Mates rates ?

#32 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:16 AM

I'd be happy to play a farm at the moment. Literally a farm. Wonder if Coober Pedy is shut? Or the Nullabor course?

• Henschke likes this

#33 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:15 AM

I'd be happy to play a farm at the moment. Literally a farm. Wonder if Coober Pedy is shut? Or the Nullabor course?

Plenty of courses available if you're not in Vic. We can't cross the border though. Very frustrating!

• madness likes this

#34 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:37 PM

Plenty of courses available if you're not in Vic. We can't cross the border though. Very frustrating!

I'm really tempted to drive 3 hours there, 3 hours back just for a game of golf but knowing my luck the police would pull over the VIC plated car and ask for my license.  :(

• Henschke likes this

#35 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3940 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:01 PM

I'm really tempted to drive 3 hours there, 3 hours back just for a game of golf but knowing my luck the police would pull over the VIC plated car and ask for my license.  :(

And make you self isolate for 14 days in another state.

• Henschke and madness like this

#36 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 11:37 AM

And make you self isolate for 14 days in another state.

That would be ok if you could isolate on 14 different golf courses!

#37 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3940 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 12:12 PM

Get a package deal and fly to China, isolate in Shenzhen, has to be at least a dozen courses to play on the same paddock :)
  • Henschke likes this

#38 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 11:51 PM

I think the GA ranking panel is around 40-50 people where the AGD is around 180 spread all over the Australia in an attempt to get a more accurate snap shot of the less visited courses.
The GA panel may have a large percentage of their panel in major cities.

That has to be one of the best jobs in (Golf) Australia, flying first class all around Australia, and playing all the courses, without paying green fees, and get to rate the course.

No pressure to break 100 or 90 on the course all have to do is turn up and play for fun not even put a score into golf link.

to get a list of 100 courses one would probably have to play 300 + courses per year =1 per day  

If one also included all the great country courses around(which never get rated) one could play golf every day without being a member of any club.

Edited by Bogey Golfer, 18 April 2020 - 11:56 PM.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#39 Crankyscott

Crankyscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:06 AM

That has to be one of the best jobs in (Golf) Australia, flying first class all around Australia, and playing all the courses, without paying green fees, and get to rate the course.

No pressure to break 100 or 90 on the course all have to do is turn up and play for fun not even put a score into golf link.

to get a list of 100 courses one would probably have to play 300 + courses per year =1 per day

If one also included all the great country courses around(which never get rated) one could play golf every day without being a member of any club.

I don't think they play all the courses, there is a weighting system to account for how many ranked that course so I assume that picks up where not everyone played (and therefore voted) for it. And they have 23 months to submit course rankings (ie since the previous rankings were published).
Read the inset explanation "How the ranking was compiled"

https://www.golfaust...for-2020-537630

#40 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:20 AM

I don't think they play all the courses, there is a weighting system to account for how many ranked that course so I assume that picks up where not everyone played (and therefore voted) for it. And they have 23 months to submit course rankings (ie since the previous rankings were published).
Read the inset explanation "How the ranking was compiled"

https://www.golfaust...for-2020-537630

The way its explained on Golf Australia link means the raters could go on a web site, look at the fly over and rate the course on that basis.

how can rank a course if dont play the course.

What would readers think if wheels magazine 

came out with here are our top rating new cars for 2020.

note to readers: PS oh we don't actually drive the cars, we just look at features on web sites and comments from the manufacturer and the designers

or a travel magazine with top 10 holiday destinations.

PS we haven't actually been to visit the resorts we just go by what other writers say and the pictures of resort on web site and who designed the resort.

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

#41 Crankyscott

Crankyscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:36 AM

The way its explained on Golf Australia link means the raters could go on a web site, look at the fly over and rate the course on that basis.
how can rank a course if dont play the course.

What would readers think if wheels magazine
came out with here are our top rating new cars for 2020.

note to readers: PS oh we don't actually drive the cars, we just look at features on web sites and comments from the manufacturer and the designers

or a travel magazine with top 10 holiday destinations.
PS we haven't actually been to visit the resorts we just go by what other writers say and the pictures of resort on web site and who designed the resort.

They could do that but I have think it's highly unlikely that they did. And if they did then sure the rankings lack credibility, which is perhaps the case irrespective. In the end unless you run a golf facility I'm not sure why it matters where a course is ranked, it's just another list. Enjoy the read, think about your own rankings and maybe make your own criteria or list. Nobodys is saying you can't play course 102 and enjoy it more than course 72
  • madness likes this

#42 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 10:48 AM

They could do that but I have think it's highly unlikely that they did. And if they did then sure the rankings lack credibility, which is perhaps the case irrespective. In the end unless you run a golf facility I'm not sure why it matters where a course is ranked, it's just another list. Enjoy the read, think about your own rankings and maybe make your own criteria or list. Nobodys is saying you can't play course 102 and enjoy it more than course 72

Agree fully

there are some great courses all around the country that are not on "the list "

but are easily accessible to play and in better condition and enjoyable to play (many of those in top 100 are hard to get on for bogey golfers so never going to play them anyway).

• madness likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users