266 replies to this topic

#106 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3823 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 03:14 AM

Get rid of scomo  and danny boy.....what we need is a leader who is never wrong...hence  the alien TRUMPet..all his problem just disappear look  its a "miracle"

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#107 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 03:45 PM

Yes a nice new centre of excellence at Sandringham, for us all to go and use the high tech state of the art equipment to improve our swings and a bigger and better Vic Open.

Oh dont forget we now have the WHS system, so your handicap is same when  we travel overseas and play golf in USA

Just by way of clarification.

The Sandringham centre of excellence project was a GV project that was in the advanced planning stages with committed contributions from GV, the Vic Govt and Bayside Council before One Golf started.  GV sought and obtained assurances about its continuance from GA prior to their exiting the federation model of golf administration and joining One Golf.  The other point I would make is that whether it is delivered by GV or GA the project isn't much of benefit for clubland.  Its principal aims were about giving GV (now the GA Vic outpost) a permanent home and supporting elite Victorian golf.  The availability of the facilities with one exception will be a bonus for golfers all round not just club members.  The project comes at the expense of 9 of Sandringham's 18 holes.  I understand that by and large the current users of the facility would prefer that the centre was located elsewhere and that they still had their other 9 holes.

It's great that the Vic Open has been elevated although I don't think its much of boom for clubland.  Under the old funding model GV affiliated members contributed approximately $2 each per year via affiliation fees to fund the event.  If I were an interstate member I would be wondering how much of my affiliation fee is going towards the elevated event, especially given the quantum of GA's operating losses. 

The Queensland Open under GA is probably the same and I am hoping that planned SA and Tassie Opens never see the light of day unless they can be fully funded by sponsors and/or SA and Tassie club members.

The WHS is a GA project, its good for all affiliated persons, a shedload of whom are not from clubland but rather from virtual clubs, like Qantas, RACV, SGA, The Social Golf Club, etc.

I stand by my comments that clubland was better serviced by GV than it is now by GA.

Edited by Hawkers2015, 19 April 2020 - 04:02 PM.

#108 Crankyscott

Crankyscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 04:41 PM

A new 18 hole course is being constructed, 9 holes of the which have already been completed and opened. With the golf lockdown in Victoria the second 9 is highly likely to be ready ahead of scehdule. I've played the first 9 (which is not actually the first 9 it's the 9 holes they constructed first) and it's a marked improvement on what they had and will probably be the best public facility in Melbourne (and perhaps in any capital city) when it's completed. So I don't think the "members" and the Melbourne public golfers are worse off, aside from the nolstagic types who liked the old course.

#109 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:05 PM

A new 18 hole course is being constructed, 9 holes of the which have already been completed and opened. With the golf lockdown in Victoria the second 9 is highly likely to be ready ahead of scehdule. I've played the first 9 (which is not actually the first 9 it's the 9 holes they constructed first) and it's a marked improvement on what they had and will probably be the best public facility in Melbourne (and perhaps in any capital city) when it's completed. So I don't think the "members" and the Melbourne public golfers are worse off, aside from the nolstagic types who liked the old course.

Happy to be corrected on that, had heard some reports to the contrary and read Darius Oliver's criticism of the project.  Maybe he was involved with an unsuccessful proposal or had some other axe to grind. 

As good as the project might be not sure how it does much for clubland.

#110 Crankyscott

Crankyscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:49 PM

Here is the final concept. Signs showing this layout are posted on the course itself. Also you can look on the golf Vic website for progress reports.
As for Darius's comments, he made them at the outset of the plans, prior to any course being laid out. And it was more about the COE concept which until we see it perhaps the scepticism is warranted.
Clubland? Not certain of the connection there. Because GV/GA money is going into it then there should be wider benefits?

Attached Files

• Hawkers2015 likes this

#111 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:07 PM

The only money GA would be putting in would be money they got from GV.

They lost $1.4m last year and I understand that before COVID19 they were expecting another loss this FY.  Net assets in 15/16 were almost $3.5m, as at last June they were down to $1.7m.

Edited by Hawkers2015, 19 April 2020 - 08:07 PM.

#112 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3943 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 11:40 PM

The only money GA would be putting in would be money they got from GV.

They lost $1.4m last year and I understand that before COVID19 they were expecting another loss this FY.  Net assets in 15/16 were almost $3.5m, as at last June they were down to $1.7m.

John, not convinced re your figures here and your comments on L4g about the premier being a paid up member of KGC is also incorrect.

When KGC got into bed with the developer ( 4/5 years ago ) he resigned as an honorary member, sited a conflict of interest !

#113 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 07:46 AM

John, not convinced re your figures here and your comments on L4g about the premier being a paid up member of KGC is also incorrect.

When KGC got into bed with the developer ( 4/5 years ago ) he resigned as an honorary member, sited a conflict of interest !

Looked up his register of interests lodged with Parliament and your 100% right.  Your reasoning is pretty sound, he wouldn't want to be associated in any way with a planning scheme amendment that the venture will require.

GA last made a profit in 2015/16.  The annual report is available at

https://assets.ctfas...4862-source.pdf

If you look at pages 38 & 39.  You can see that they made $211k and that net assets are $3.462m.

The 2018/19 annual report is available at 

https://assets.ctfas...alReport_01.pdf

If you look at pages 44 & 45 you can see that lost $1.399m and that net assets are $1.715m.

If look at the article at https://www.nasdaq.c...year-2020-02-18 GA Chairman Andrew Newbold is quoted as saying 'GA had made inroads into boosting corporate sponsorship and would report better numbers in 2019/20, without breaking even.'

Cumulatively in 16/17, 17/18 & 18/19 GA has lost $1.747m with more to come in 19/20.  For starters I reckon Stephen Pitt would have gotten a pretty tasty payout when the GA Board punted him and COVID19 will make things even more dire.

Edited by Hawkers2015, 21 April 2020 - 07:47 AM.

#114 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 02:38 PM

I just watched ScoMo's update.

It looks as if they are ready to ease the brakes soon-ish. The PPE supply is considered adequate for an outbreak, and the level of ventilators is at target level. They are looking at releasing their tracing app in a few weeks. It is based on the Singapore app I heard. This will achieve their 3 point target for de- restriction.

I noted that IVF, elective & reconstructive surgery, and dental care is being started up again. The poor dentists can't use their high speed turbines, so they are not really back 100%. 

Bad news is that experts think immunity post infection will last about 4 months only. Australia will have no herd immunity, so we can expect another few waves of infection every year or so. 

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#115 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:06 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=bfN2JWifLCY

Very interesting counter view of how to manage the situation.

I have no doubt that for second or third waves of the virus, we will see this sort of approach.

Edited by xrman1954, 23 April 2020 - 04:19 PM.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#116 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:57 PM

Just when you thought it was safe to go into the water, so to speak.

There has been some discussion in Australia about whether the governments advice not to wear face masks was purely based on lack of availability. This video is good in that the presenter explains that the benefit of face masks is primarily to stop the wearer from spreading his/her infection.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ycf6bAMKgjg

Given that our infection rate is so low, the advice we have been given seems fair. If however, you are feeling unwell, put on a mask before you go out. Oh, and open the window , turn off the aircon and don't stand so close to me! >2 m please folks.

It makes me glad that i have retired! BTW if any of you are in the medical game, please be aware that Livingstone International have hiked their face mask prices up by 500% since January. I would be writing them a curt note, cancelling my account, if I were  you. 

Edited by xrman1954, 23 April 2020 - 05:00 PM.

#117 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 23 April 2020 - 07:01 PM

They aren't the only ones who are price gouging.
Check your supermarket.
Toilet paper that used to be $3 odd for a pack of rolls is now $7.
Bacon was $10kg is now $13. Fruit & veges are now much dearer.

Petrol is supposed to be under $1 / litre is still $1.15 or more.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#118 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 07:30 PM

Poo paper is then just over 100% higher.  The face masks 500%!

Petrol in Portland is 92c /L. we have competition here for the first time in 40 years.

Fruit and veg is possibly a factor of drought and bush fire as well. We grow  most our own veg so we have only noticed broccoli being expensive. 

#119 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3943 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 12:19 AM

They aren't the only ones who are price gouging.
Check your supermarket.
Toilet paper that used to be $3 odd for a pack of rolls is now $7.
Bacon was $10kg is now $13. Fruit & veges are now much dearer.

Petrol is supposed to be under $1 / litre is still $1.15 or more.

Around here it's .85 to .95 cents per litre, you are living in a gouge country area !

#120 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 08:07 AM

The National Cabinet and Premier Dan are meeting tonight to discuss exit strategies. I think I will clean my golf clubs in preparation. Premier Dan said we don't need to play golf, yet he is increasing funding for mental health consultations via video link.

It keeps my daughter in work I guess (she is s psychologist), but a few thousand golfers in Victoria would prefer a natural therapy of walking in the fresh air and hitting a ball around. Think of the cost savings Dan!

No doubt Dan will drag his heels, not wishing to be seen to favour the well healed section of the community over other sports/activities.

• Henschke likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users