Photo

Wind Blows Ball Off Tee And Causes Air Swing.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OLDTOM

OLDTOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:37 PM

Last week on a very windy day my playing partner teed his ball up on a long par 4. He took a swing at the ball with his driver and about a foot from the ball the wind blew the ball off the tee peg and he obviously missed the ball completely.

Ruling?

My opinion was the stroke counts and he plays the ball as it lies.

His opinion was that it was caused by the wind ( it was ) and he re tees the ball with no penalty.

Who was right?

I've looked and can't find anything about the ball being moved by the wind on the "TEEING GROUND"

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25724 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:40 PM

If he was in Victoria, he's up for a big fine for playing golf.
Apart from that, the stroke counts but, as the ball was still in the teeing ground, he may tee it up again.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#3 OLDTOM

OLDTOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

Apart from that, the stroke counts but, as the ball was still in the teeing ground, he may tee it up again.

Not in Victoria, exercising in NSW.

I agree that the stroke counts but once a stroke is played at the ball isn't the ball then "in play" and can't be picked up without penalty?? 

#4 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3875 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:35 AM

Last week on a very windy day my playing partner teed his ball up on a long par 4. He took a swing at the ball with his driver and about a foot from the ball the wind blew the ball off the tee peg and he obviously missed the ball completely.

Ruling?

My opinion was the stroke counts and he plays the ball as it lies.

His opinion was that it was caused by the wind ( it was ) and he re tees the ball with no penalty.

Who was right?

I've looked and can't find anything about the ball being moved by the wind on the "TEEING GROUND"

Once again you've taken the liberty of adding something into the original post that isn't yet substantiated !

Can you show us where he states " that the ball was still inside the teeing ground " as you have quoted ?

#5 OLDTOM

OLDTOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:49 AM

Once again you've taken the liberty of adding something into the original post that isn't yet substantiated !

Can you show us where he states " that the ball was still inside the teeing ground " as you have quoted ?

Just to clarify. The ball dropped backwards off the tee peg and moved about an inch in total. Hope that helps.

#6 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:11 PM

The stroke counts. Definition of Stroke.
It is relevant that the ball remained in the Teeing Area. Rule 6-2b applies. The player may play the ball on the ground or tee the ball anywhere in the Teeing Area.
See the “Full Rules” as The Player’s Edition has a much shortened 6-2b.

Thanks OLDTOM for an interesting question which is quite practical. It wouldn’t happen frequently but it would not be extremely rare either

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25724 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 07 April 2020 - 01:00 PM

You idiot !!!
Unless he was playing in a hurricane (highly unlikely), the wind blowing a golf ball off the tee would have it then sitting just beside the tee.
Bloody obvious.

But as mentioned in the op, the player teed his ball up again. I wanted to mention that it was ok and the reason it was ok.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#8 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2546 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:51 PM

Rule 6.2B is pretty clear about this, the stroke should be counted. There is no penalty and the ball must be played from where it lies.

#9 OLDTOM

OLDTOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 04:18 PM

Rule 6.2B is pretty clear about this, the stroke should be counted. There is no penalty and the ball must be played from where it lies.

That's seems to be correct Jack.  But if the ball remains in the teeing area use Rule 6.2B(6) When a ball lies in the Teeing Area. It can be re-teed, or even moved to a different area of the teeing area or played as it lies.

#10 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2546 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 07 April 2020 - 05:37 PM

That's seems to be correct Jack.  But if the ball remains in the teeing area use Rule 6.2B(6) When a ball lies in the Teeing Area. It can be re-teed, or even moved to a different area of the teeing area or played as it lies.

Yes, you are correct Tom, my mistake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users