#76 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:04 PM

He should probably clear it with Dan's mother first.
  • Dellavedova777 likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#77 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:34 PM

I am feeling old just listening to the PM being interviewed by Lee Sales on the ABC. They were discussing ongoing isolation of older people ( those over 60) when things free up a bit in the next phase. Bloody cheek!

Then the phone rang and I jumped up to answer it. FArrrr out, my hip hurts. Too many hours on the scaffold painting the house today obviously. OK ,I am really feeling old now.

Talking of various ways of dealing with Covid-19 I was interested to find out how the Swedes are dealing  with the pandemic. There they have advised to use social distancing ( not enforced) , advising over 60s / other vulnerable groups ( diabetics, high BP, immune depressed) to self isolate, and schools still open. So far their death rate per capita is higher than the USA, but they expect to be on the other side  with herd immunity and less economic toll sooner. The Swede interviewed said they had choices; either a higher death toll  in a short period, or the same death toll over a longer period. Their hospital system is coping I take it. 

• Dellavedova777 likes this

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#78 Dellavedova777

Dellavedova777

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationGreat food and great company. Two of life's simplest yet greatest pleasures.

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:07 PM

[quote name="xrman1954" post="1665701" timestamp="1587033285"]I am feeling old just listening to the PM being interviewed by Lee Sales on the ABC. They were discussing ongoing isolation of older people ( those over 60) when things free up a bit in the next phase. Bloody cheek!

Then the phone rang and I jumped up to answer it. FArrrr out, my hip hurts. Too many hours on the scaffold painting the house today obviously. OK ,I am really feeling old now.

Talking of various ways of dealing with Covid-19 I was interested to find out how the Swedes are dealing  with the pandemic. There they have advised to use social distancing ( not enforced) , advising over 60s / other vulnerable groups ( diabetics, high BP, immune depressed) to self isolate, and schools still open. So far their death rate per capita is higher than the USA, but they expect to be on the other side  with herd immunity and less economic toll sooner. The Swede interviewed said they had choices; either a higher death toll  in a short period, or the same death toll over a longer period. Their hospital system is coping I take it.
[/quote
Lol, you sound exactly like Billy Connolly stand-up show about getting old. Really funny!
Cheers up! Golf will make young again :-):-)

Carpe Diem

#79 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:24 PM

Didn't Billy say to never trust a fart or waste and erection after 60?

I can't use the question to my wife upon awakening currently; intercourse or golf course? She used to say take a jumper, it looks cold outside. That is a win /win situation if ever I heard of one!

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#80 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 02:11 AM

I am feeling old just listening to the PM being interviewed by Lee Sales on the ABC. They were discussing ongoing isolation of older people ( those over 60) when things free up a bit in the next phase. Bloody cheek!

over 60s self isolate....

thats not good for our Vets golf groups.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#81 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 06:42 AM

Maybe it is a case of wear a face mask at Vets golf to reduce the chance of an infected golfer passing droplet infection to the group. We will all look better too! Other isolation methods would work too, such as play in pairs not fours, no cart sharing etc., staggered starting times, no car pooling. It would require booking in for your game, rather than just turning up in the day. It might make golf day less stressful for the office staff /volunteers/ caterers too.

The most important thing would be to stay away if you felt even slightly " off".

At that stage of the pandemic, self isolation should be voluntary, not mandatory. If you have co-morbidity factors ( lung issues, smokers, BP medications, immune deficiency, diabetic, obesity?) you would be well advised to stay at home. Age alone isn't a good predictor of survival.

#82 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 11:34 AM

Most of the guys I play golf with (current restrictions excepted) and not just the vets, carry a selection of meds to get them through the round.

I'd have no one to play with.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#83 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3943 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 03:19 PM

Most of the guys forced to play golf with me (current restrictions excepted) and not just the vets, carry a selection of meds to get them through the round with me.

I have no one to play with :(

#84 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40060 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 17 April 2020 - 03:40 PM

Latest from Golf Australia:

Golf Australia’s focus during the COVID-19 pandemic will always be the wellbeing of the broader community.

Combined with our enduring responsibility for our clubs, their staff and all Australian golfers, we remain comfortable that our position recommending that clubs close has been appropriate to this point.

But, acknowledging the long challenge that lies ahead of all Australians during this pandemic, we have been encouraged to see golf played in comparative safety in five states and one territory in recent weeks as we all adopt social distancing necessities.

Under strict and specific safety protocols – enforced by state and territory guidelines as well as individual club rules – Golf Australia is now satisfied that golf can be played at minimal risk. Having worked collaboratively with our clubs and other stakeholders, we are now comfortable to alter our position and encourage courses to open and for people to play.

As well as social distancing, these safety protocols include keeping gloves on and not touching hands with playing partners, not sharing carts, leaving flags in, reducing hole depth, greater times between groups, not exchanging cards, not using bunker rakes and maintaining personal hygiene.

The ability to play currently does not apply to those in Victoria and the Northern Territory where golf remains prohibited under local laws. As ever, Golf Australia will continue constructive dialogue and advocacy for golfers with these governments.

It is important to note that Golf Australia may again alter our position depending on the changing requirements of governments (Federal, state and territory) as the COVID-19 crisis unfolds.

https://www.golf.org...vid-19-position

• Henschke likes this
Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015
Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016
Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball
Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017
Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel
3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals
C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous.....

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#85 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 03:48 PM

Most of the guys forced to play golf with me (current restrictions excepted) and not just the vets, carry a selection of meds to get them through the round with me.
I have no one to play with :(

Thanks Jon, or should I start calling you Max?
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#86 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 07:07 PM

Mark Newbold CEO Golf Australia on just on Radio 3 AW sports said

Golf Australia supports golf courses being open.(even though they have been in NSW for a few weeks)

So now its over to  DAN to make a decision.

Think he will hold firm until May 11.

but come may 12th at 7.00 am there is sure to be a lot on the first tee.

• Henschke likes this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#87 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 40060 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 09:17 PM

Mark Newbold CEO Golf Australia on just on Radio 3 AW sports said

Golf Australia supports golf courses being open.(even though they have been in NSW for a few weeks)

So now its over to  DAN to make a decision.

Think he will hold firm until May 11.

but come may 12th at 7.00 am there is sure to be a lot on the first tee.

I wish I was that confident.

I think Chairman Dan is quite enjoying the power trip. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he extends the shutdown for at least another month...regardless of the infection trend.

• Hawkers2015 and Bogey Golfer like this
Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball

R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous.....

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

#88 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 09:31 PM

Golf Australia, a bloated quasi government Victorian centric waste of space that no amateur golfer will shed tear for when it gets cut asunder.

• Hawkers2015 and Goldy like this

#89 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 10:05 PM

I have a suggestion for Comrade Dan. What about a phased reintroduction of golf starting immediately?

Rural courses first( small numbers there anyway), then regional cities next week(a few more players), then metro courses a week later. With increased time/ distance between groups, it would look like a considered and thoughtful change of direction. Perceptions are important in politics I am told.

I know, tell me I am dreaming!

• Henschke likes this

#90 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 40060 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 10:20 PM

And of course nothing to do with your current membership of a country course.

Yes...he's a country member.

• Henschke and xrman1954 like this

R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users