266 replies to this topic

#61 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 04:52 PM

i think June latest , they're not gonna maintain restriction 3 when theres like 2-3 addtional infections a day in victoria population of 6.5mn thats absurd . current trend would suggest we are 30 days from those numbers 

#62 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3943 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 12:49 AM

Meanwhile we have lost millions with nothing to show for it, except continued traffic congestion in the north west suburbs. I'd like to see how Dan gets the penalty fees for cancellation of a contract back in future tender bids. 

It seems that you don't really read others replies to your comments, before jumping in ? 

Victorian budget for this financial year was $80 bill, not sure how much that has blown out with this unprecedented "C19 pandemic". 

Can you guys imagine what could happen if we don't take these steps to stop the virus from spreading !

Suggest you all have a google and take a good hard look at the history, facts and figures for the 1918 Spanish flu.

Then let me know how much you need to get out onto the course ? 

#63 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:23 AM

He campaigned against the freeway link in his first term but will get the deposits back when those same companies tender again for the work, in the future.

Well I read this and understood it. I don't believe it. We ( the tax payers)  paid the price for his pandering to inner city supporters and Dan put their NIMBY attitudes before what was good for the State. The penalties we paid for breach of contract is money we will never see again, but be paying the interest on for years. 

I am very familiar with the so called Spanish flu epidemic during the post WW1 era. The only effective tool they had was social distance. It worked eventually.

Now lets discuss the lack of logic in the current mishmash of rules in different states. My earlier  point was that different States having their own restrictions that contradict each other  will lead to confusion and resentment. If rules were based on the premise that restrictions only applied if the activity lead to risk of virus spread, then I would not be peeved.

Why is it OK for a hairdresser to continue to work without PPE, but not a massage therapist for example? Why are refuse depots open , yet in some jurisdictions it is deemed not allowed for people to take their garden waste there. Same thing with gift shop retailers. Hardly what i would call an essential service, yet do their customers get fined? Why is is OK to play golf in S.A. if you maintain social distance, but 60 km away over the border I can't. I can drive down to the beaches and surf though. 

We are one country and need one set of rules, not this mess we have been presented with by grandstanding Premiers, vying to out restrict each other. 

• Turfers Paradise, Goldy and Henschke like this

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#64 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 08:01 AM

WE are now all in lock down till May 11th.

Q) what will happen on May 10th.

A) new announcement saying = we are in lock down till end June

Edited by Bogey Golfer, 13 April 2020 - 08:29 AM.

• Turfers Paradise likes this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#65 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 13 April 2020 - 12:21 PM

WE are now all in lock down till May 11th.

Q) what will happen on May 10th.

A) new announcement saying = we are in lock down till end June

I'm not so sure about that BG.

It seems like ages since I last played golf, but it's only been 3 weeks and we've got the new infections rate well down. We could be down to zero in another 4 weeks. It's a race between us and NZ. Provided Tassie doesn't let the cat out of tha bag again (or Tas devil), a rash of new outbreaks in Burnie. Then again, we could just cut Tassie off altogether, no one would notice.

So, in 4 weeks we could be down around zero and Nana might let us out to play golf again.
  • Henschke likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#66 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3943 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 02:02 PM

Well I read this and understood it. I don't believe it. We ( the tax payers)  paid the price for his pandering to inner city supporters and Dan put their NIMBY attitudes before what was good for the State. The penalties we paid for breach of contract is money we will never see again, but be paying the interest on for years. 

I am very familiar with the so called Spanish flu epidemic during the post WW1 era. The only effective tool they had was social distance. It worked eventually.

Now lets discuss the lack of logic in the current mishmash of rules in different states. My earlier  point was that different States having their own restrictions that contradict each other  will lead to confusion and resentment. If rules were based on the premise that restrictions only applied if the activity lead to risk of virus spread, then I would not be peeved.

Why is it OK for a hairdresser to continue to work without PPE, but not a massage therapist for example? Why are refuse depots open , yet in some jurisdictions it is deemed not allowed for people to take their garden waste there. Same thing with gift shop retailers. Hardly what i would call an essential service, yet do their customers get fined? Why is is OK to play golf in S.A. if you maintain social distance, but 60 km away over the border I can't. I can drive down to the beaches and surf though. 

We are one country and need one set of rules, not this mess we have been presented with by grandstanding Premiers, vying to out restrict each other. 

The companies that can do the freeway work will tender again and that's when Vic has the chance to screw them down on costs for them to get the jobs involved. Whether you believe it or not is solely your problem to ponder.

I can't agree with your premise that all states should be on the same lockdown program. As I've previously said, each state has slightly different laws governing them and how those laws are interpreted and or implemented is solely up to the individual premiers, under a national caucus.

We're doing better than some states and worse than others.

I do agree that some businesses that are trading most definitely shouldn't be and the "essential" part of governing act/law is amusing and confusing.

I will point out the re shutdown overnight of Singapore and how they definitely went hard to start with and now have relaxed the lockdown, only to have it flare up again !

Our C19 lockdown laws are specifically aimed at us and as we've seen in the early days a lot of people ignored the isolation directives, so the authorities had to put tougher sanctions in place to deal with our population.

If you're only worried about you and not having the social freedom to do what you want to do, then I suggest that you relax, settle back and mentally prepare to ride it out for another month or three.

Because that's what it is going to take in the short term to beat this pandemic !

Whinging about our restrictions on playing golf here versus other states isn't going to change anytime soon, we just have to be patient, suck it up and move forward together...          

#67 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 06:21 PM

OK I will suck it up and shut up about the failings of our current Federal system. Well at least until we have the Republic established and the Sates abolished. I should live so long.

Next lets debate what happens post vaccine (assuming we get an effective one)

Topics I can think of

1) reintroduction of local manufacture of PPE and a rolling stockpile thereof.

2) A Federal plan for Covid 20? "Be Prepared"/ or how to stop International flights immediately

3) review our trading relationship & reliance on China

4) review our foreign ownership laws to mirror reciprocal rights arrangements 

5) review of our relationship with the WHO.

6) A purge of China's influence within our political and University systems

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#68 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

2019 GCSAQ Queensland Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18214 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:40 PM

I would think we're at least until the end of this year before the international borders are open.

Nostradamus
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer
Winner C Grade Gross 90/70 01/06/2019 Monthly Medal

‘99% of short putts do go in, they are the leftovers of your original putt’

#69 Dellavedova777

Dellavedova777

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationGreat food and great company. Two of life's simplest yet greatest pleasures.

Posted 13 April 2020 - 11:03 PM

Comparing Spanish flu with 50 million deaths and Covid19 is like chalk and cheese. Sulfa drugs and Penicillin weren’t around and no antibiotics. We are in  5th month of Covid19 with 120,000 death world wide. Even 2nd stage hit us, it might not reach 500,000 deaths We have better living standard especially water and personal hygiene, cleaner and more hygiene in hospital, PPE, ICU ventilators and learn to social distance in public place.

When schools start next week, how do you practice social distance for the teachers and students? Singapore, UK, USA schools closed, why Vic primary and secondary still open? Supermarkets social distance is nil despite suppose to  1.5m social distance at the entrance. I cant wait when  Coles or Woolly have delivery service back. Now, running is not even safe because some s*%^ reason bicycles decide to share the same footpath, others bump into you while they are on the phone.

Vic has a biggest share of migration for housing and a lot of international students bringing handsome dollars into our economic. No domestic fly till September and international in December/January 2021. No properties transaction, now future is looking doom.

BTW, 2nd stage wave of infections cases originated from returning Singaporeans while traveling Europe.

Golf is outside sport and can easily abide social distance 5m to 100m no problem. No recycle air ventilator here. These are some facts. Oh well, soldier on VIC team!

• Turfers Paradise, Weetbix and WasabiPea_Shooter like this

Carpe Diem

#70 Crankyscott

Crankyscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 07:56 AM

It's a great idea let's close the supermarkets and schools and ban running and cycling but open the golf courses.
  • golfguy33 and OldBogey like this

#71 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 04:51 PM

If we can't get social distancing to work in supermarkets, perhaps we need to start using masks. i know we don't have enough to go around. It would at least reduce spread of droplets from infected asymptomatic persons, the real reason they work so well in Asia.

If I was a mature aged teacher I would want PPE supplied before I went back to work.

I am guessing running and cycling in crowded city parks ins't a great idea. Possibly it would be the  same at crowded city golf courses too! 

Thankfully the sheep don't seem to care when I exercise anywhere near them. I am probably breaking the law driving out to the farm, but some rules don't make sense. I heard on the radio the Police have started to review each fine issued. Obviously a sense of impending civil disobedience has been detected.

• Dellavedova777 likes this

#72 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

2019 GCSAQ Queensland Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18214 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 04:17 AM

Lol .... when you said sheep I thought you meant people.....sheep are smarter than us atm...
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer
Winner C Grade Gross 90/70 01/06/2019 Monthly Medal

‘99% of short putts do go in, they are the leftovers of your original putt’

#73 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:24 AM

I meant the wooly kind. They are not that smart when they drift across my target zone peacefully grazing away. Then again, that is probably like standing in the middle of a fairway when I am hitting the ball. Pretty safe really! 

The farm has a very beautiful outlook and good for the soul, plus I get exercise lugging a few clubs up and down the hills. The electric fence was down, so I had to jury rig a repair and hike back to the ute for tools. Mixing business and pleasure for sure.

I did find a good use for the SW I was carrying. Those thieving crows were intimidated when I launched it at them hunting boomerang style, when they flew in to steal Tony's drive. I was using a well used Pinnacle ball so I was not concerned it they stole my ball. We have a local rule that we get a free drop in the agreed location after a crow" ball heist".

#74 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 02:40 PM

Sam Newman is on way to see Commandant Dan re letting golfers play again.

Go for it SAM

• Henschke and Dellavedova777 like this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#75 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 03:02 PM

Sam Newman is on way to see Commandant Dan re letting golfers play again.

Go for it SAM

Sam just doesn't get that we are in the Nanny Sate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users