37 replies to this topic

#16 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3883 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:25 PM

Job Keeper should help with this, particularly if clubs and greens staff can come to mutual arrangements about reduced hours and wages temporarily if that's needed by the club to avoid layoffs

Clubs budget 12 months in advance, so it should only depend on when the financial year ends.

They have the majority of fees paid in advance and could be able to make the money last for atleast a few months without asking for a handout.

Reducing the staffing levels is one way to cut costs but will the GM and admin section do the right thing and stand down first ?

#17 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25727 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:24 PM

Clubs budget 12 months in advance, so it should only depend on when the financial year ends.
They have the majority of fees paid in advance and could be able to make the money last for atleast a few months without asking for a handout.
Reducing the staffing levels is one way to cut costs but will the GM and admin section do the right thing and stand down first ?

The current environment has destroyed all budget plans, for this year at least.
The job keeper system provides funds to employers to keep staff on the payroll even if they don't have any work for them to do, in lieu of standing them down. It's also available to sole props such as yourself.

As for management, if they stood themselves down first, there'd be no-one to stand down 'lesser' employees. Management will still be needed when things start returning to normal, whenever that might be.

It's tough times for many but should be short lived compared to the depression and world wars. Other parts of the world have had tough times for decades. This is still the 'lucky country'.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#18 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10049 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:45 PM

PostCoVid (PCV)  we might see clubs sadly go under .

those who do survive might look reduce down the courses to 9 or 12 holes to reduce maintenance costs, and get some capital into club.

may also only open 1 or 2 days mid week 

Clubs might merge and or share equipment with other neighbouring clubs.

memberships structures will change, to more flexible as people work from home / multi club membership and / PAYG systems.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#19 keithblake

keithblake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:12 PM

I am in Sydney and received an email yesterday (31/03/20) saying club was closed indefinitely..

Then this morning had another saying its open again, comp was cancelled today but on again from Thursday 2/04/20

Flags have to stay in, no rakes in bunkers and only two per group. Clubhouse closed but bistro open for takeaway..

#20 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10049 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:14 PM

I am in Sydney and received an email yesterday (31/03/20) saying club was closed indefinitely..

Then this morning had another saying its open again, comp was cancelled today but on again from Thursday 2/04/20

Flags have to stay in, no rakes in bunkers and only two per group. Clubhouse closed but bistro open for takeaway..

its very strange how the health department in Sydney, (where Covid cases are high), has determined that their is less risk playing golf, compared with the Vic health department who is saying golf is a risk so close courses.

come on health departments get together and agree so we can start playing again

Has Golf NSW gone against the directive from Golf Australia

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#21 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3883 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:12 PM

The current environment has destroyed all budget plans, for this year at least.
The job keeper system provides funds to employers to keep staff on the payroll even if they don't have any work for them to do, in lieu of standing them down. It's also available to sole props such as yourself.

You've missed the point, again !

What's left of this year is still under the clubs current budget, so stop saying that they are broke and going downhill fast, it's just not true. 

It isn't the correct information because all clubs still have something up their sleeves re monies before the end of their financial year.

its very strange how the health department in Sydney, (where Covid cases are high), has determined that their is less risk playing golf, compared with the Vic health department who is saying golf is a risk so close courses.

come on health departments get together and agree so we can start playing again

Has Golf NSW gone against the directive from Golf Australia

Interestingly there is one small local 9 hole, council owned and operated course that hasn't closed and has been running as usual since the directive from GA :(

#22 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25727 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:32 AM

You've missed the point, again !

What's left of this year is still under the clubs current budget, so stop saying that they are broke and going downhill fast, it's just not true. 
It isn't the correct information because all clubs still have something up their sleeves re monies before the end of their financial year.

Interestingly there is one small local 9 hole, council owned and operated course that hasn't closed and has been running as usual since the directive from GA :(

You've missed the point, Jon. A budget is a plan, an expectation, not dollars in the bank.
I didn't say anything about clubs going downhill fast. Their position depends on what financial resources they have and what their current expenditure is. Without any customers providing funds, all expenditure reduces their financial nett position. Government subsidies will help counter that and may reduce their 'downhill rate'.

When a club's financial year ends is completely irrelevant. That's just a date on which future reporting of the financial position is based so that one may compare various years' results. Budget plans are usually expressed in relation to financial years to indicate whether the expected position at the end of the next FY will be stronger or weaker. Businesses should also have longer term budgets such as five years and ten years.

Of course, if management choose to ignore the budgets and operate outside of the plans the results will probably differ from those expected. At the present time when the government has ceased the business' trading, any plans need extensive revision. Many budgets will just be ignored until a workable trading environment can be re-instated.

The question was about 'the future of golf clubs'. That depends a lot on how well each club can weather the storm. If they have substantial assets, they should be able to borrow funds to cover cash flow deficiencies, even if it takes years to recover. On the other hand, if they're as good as broke now, the future looks grim.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#23 Crankyscott

Crankyscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:44 PM

Perhaps the point gg33 was making is it depends on when the membership dues refresh for the year. I know of a club whose dues were due yesterday (they run an April to March membership year). Renewal date is when quite a bit of cash comes in, excluding those who pay by through the year (don't know the ## here)

#24 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:15 PM

I can see clubs struggling in the short term and possibly folding but I think long term golf will benefit. The travel companies will suffer the most especially cruise ships with older people travelling overseas much less. More time and money to play golf.

#25 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3883 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:35 PM

Perhaps the point gg33 was making is it depends on when the membership dues refresh for the year. I know of a club whose dues were due yesterday (they run an April to March membership year). Renewal date is when quite a bit of cash comes in, excluding those who pay by through the year (don't know the ## here)

Thank you, that's my point which OB doesn't seem to get.

Until the end of each clubs financial year they are still using the previous years income from their members. 

Ask him if he pays his subs a year in advance and the club gets to use them in their budget ?

#26 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25727 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:28 AM

Thank you, that's my point which OB doesn't seem to get.
Until the end of each clubs financial year they are still using the previous years income from their members. 
Ask him if he pays his subs a year in advance and the club gets to use them in their budget ?

That may have been what you were thinking, but not what you wrote.
Yes, I pay yearly in advance and the club's budget for the following year would include an expectation of receiving funds of membership renewals.

Past membership payments would/should be sitting in the bank to cover progressive expenditure throughout the current year. However, for example, the previous budget may have allowed for a significant portion of membership funds to be used for specific renovations and relied on regular income to cover running expenses.

The budget is the plan of what cash flow is expected to occur during the specified future period.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#27 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3883 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:45 PM

That may have been what you were thinking, but not what you wrote.
Yes, I pay yearly in advance and the club's budget for the following year would include an expectation of receiving funds of membership renewals.

Past membership payments would/should be sitting in the bank to cover progressive expenditure throughout the current year. However, for example, the previous budget may have allowed for a significant portion of membership funds to be used for specific renovations and relied on regular income to cover running expenses.

The budget is the plan of what cash flow is expected to occur during the specified future period.

Nice back pedal, OB !

The major expenditure for any club is course maintenance, so if they have not reached the end of their financial year those funds will still be in the bank and budget to continue.

Your assertion about major renovations is flawed, a red herring really and any club with funds left in their budget could realign scheduling and manpower to only incorporate the maintenance of the course.

Btw a big thank you OB, your musings and drivel are keeping me sane, to a point !  

#28 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25727 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:10 PM

Nice back pedal, OB !

The major expenditure for any club is course maintenance, so if they have not reached the end of their financial year those funds will still be in the bank and budget to continue.
Your assertion about major renovations is flawed, a red herring really and any club with funds left in their budget could realign scheduling and manpower to only incorporate the maintenance of the course.

Btw a big thank you OB, your musings and drivel are keeping me sane, to a point !

You're the one who's back pedalling. But let's drop that.

I understand the point you tried to make. Yes, planned non-essential works would now be dropped in favour of using available funds for vital ongoing matters. It's only clubs that are running out of financial resources that face a grim future.

As for keeping either one of us sane, what suggests that we were both sane to start with?
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#29 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25727 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 02:39 PM

Hmmm, Friday arvo, no response for a while.
A regular has snuck in the back door for a quiet one. How can you maintain 1.5m separation in that space?
  • madness likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#30 westy5555

westy5555

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:27 PM

And the beach was lovely this morning.

Perth under lockdown is not so bad