43 replies to this topic

#16 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 08:12 PM

I took up golf two months ago. It was exactly what i needed after being forced into retirement from cricket due to injuries.

I just paid a years membership up front about a week before the closures in Victoria.

My logic is that I am not going to ask for a refund unless I become financially desperate.

I must confess it does frustrate me that bottle shops which are small, enclosed and sell unhealthy products are considered essential. Golf courses aren't essential I admit but they are certainly healthy and very safe compared to small enclosed spaces.

I can't see golf courses in Victoria staying closed for six months. Eventually it will dawn on the Government that although not essential they are safe. 

Does anyone else have a view on this?

The governments main concern at this point in time is civil obedience. I'm not being flippant. There would be many people who wouldn't handle not having alcohol. Sad but true. There are many closet alcoholics who use it as a supressant.

#17 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:19 PM

The governments main concern at this point in time is civil obedience. I'm not being flippant. There would be many people who wouldn't handle not having alcohol. Sad but true. There are many closet alcoholics who use it as a supressant.

100% right, in the nanny state we can't be trusted.  In other states they are being trusted, whether they should or shouldn't be is a moot point.

• Francie, Goldy and madness like this

#18 westy5555

westy5555

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:24 PM

Private clubs in Perth are open, albeit under very tight rules (the courses that is, not the clubhouses). The argument is that people need exercise.  Good on them

Public courses are not, presumably as the rules cannot be enforced to the same degree of strictness as with a membership

#19 Crankyscott

Crankyscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 03:28 PM

People need exercise? Whats the hitting of a white ball got to do with that?

#20 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25727 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:09 PM

People need exercise? Whats the hitting of a white ball got to do with that?

It's not a workout like at a gym, but it is exercise.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#21 westy5555

westy5555

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:09 PM

Well most wouldn't walk 10km carrying 25kg of equipment if there wasn't a bit of ball hitting to be had.  Incentives

#22 Crankyscott

Crankyscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:29 PM

It's not a workout like at a gym, but it is exercise.

What's the essential part of it though? The walk. Walk around your neighbourhood. Walk around a golf course if that is in your neighbourhood. Get home as soon as you are done. That's the guidance from the government, at least in Victoria. They want people in their homes, rightly or wrongly. Exercise is an exception, but it needs to be an efficient form of exercise.

#23 westy5555

westy5555

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:12 PM

Perth not as badly affected but Im sure the decisions were taken very carefully in line with state government guidance. Only play two balls, only social so no cards, rakes removed, cup liners lifted up so balls dont go in, social distancing, no shaking hands, locker room closed, over 70s told to stay away etc etc

Clubs arent making any money as club house is shut and no guests allowed, but it does as much as possible remove the risk of members cancelling their memberships if they can still get a hit, and to do it in a way that presents no more risk than a walk around the park

#24 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25727 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:44 PM

What's the essential part of it though? The walk. Walk around your neighbourhood. Walk around a golf course if that is in your neighbourhood. Get home as soon as you are done. That's the guidance from the government, at least in Victoria. They want people in their homes, rightly or wrongly. Exercise is an exception, but it needs to be an efficient form of exercise.

There is no requirement for the exercise to be efficient. Walking is acceptable.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#25 Crankyscott

Crankyscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:49 PM

There is no requirement for the exercise to be efficient. Walking is acceptable.

Walking fine, but walking and playing golf is not efficient nor is it acceptable in Victoria.
Golf is not exercise. The walking whilst playing golf is the exercise. Beats me why this is so difficult to understand.

Edited by Crankyscott, 06 April 2020 - 06:58 PM.

• Lukos87 likes this

#26 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:39 PM

Walking fine, but walking and playing golf is not efficient nor is it acceptable in Victoria.
Golf is not exercise. The walking whilst playing golf is the exercise. Beats me why this is so difficult to understand.

It's the inconsistencies that give people the shits. You're going to infect more people running around the tan than walking around a golf course.

#27 Crankyscott

Crankyscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:49 PM

It's the inconsistencies that give people the shits. You're going to infect more people running around the tan than walking around a golf course.

That's a totally different argument to "golf is my exercise" and I know you haven't been pushing that line in this thread but people just need to get over it in my view. The government had to draw the line, they drew it at pure exercise in the outdoors, not games with incidental exercise. Theoretically the safest game is tennis right? Each player has their own balls to serve with, no changing of ends (or change ends on different sides of the court). You would be no closer than 2m at any time. But it's too complicated to make rules for every single activity and life function.
  • madness likes this

#28 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:22 PM

That's a totally different argument to "golf is my exercise" and I know you haven't been pushing that line in this thread but people just need to get over it in my view. The government had to draw the line, they drew it at pure exercise in the outdoors, not games with incidental exercise. Theoretically the safest game is tennis right? Each player has their own balls to serve with, no changing of ends (or change ends on different sides of the court). You would be no closer than 2m at any time. But it's too complicated to make rules for every single activity and life function.

I don't understand why you can still walk into KFC or Maccas? Not essential. Again something that would create more infections than golf in twos or ones.

I would also like to see some National consistency. Golf in Albury but not Wodonga!

#29 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 11:03 PM

Most clubs will be gone after this..

Never to reopen..

We can bet there will be NO help from GA that's for sure..
Any free $'s they get will go straight into their elite golf wankathons meanwhile the average club is dead..

& while i'm at it

FIX THE HANDY CAP App    NOW!

Why do you think there will be an avalanche of members cashing in. I’d personally doubt that. Unless they’re paying the GM like he’s ceo of comm bank and they’re paying rent like it’s the top floor of 101 Collins st then I’d suggest the worst you’ll see is the course looking a little unkempt on return . That’s a few weeks of hard work , no problem , stop being hysterical
  • OldBogey likes this

#30 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3883 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:43 AM

I don't understand why you can still walk into KFC or Maccas? Not essential. Again something that would create more infections than golf in twos or ones.

I would also like to see some National consistency. Golf in Albury but not Wodonga!

Isn't Albury and Wodonga separated by the Murray river, which is the border between Victoria and New Cockroach Ville ? 

• madness likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users