#1 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 03:20 PM

Key point.
When in the General Area you may drop when taking Relief in a Bunker or Penalty Area on to a Putting Green into a No Play Zone or onto a Wrong Green.

The latter two options when taking Back-On-the-Line Relief open up possibilities for a really smart drop.

Taking a Wrong Green. Typically even modest size greens are about 30 metres long and 20 metres wide at maximum width.

No Play Zones which are typically gardens can be very small all the way to huge.

Possible scenario.
Ball in very situation involving a tree.
Lateral Relief is unattractive. So is Stroke-and-Distance. Player elects to take
B-O-t-L Relief he realises a Wrong Green Drop is possible. It has well turfed fringe areas and a drop there can get him 15 metres or so to the left or right of the Line when he takes Relief from WPG.
In the perfect scenario there is some elevation as well.
Result clear Line of Play and elevation working to advantage.
A substantial NPZ could be even more rewarding.
I’ve not done this, or seen it.
I do intend to get out on my home Course soon to see if any practical situations exist.
Interested to hear whether others have possible situations on their Course.

#2 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40058 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 18 May 2020 - 04:33 PM

I thought this was a thread about Elon Musk's new kid.

My bad.

• Weetbix likes this
Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015
Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016
Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball
Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017
Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel
3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals
C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous.....

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#3 rulie

rulie

Suspect

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:59 AM

Key point.
When in the General Area you may drop when taking Relief in a Bunker or Penalty Area on to a Putting Green into a No Play Zone or onto a Wrong Green.

The latter two options when taking Back-On-the-Line Relief open up possibilities for a really smart drop.

Taking a Wrong Green. Typically even modest size greens are about 30 metres long and 20 metres wide at maximum width.

No Play Zones which are typically gardens can be very small all the way to huge.

Possible scenario.
Lateral Relief is unattractive. So is Stroke-and-Distance. Player elects to take
B-O-t-L Relief he realises a Wrong Green Drop is possible. It has well turfed fringe areas and a drop there can get him 15 metres or so to the left or right of the Line when he takes Relief from WPG.
I do intend to get out on my home Course soon to see if any practical situations exist.

Really nothing has changed from the previous Rules - the player has all the same options available, and can deal with the situation(s) in the best way for his next stroke/game.

#4 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:51 AM

True Rulie.
I was trying to show how the Rules can be followed to advantage in an uncommon way.
I think the number of players who would know or think of dropping a ball into a No Play Zone, would be very few.
I guess very few would ever consider dropping on a Wrong Green.
I used the Interpretation to reference these uncommon actions.

#5 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3875 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:21 PM

Possible scenario.

BOtL from the general area gives you 3 options, one club length either side of the point on that line, go back as far as you like ( laterally 2 club lengths)

From a penalty area it gives you 4 options.

I'm not sure how you think that using the BOtL drop could then give you an option to go back onto another green, take the drop and then laterally get relief either side of the wrong green. 

You can only get one club length either side of the point of the drop,

So dropping on the wrong green isn't an option, you'd have to drop on the line or go over the green to the other side...

#6 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:35 PM

My intent was to provide something useful, perhaps interesting to those who visit this Forum.
While there is no change, this Rule (Interpretation) was not obvious being one of the many Decisions that few get to know about. In the 2016/7 Decisions you could work this out by looking at the Decisions on 28/4 and 20-7/3. Not easy.

Interpretation 19.2/2 is clear, not difficult to read.

#7 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:41 PM

golfguy33

here is Interpretation 19.2/2

The first 2 paragraphs are what we are talking about. 

19.2/2
Ball May be Dropped in Any Area of the Course When Taking Unplayable Ball Relief

A player may take relief by dropping a ball into a relief area in any area of the course under the unplayable ball relief options. This includes taking relief from the general area and dropping directly into a bunker or penalty area, onto a putting green, into a no play zone or onto a wrong green.

However, if the player chooses to drop into a no play zone or onto a wrong green, the player must then continue to take the relief required by the Rules from that no play zone or wrong green.

Similarly, if the player chooses to drop in a penalty area and he or she cannot (or does not wish to) play the ball from where it now lies, the only option is to take further relief under penalty of stroke and distance by playing from where the previous stroke was made because:

• Unplayable ball relief may not be taken again as such relief is not allowed when a ball lies in a penalty area.
  • Relief from the penalty area using the back-on-the-line relief option or the lateral relief option may also not be taken, because the ball did not cross the edge of the penalty area before coming to rest and therefore there is no reference point and no way of estimating a reference point for taking such relief.

In taking stroke-and-distance relief, the player will get another one-stroke penalty (in addition to the first penalty stroke for taking unplayable ball relief).

Edited by languid, 19 May 2020 - 02:44 PM.

#8 rulie

rulie

Suspect

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 11:42 PM

BOtL from the general area gives you 3 options, one club length either side of the point on that line, go back as far as you like ( laterally 2 club lengths)

From a penalty area it gives you 4 options.

I'm not sure how you think that using the BOtL drop could then give you an option to go back onto another green, take the drop and then laterally get relief either side of the wrong green. 

You can only get one club length either side of the point of the drop,

So dropping on the wrong green isn't an option, you'd have to drop on the line or go over the green to the other side...

Yes it is; you can drop on a wrong green using b-o-t-l (easier to use "bottle" :) ) but and then you must take relief from the wrong putting green.

#9 akshpatil

akshpatil

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:42 PM

thanks.......

Want to increase your on-line reputation? Buy google region critiques as it's a essential element to showcase your credibility.

buy google 5 star ratings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users