11 replies to this topic

#1 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 10:16 AM

Seeing how Allenby did a fantastic job in trying to defend his title, I thought it would be interesting to view the different opinions on who out of lonard and allenby was having the better season...

Allenby seems to be in a purple patch right now where he can do no wrong. And to top it off...how about an ace from a friendly kick off a mound... :wink:

I think Lonard is still leading aussie on the PGA money list, and if not mistaken, in the world rankings...but my money would be on Allenby to secure a win (either in US or AUS) by year end. Regardless...am an avid fan of both fellas and would like to see them continue their good runs...both deserve wins soon...

huge congrats must to to Leaney (Royal Perth member...way to go... biggrin.gif) 72 holes with only one bogey...very very impressive...

and can anyone stop Anika?!?! And regardless of sex, her result this year justifies that she be awarded the golfer of the year award...

#2 cazandpaul

cazandpaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 04:15 PM

I believe Robert Allenby tops the money list on the PGA Tour for Australians as well as our best world ranked player (Michael Campbell is Australasia's best).

I believe Peter Lonard is having a better season for the fact that this is his rookie year and is playing courses he has never seen before - no missed cuts says it all.

Anyway I don't care who wins as long as it's an Aussie (or maybe a Kiwi) AND NOT TIGER.

Regards

Paul

#3 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 06:51 PM

I guess it really depends on what criteria you use to figure out who is having the better year.

If you're talking merely money earned, then it's got to be Robert Allenby. To date he has made $1,814,817 vs Peter Lonard's $ 1,363,677 (poor fella).

If it's scoring average, then Lonard wins -69.62 vs 70.04

If it's results, Allenby wins. 7 Top 10s from 22 starts (including two 2nds) whereas Lonard has had 4 Top 10s from 20 starts.

I could go on with the stats forever, but ultimately I think both are having great seasons and it's too hard to compare them as one is an experienced PGA Tour player and the other is a rookie.

#4 gooner10

gooner10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 10:05 PM

Lonard is having a better season because his a Rookie, but Allenby is having a top notch season, he will win soon, watch him...

Good win by Leaney, wish I could swing it like him...

Annika's doing what Tigers doing on the PGA Tour...

#5 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 09:12 AM

So...should Anika be awarded Golfer Of The Year 2002??? Or is Tiger a shoo-in...???

Personally, I think Anika should, as she's done so much this year...she's been a more consistent performer, but then again, maybe it's only awarded to male golfers???

I'm not a fan of Anika by the way...Prefer to watch Karrie and SeRi play becoz of their more classical swings...and their more 'down-to-earth' attitude...I think...

#6 cazandpaul

cazandpaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 09:34 PM

Annika should be golfer of the year by a long margin - the results she puts on the board week after week are amazing against quality opposition.

Will she win it - female, not American, female, lower profile, female?

Regards

Paul

#7 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 12:24 AM

Annika should be golfer of the year by a long margin - the results she puts on the board week after week are amazing against quality opposition.

Will she win it - female, not American, female, lower profile, female?

Regards

Paul

Anyone would think you don't think she'll win it Paul because she's female. :wink:

Maybe I'm misreading you post but that's the impression I got. laugh.gif

#8 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 12:45 AM

Annika -8 wins from 17 starts, including 1 major on LPGA Tour. 2 other victories worldwide.

Tiger -4 wins from 15 starts including 2 majors.

Stats say it's Anikka. And Tiger shot that hack-like 81 at the British Open so he doesn't deserve it. laugh.gif

#9 cazandpaul

cazandpaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 03:27 AM

Hindo, I really hope she does win it but we don't get a vote.

Maybe an iseekgolf poll amongst us would reveal the most worthy?

Regards

Paul

#10 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 04:44 AM

Hey guys,
Great topic running...and good to see the Annika getting a mention as she is really on fire!

Throw around a few more names and I will add a poll on to the topic if you like?

Jason

#11 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 07:19 PM

Ernie Els, Hale Irwin (20 Top 10s from 23 starts).

But really I think it's Tiger vs Annika.

#12 raidrboy

raidrboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 07:57 AM

We could keep throwing those names around forever and a day. I would like to see a poll on best player this year, male or female and one for best performed Australasian worldwide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users