far as I could tell, the stroke would count (as it did for Sendon a few years back). This was overruled by a committee member when we made the turn and the direction was the stroke did not count. 

I don't believe this scenario is covered specifically in the rules at all so the ruling i went by was the intent to make a stroke at the ball. 

I believe i am correct but always nice to get opinions on these tricky ones.

Am i also correct in understanding that as per rule 6.2b (6) the player could have lifted and reteed his ball anywhere inside the teeing ground before he played his "2nd" shot?

(6) When Ball in Play Lies in Teeing Area. If the player’s ball in play is in the teeing area after a stroke (such as a teed ball after a stroke that missed the ball) or after taking relief, the player may:

• Lift or move the ball without penalty (see Rule 9.4b, Exception 1), and
  • Play that ball or another ball from anywhere in the teeing area from a tee or the ground under (2), including playing the ball as it lies. 

| GolfLink 

#2 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:40 AM

The Rules do indeed cover this event.  You'll find the information you need in the Definition of a stroke. 

https://www.randa.or...ns#definition-S

We don't have enough  information to determined if a stroke was made. We need to know whether  the clubhead separated from the shaft and if so did this happen in the backswing or downswing.  We also need to know if the player continued the downswing or stopped it before reaching the ball or deliberately stopped it whether with the broken but still in one piece club or with the shaft after the separation of the clubhead.

Whatever happened, whether a stroke or not,  if the ball was in the teeing area afterwards  it could be placed anywhere in the teeing area  and re-teed if wished.

Edited by ColinCL, 30 May 2020 - 01:42 AM.

• Monty85 likes this

#3 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1715 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 31 May 2020 - 09:57 PM

The Rules do indeed cover this event.  You'll find the information you need in the Definition of a stroke. 

https://www.randa.or...ns#definition-S

We don't have enough  information to determined if a stroke was made. We need to know whether  the clubhead separated from the shaft and if so did this happen in the backswing or downswing.  We also need to know if the player continued the downswing or stopped it before reaching the ball or deliberately stopped it whether with the broken but still in one piece club or with the shaft after the separation of the clubhead.

Whatever happened, whether a stroke or not,  if the ball was in the teeing area afterwards  it could be placed anywhere in the teeing area  and re-teed if wished.

Thanks for that. 

So the shaft broke at the start of the downswing in the middle of the grip. The club head bounced on the ground (now separated from the grip) just short of the ball (the ball never moved).

The player made no attempt to stop/check the swing.

| GolfLink 

#4 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:55 PM

That's clear now, Monty.   If you look at the Definition of a stroke and scroll down to Interpretation Stroke/1, the second bulllet tells you your player made a stroke. 

• Monty85 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users