#91 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 10:24 PM

I wish I was that confident.

I think Chairman Dan is quite enjoying the power trip. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he extends the shutdown for at least another month...regardless of the infection trend.

first few weeks back we are likely to be in groups of 2. no food after game

no rakes, with some courses being members only hope we can get OOM on 24th May

And  yes all of you are correct, In Victoria this is now not about health its about politics.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#92 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 11:30 AM

Two things.....

Firstly, I think that because Dan the man is presumably busy because of Coronavirus, his attitude is If I can't play, nor can you!

Secondly, if he genuinely thinks that if we can't stay safe playing golf, why is the whole racing industry still going? Is that an essential service?

#93 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3943 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 12:23 PM

Two things.....

Firstly, I think that because Dan the man is presumably busy because of Coronavirus, his attitude is If I can't play, nor can you!

Secondly, if he genuinely thinks that if we can't stay safe playing golf, why is the whole racing industry still going? Is that an essential service?

The racing industry is a huge tax revenue for the state and federal governments.

Can you imagine the backlash from gambolling communities if horse racing and associates had been closed down ? 

• Henschke likes this

#94 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 12:28 PM

The racing industry is a huge tax revenue for the state and federal governments.

Can you imagine the backlash from gambolling communities if horse racing and associates had been closed down ? 

Yes I can, but isn't this about health? Selective care by politicians doesn't help. Money shouldn't be an issue, but it obviously is. Golf doesn't earn the Government money, so they don't care!

#95 Crankyscott

Crankyscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 12:50 PM

Allowing golf means allowing a whole lot of other pursuits when the government is trying to keep everyone in their homes unless essential that they leave. Why is this so hard to understand?
  • golfguy33 likes this

#96 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 01:04 PM

Allowing golf means allowing a whole lot of other pursuits when the government is trying to keep everyone in their homes unless essential that they leave. Why is this so hard to understand?

My point is about horse racing & using golf as an example to make my point. Why is that so hard to understand?

#97 Crankyscott

Crankyscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 01:10 PM

I understand your point. Horse racing shouldn't be allowed but it is. Yep. Probabaly some gambling revenue there that the state wants to maintain. People should still stay home unless it's necessary to go out. Means no golf. Whether golf is high or low risk is not fully relevant. Golf Australia thinks golf is safe. It probabaly is if all measures are followed. But the Victorian government wants people to stay home unless is necessary to go out for the 4 reasons they cite.

#98 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 01:20 PM

I understand your point. Horse racing shouldn't be allowed but it is. Yep. Probabaly some gambling revenue there that the state wants to maintain. People should still stay home unless it's necessary to go out. Means no golf. Whether golf is high or low risk is not fully relevant. Golf Australia thinks golf is safe. It probabaly is if all measures are followed. But the Victorian government wants people to stay home unless is necessary to go out for the 4 reasons they cite.

I'm not on this forum to have people tell me what the Government's line is........I hear it 20 times a day. I am making a point about the anomalies in their thinking & how it is frustrating for golfers to hear reasons why they can't play, while letting more serious issues slip under the carpet, because it suits them. That's why we are on a golf forum.

• Goldy likes this

#99 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40060 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 18 April 2020 - 01:27 PM

I would have thought high versus low risk is precisely why it is relevant.

• Henschke likes this
Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015
Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016
Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball
Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017
Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel
3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals
C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous.....

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#100 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 02:13 PM

And of course nothing to do with your current membership of a country course.

Yes...he's a country member.

I was being selfless in volunteering to act as the canary in the cage down the mine thing! We live too far away from Melbourne and don't vote for the ALP, so no-one in the city would miss us if we dropped like flies. It could also explain why we have car swallowing holes in our highways too. 

I was also armed with the knowledge that my golf playing friends 100 km away in S.A. are still alive and well, having not stopped playing at all.

With only 170 odd cases of community contagion nation wide, I am wondering why the Victorian government still want us to stay at home, rather than adopting the  rules based on risk reduction strategy that has worked in South Australia. In comparison to overseas outcomes, there is a case to support we might have over reacted. Still, I am sure our leaders acted on the best advice available at the early stages of the pandemic. 

Looking on the bright side, I heard from Roy and HG Nelson this morning that golf courses in N.S.W. are full for 5 weeks. Opening the Vic courses could see a resurgence of membership!

• Henschke likes this

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#101 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:38 PM

Golf Australia, a bloated quasi government Victorian centric waste of space that no amateur golfer will shed tear for when it gets cut asunder.

Your better of than we are Golf Vic folded its tent into GA.  None of the merger benefits are accruing to clubland, two years on we get less service than we ever did.

#102 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:43 PM

I wish I was that confident.

I think Chairman Dan is quite enjoying the power trip. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he extends the shutdown for at least another month...regardless of the infection trend.

Yesterday it briefly looked like sanity would prevail when a foolish DHHS staffer said nothing wrong with playing golf.

But fortunately for Dan insanity prevailed and our Nanny State status was kept safe when CMO  Brett Sutton put the kibosh on golf a few hours later.

Edited by Hawkers2015, 18 April 2020 - 03:46 PM.

#103 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 07:14 PM

I have no issue with what the Vic Govt and the Health professionals put in place, by virtue of the speed of the virus, it was policy on the run. They will lift the golf/fishing, number of people who can congregate thing shortly. I understand that its annoying being in Vic and seeing other states put sensible measures in place to allow golf to continue as a leisure and exercise pursuit but it is what it is.

Golf Australia does not get a pass, instead it gets another massive fail, support golf and support clubs instead of trying to make some weak arse grovelling vic centric political statement and being more worried about the fact that dozens of them missed out on the annual Augusta piss take.

#104 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 10:36 PM

Your better of than we are Golf Vic folded its tent into GA.  None of the merger benefits are accruing to clubland, two years on we get less service than we ever did.

Yes a nice new centre of excellence at Sandringham, for us all to go and use the high tech state of the art equipment to improve our swings and a bigger and better Vic Open.

Oh dont forget we now have the WHS system, so your handicap is same when  we travel overseas and play golf in USA

Yesterday it briefly looked like sanity would prevail when a foolish DHHS staffer said nothing wrong with playing golf.

But fortunately for Dan insanity prevailed and our Nanny State status was kept safe when CMO  Brett Sutton put the kibosh on golf a few hours later.

The more this goes on the more it becomes a political matter and not a health matter.

I think the fact that Dan is a keen golfer is the issue, he doesnt want to be seen to favour one group over another.

look at the positive side of things, it keeps the whacko protesters away from the centre of the city.

There were a lot of cars on Monash freeway all week, and the main shopping centre car park was busy, and lots of people walking around.

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

#105 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 10:43 PM

I have no issue with what the Vic Govt and the Health professionals put in place, by virtue of the speed of the virus, it was policy on the run. They will lift the golf/fishing, number of people who can congregate thing shortly. I understand that its annoying being in Vic and seeing other states put sensible measures in place to allow golf to continue as a leisure and exercise pursuit but it is what it is.

Golf Australia does not get a pass, instead it gets another massive fail, support golf and support clubs instead of trying to make some weak arse grovelling vic centric political statement and being more worried about the fact that dozens of them missed out on the annual Augusta piss take.

The Masters is on in November, so they still get to go, if QANTAS can fly them there.

but No announcement yet on the timing of the other big GA event the Australian Open, which is normally around mid November.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users