32 replies to this topic

#16 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 12:52 AM

In the video you posted the coach says 1 is address, 2 is impact fix and 3 is address with the impact fix. It appears to me the impact fix is a forward press where he regrips the club giving him a stronger grip before feeling the need to return the club to perpendicular to the ground before starting the swing. 

Why not just start at impact fix and make a swing from there?

A lot of mainstream coaching is obsessed with straight lines when they are irrelevant to the result. Why do our feet have to start parallel to the target? Why does our club have to start perpendicular to the ground from a front view?

I always saw Nicklaus as starting with a small forward press in his setup and I think McIlroy does as well.

Jack-Nicklaus-Address.jpg

driver-straight-tips-jack-nicklaus-tiger

I realise club golfers don't move like the best players but they can still start their swing from a desired impact position. This is what I like about Noren and following Noren's method would look different for everyone because he isn't chasing a look. He and his coach are chasing a result. I think the "mainstream" starting position is one of the reasons so many amateurs struggle and that was just something I noticed in the video you posted that looked odd to me. If the impact fix is such a good thing why not just start from there and let it influence everything about the setup?

Most club golfers, if they setup with impact in mind, would look more like Trevino with an open stance and the ball back relative to their feet to allow for their lack of athleticism. 

Inside-Approach-Fade1.gif

Madness,impact fix would put hips in "impact"position,so his hips would be in different position ?,in fact most of his body would be at impact....feet included.....the pics above are simply address positions ,the above pic you show of trevino is open,what was trevinos favoured ball flight,i do believe it was fade

• madness likes this
I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#17 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 01:05 AM

Madness,impact fix would put hips in "impact"position,so his hips would be in different position ?,in fact most of his body would be at impact....feet included.....the pics above are simply address positions ,the above pic you show of trevino is open,what was trevinos favoured ball flight,i do believe it was fade

What he was saying and what he was demonstrating weren't the same thing. The only thing I see the impact fix having an impact on is his grip. At point 3 he goes back to point 1 just with a slightly stronger grip. But my initial point was, why does he need point 1 and point 3? Why can't he address the ball with impact in mind and start the swing with impact in mind. Point 3 mostly looks like it undoes all the good work he did in point 2. Where as Nicklaus and McIlroy look like they are closer to point 2 at address and as they start the swing.

#18 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 01:29 AM

What he was saying and what he was demonstrating weren't the same thing. The only thing I see the impact fix having an impact on is his grip. At point 3 he goes back to point 1 just with a slightly stronger grip. But my initial point was, why does he need point 1 and point 3? Why can't he address the ball with impact in mind and start the swing with impact in mind. Point 3 mostly looks like it undoes all the good work he did in point 2. Where as Nicklaus and McIlroy look like they are closer to point 2 at address and as they start the swing.

Madness,go back to vid 12 sect with furze,have a good long look at his hips as the move from address and impact fix,  his grip doesnt alter,his r/leg and hips move to impact.....cheers

Iam a LEARNER

#19 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:32 AM

Could I suggest that the forward press could be more about engaging Extensor action than anything else. It can be very subtle but it’s there.

• madness likes this

#20 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 11:03 AM

Could I suggest that the forward press could be more about engaging Extensor action than anything else. It can be very subtle but it’s there.

Can be executed anytime after impact fix,a lot of golfers when using forward press usually use their right knee to kick in just to get started without jerky take away,...if starting at I/fix,I would imagine the address position may be somewhat different,the feel of extensor action would be putting downward pressure on shaft below plane,For me,I would prefer EA to be incorporated in my take away,it would assist in turn of my right forearm in take away,but very interesting point JACK.......Im speaking as swinger here btw

• madness likes this
Iam a LEARNER

#21 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 16 April 2020 - 11:40 AM

Can be executed anytime after impact fix,a lot of golfers when using forward press usually use their right knee to kick in just to get started without jerky take away,...if starting at I/fix,I would imagine the address position may be somewhat different,the feel of extensor action would be putting downward pressure on shaft below plane,For me,I would prefer EA to be incorporated in my take away,it would assist in turn of my right forearm in take away,but very interesting point JACK.......Im speaking as swinger here btw

Brownie,

the extensor action is not just the pulling down of the left arm, it’s also the pull back of the left shoulder. Otherwise, you would pull the club below plane.

#22 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 11:59 AM

Brownie,

the extensor action is not just the pulling down of the left arm, it’s also the pull back of the left shoulder. Otherwise, you would pull the club below plane.

you may be correct jack,where did you see that ?

Iam a LEARNER

#23 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 16 April 2020 - 12:33 PM

Discovered thru trial an error but confirmed by another poster who used to be on here (can’t remember name). When you think about it, Extensor is about tensioning the left arm, not extending it. You have to have a solid anchor point to do that.

• madness likes this

#24 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 01:08 PM

Discovered thru trial an error but confirmed by another poster who used to be on here (can’t remember name). When you think about it, Extensor is about tensioning the left arm, not extending it. You have to have a solid anchor point to do that.

Good one jack,the only thing i dont like is tensioning,i would prefer extension,your point is taken though,i found a little clip of Cathy Schmidt talking about extensor (2) G.O.L.F. MAXIMUM EXTENSOR ACTION - YouTube

Iam a LEARNER

#25 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 16 April 2020 - 03:14 PM

Just further to my point, if Impact Fix is about recreating the position at impact, why should it not recreate the forces as well?

• madness likes this

#26 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:07 PM

so,would you dispense with sect 1 and 3?

No, this is only applicable to section 4. It’s the trigger to start my stroke. 

#27 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:34 PM

it is a compensation though,isnt it?......btw..you hitting or swinging here?

Why would it be a compensation? It applies to all swings. I think of it as engaging the gears before I drop the clutch.

#28 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:16 PM

You can do what you say by all means jack,its further along in back swing where it can come undone where the "plane of motion "comes into play......,the wrists are to be in position--

"wrist set" as your going into on plane forearm cocking ,but you have preset far earlier,i dont believe it will be in the correct position plane of motion wise,its this point where it could become a problem,more so for a swinger than a hitter.it is here that you may find that a compensation may have to take place......i do believe homer would have taken all this into account when he sectioned the swing.

Brownie,

I don’t follow what wrist position or preset you are referring to? Is it not ok to start the back swing from mid-position or IF?

#29 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1310 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 12:10 AM

Watching the Noren video reminded me of me.

(Not Noren, the guy in the light blue shirt behind him)
  • madness likes this

#30 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 12:13 AM

Watching the Noren video reminded me of me.

(Not Noren, the guy in the light blue shirt behind him)

ha ha bendy isnt he

Iam a LEARNER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users